Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:41 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket.

ORIGINAL: LX200

I just did...

XCal 2 and C&L CAI (best looking CAI around) for $580 for Evolution Performance. Almost $70 cheaper than many others.
Ford Racing Axle back muffler for $225.

So, for $805, I got a huge increase in performance.

Take all the "So and So is clearly the best tuner out there" with a grain of salt. The translation is really "So and So is who I bought my tuner from, so he must be best." There has been NO scientific dyno based runoff between various tuners, so nobody is the undisputed King of anything.

What you can be sure of is that Alternative, Bamachips, Brenspeed and Evolution have tons of happy customers and virtually no unhappy ones (at least here on this forum, and this is a demanding crew).

But, undoubtably, it's axle back muffler, XCAL2 and CAI. You will be stunned by the difference, especially with the throttle response.
I agree on all points but one. I have talked with 3 shops that provide tunes/mustang performance parts and work that cofirm Lidio is the man when it comes to autos. And before my turbo, I was running TI w/Bamachips tunes, so I am not biased. And my current tune is from Powerhouse. From the research I gathered, several shops actually consult with Lidio on the auto tune. In fact, some of you with autos that didn't buy directly from Lidio may be running a tune file that Lidio has touched. Just some food for thought.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:45 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

I just did...

XCal 2 and C&L CAI (best looking CAI around) for $580 for Evolution Performance. Almost $70 cheaper than many others.
Ford Racing Axle back muffler for $225.

So, for $805, I got a huge increase in performance.

Take all the "So and So is clearly the best tuner out there" with a grain of salt. The translation is really "So and So is who I bought my tuner from, so he must be best." There has been NO scientific dyno based runoff between various tuners, so nobody is the undisputed King of anything.

What you can be sure of is that Alternative, Bamachips, Brenspeed and Evolution have tons of happy customers and virtually no unhappy ones (at least here on this forum, and this is a demanding crew).

But, undoubtably, it's axle back muffler, XCAL2 and CAI. You will be stunned by the difference, especially with the throttle response.
I agree on all points but one. I have talked with 3 shops that provide tunes/mustang performance parts and work that cofirm Lidio is the man when it comes to autos. And before my turbo, I was running TI w/Bamachips tunes, so I am not biased. And my current tune is from Powerhouse. From the research I gathered, several shops actually consult with Lidio on the auto tune. In fact, some of you with autos that didn't buy directly from Lidio may be running a tune file that Lidio has touched. Just some food for thought.

I agree!!! I have been in enough shops and over heard enough conversations to be able to say that when it come to automatics Lidio is the top guy!
Old 05-31-2006, 06:09 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Again, not substantiated by any concrete data. I had my tune done by Evolution, and my automatic shifts to perfection, both at normal driving speeds, and much better with WOT when I am cranking it. I am 100% happy with it. Now, if I bought an Alternative tune, I might say "Gee, this is better" or "Gee, this is worse" or "Gee, this feels the same". Much of this "so and so is best" talk is people repeating folklore started by a few insistent posters.

Bottom line, no data exists to support any one shop as the best. Period.

I will steadfastly tell people that I am 100% happy with my Evolution tune. I WON'T tell them it's the best tune out here BECAUSE I HAVE NO data to support that contention. It really is that cut and dry.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:18 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Again, not substantiated by any concrete data. I had my tune done by Evolution, and my automatic shifts to perfection, both at normal driving speeds, and much better with WOT when I am cranking it. I am 100% happy with it. Now, if I bought an Alternative tune, I might say "Gee, this is better" or "Gee, this is worse" or "Gee, this feels the same". Much of this "so and so is best" talk is people repeating folklore started by a few insistent posters.

Bottom line, no data exists to support any one shop as the best. Period.

I will steadfastly tell people that I am 100% happy with my Evolution tune. I WON'T tell them it's the best tune out here BECAUSE I HAVE NO data to support that contention. It really is that cut and dry.
Well, I actually have had 4 different tunes on my car from 4 different tuners. And yes, I am that bad when it comes to modding (went through 4 differnt exhaust configurations till I got it right too). I was just going by what some of the best in the business have told me. Draw your own conclusions, and I usually say, they are all pretty much the same, can't go wrong with any of the reputable tuners out there.

For me, I was actually seeing differences between tunes at the track, on the same day, under the same conditions. Case and point, I had 3 different tunes on my XCAL at the track for the 1/8th. Going from my Excessive tune to the TI tune, I went from a 9.x to a 8.9 on engine. Going from the TI tune to the Bamachips tune, I went from a 8.9 down to a 8.6. So I actually have data to back what I say up.

I simply mentioned Lidio because he is highly regarded by even the other tuners for the auto. One of the reasons is the fact that he drives his auto test mule to and from work every day, constantly tweaking. I think Doug also does this as well. On the forums, debates enrage all over the place, my tuner is better than your tuner, etc. In reality, the tuning world is very small, and all of the tunes for our cars that use XCAL2's come from one of 2 guys in the nation, that work at SCT. Then, those base tunes get modified by the tuner of your choice. So we are actually all connected. It was actually explained to me by two different people, at two different shops, both of which verified the others debrief to me.

So I really wasn't trying to push one vs. the other, cause as you can see, I have had more tuners touch my car than probably any 4.0 owner. Just wanted to provide some info based on my research and real world experiences.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:37 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

yea a real cold air intake goes down over the wheel well and right behind the bumper usually.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:38 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

yea a real cold air intake goes down over the wheel well and right behind the bumper usually.
Yep, has anyone seen one for our cars?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:10 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

the closest one is the WMS intake, ive seen a few ppl that run dryer ducting to feed their "cai"
Old 05-31-2006, 09:12 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

So do I have to drive to Michigan to get this tune?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:23 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: toosober

So do I have to drive to Michigan to get this tune?
Nope... just give them a call tomorrow morning... 1.586.463.0010
Old 05-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

scrming...as another interested auto owner party here. You mention alternative sells the C&L intake/tune combo but yet I don't see them advertising it on their site...any help here? or just call em?
How many tunes will they provide? I hear other providing 1-3 depening on the supplier.

I wil prlly get my Xcal/CAI in July.

Thanks man

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket.