Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I have bought the GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:07 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Should I have bought the GT

ORIGINAL: lmmmmm

Why stop at the GT. Get the GT500 and then no one can say anything. There's always a faster car out there no matter what you own. Iff you arent happy then get a GT and stop fretting over it. How fast do you really need to go from one red light to the next.
Excellent point. For me it was the
1: 7K additional that I would need to fork out when I purchase GT COnvertible
2: Extra $400 in insurance (I called to find out)
3: Extra 3mpg wasted on gas for daily 60mile commute.
4: GT depreciation (if purchase at 30K over 5 Year cost of ownership is 39K vs 31K for V6 if paying monthly, gas, insurance)

I am happy with my ride after some mods and it makes a great commuter. I don't have a chance to go very fast frequently so my V6 is sufficient enough. If I get an urge to drag race once in a long while, I could stick a bottle of 75shot of Nitrous and get the same output as GT when I realy needed and look at all the money I am saving. Yes, money is an issue for me right now. Money that I saved justifies keeping my spare minivan around for weekends and other stuff :-)
Old 05-31-2006, 04:40 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

+1....
ORIGINAL: thatstang

ORIGINAL: lmmmmm

Why stop at the GT. Get the GT500 and then no one can say anything. There's always a faster car out there no matter what you own. Iff you arent happy then get a GT and stop fretting over it. How fast do you really need to go from one red light to the next.
Excellent point. For me it was the
1: 7K additional that I would need to fork out when I purchase GT COnvertible
2: Extra $400 in insurance (I called to find out)
3: Extra 3mpg wasted on gas for daily 60mile commute.
4: GT depreciation (if purchase at 30K over 5 Year cost of ownership is 39K vs 31K for V6 if paying monthly, gas, insurance)

I am happy with my ride after some mods and it makes a great commuter. I don't have a chance to go very fast frequently so my V6 is sufficient enough. If I get an urge to drag race once in a long while, I could stick a bottle of 75shot of Nitrous and get the same output as GT when I realy needed and look at all the money I am saving. Yes, money is an issue for me right now. Money that I saved justifies keeping my spare minivan around for weekends and other stuff :-)
Old 05-31-2006, 04:48 PM
volley

^^^^^+2

Even though I have yet to come even close to 28MPG highway on my V6 still not getting terrible mileage.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:55 PM
firestang70
2nd Gear Member

Well I bought my GT on A plan and probably paid less than some with V6 models $23647. i'm almost 36 with no tickets it is $6/month diff for insurance, I get over 25 on long highway only trips and has never went below 19 mpg when I have kept my foot in it in the city or beat it in on the whole tank(it happens! LOL). So for me I picked the GT. Not everyone has the same situation. if I couldn't have gotten an A plan I would have gotten a V6 Pony package. Keep what you have. If you go FI you can obtain power levels of a new GT and beyond. They are well engineered cars and chasis. You don't think 6s makea viable performance option. just check out some of these guys times at the track. Or pull up to a Buick Grand National and tell them they should of gotten a V8. They will laugh every time they pass you on the track! You have a nice car, stick with it.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:34 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

I've never regretted not getting a GT. When I feel the need to go fast, I just hop on one of my Ducatis.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:03 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

You've got to be able to look at this long range. Let's say it would cost you $8000 to trade up. Then say it costs you $200 a year extra for insurance, and $100 extra for gas. Well, take that $8000 right now, and buy some good mutual funds. You can probably get 8% easy. Now, over the next 5 years, that $8000 will grow to $11,700. Now add in $1000 in saved insurance cost, and some interest on that, and you are probably at $13,000. Then add in $500 or more for more gas and higher upkeep, and you end up over $14,000. So guess what, you have your 6 cylinder now, and 40% of your GT paid off 5 years from now.....

Have you modded the car? If you do a tune and CAI, along with a muffler, it will be a different car.

I too think about this, but when I figure in the $10,000 I saved ('05 leftover vert vs. '06 vert), I am happy waiting for an '09 Mustang and I'll have 1/2 the car price as a downpayment by then.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:29 PM
harrison
1st Gear Member

Alas, I fear my desire for a GT is dieing... Had the top down and was out scooting around. In reality, unless you are racing, the GT does not do anything that the V6 won't. No flames please....

I have modded the engine with a C&L and an exhaust. I think I will pay my local store a visit and pick up some headers and do the duals for a more raunchy sound. My biggest thing now is to install my sound system. When I went looking, there was at least a $10K difference here Canada between the v6 and v8 verts. At the time, I said to myself, that's nuts for less than one litre in engine (yes, there is more than just the engine on the GT). I'm still pretty amazed by the power. We traded our Grand Prix which was a pretty peppy car but it is nothing like the stang. If things were not so stupidly expensive here in Canada, I'd even look at a supercharger. I mean really, it would be cheaper for me to drive to the States and have it installed then it would be to buy one here.

Any Canuks know of a good dealer up here?

Thanks for your comments folks!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

1. You'll lose a ton of money for nothing
2. Insurance rates
3. Mileage
4. The 6 has enough power and if you need more just do your mods
I've had my '06 since February and NOT ONCE have I thought about the GT.
I see them on the road and am happy to not have to deal with the items mentioned above!
I LOVE my windveil blue Stang. Sometimes at midnight I pour me a fine martini and sit NAKED
in the damn thing appreciating it so much.
By the way. Last year in '05 I bought a Ford 500. Nice car but I felt like an old man in a generic
white 4 door sedan. I drove it a year and finally got the Stang. Lost a lot of money so I went through that.
I'm keeping the Stang forever!! Enjoy your V6 there's no need to throw your money away!! My two cents.
Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/34417/A0305AB4CFAA488493137294EE7838DF.jpg[/IMG]