Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Import V6ers more power than Stang 4.0L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Import V6ers more power than Stang 4.0L?

we should make a sticky about why the 4.0L is detuned lol.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

why is there at least two posts like this a week on MF?

How much are you paying for that v6 import? As much as v8 Mustang and in many cases MORE. You get what you pay for.

All the V6 imports you mentioned cost anywhere from 5-10K or more than a V6 stang.

Here's a better question. Name one V6 import that costs the SAME as a V6 Mustang AND has more power than the V6...can't can you? That's because the imports that cost the same as the Stang are 4cyl and the 4 bangers that have as much hp/tq as the v6 mustang also cost the same as the v6 mustang or more again.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

I have to disagree. For example, a honda Civic, the highed end model only comes with a 2.0 197hp / 139lbs Torque Engine. That car is about the same cost as a V6 Mustang and has No where near the power....

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...102438#trimsel

Look at the amazing power of the Mazda 3, the highest end model is the same cost of the mustang and has no ***** what so ever

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...zda3&trimid=-1

Acura RSX, 201 HP but no torque

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...101672#trimsel

how about the Mitsubishi Eclipse GS....Weak Weak Weak. the only good thing is the GT has 260 HP and matching Torque..but that is a bit out of the price range of a standard V6 Mustang

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...101003#trimsel

I am sorry but import cars stock are pussies and are way to much $$$ for no power

Edit: ALSO all of the above exmaples are of 4 cylinder cars but they are drastically lower powered then our V6...the only one that is powerful is the Eclipse GT, but that is a V6, not a 4
Old 06-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Erdrickk

I have to disagree. For example, a honda Civic, the highed end model only comes with a 2.0 197hp / 139lbs Torque Engine. That car is about the same cost as a V6 Mustang and has No where near the power....

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...102438#trimsel

Look at the amazing power of the Mazda 3, the highest end model is the same cost of the mustang and has no ***** what so ever

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...zda3&trimid=-1

I am sorry but import cars stock are pussies and are way to much $$$ for no power
you just made my point. An import that costs the same as Mustang will have less power while a mustang will have less power than an import V6 that costs more. Btw, Honda isn the only import (i.e VW GTI http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.n...VWG9_2M;060602 ) The VW is a good example of an import that has as much HP and almost as much TQ as the V6 stang.

costs about he same as the V6 (1.5K more) and has as much power as the Mustang.

Honda's may have less tq/hp, but they're lighter. So hate to tell ya a '***** Si' will at least keep up with V6 stang. I have nothing but Ford in my garage but I recognize the fact that a fat car (mustang) with more power than a skinny car with less power is an apples to apples comparison.

Mini Cooper S no '*****' but because it's such a feather weight, it does pretty well. Cost as much as a GT stang though but then cooper IS a Beemer

Here, let's take a 425hp motor. SOunds good so far, okay, now lets drop it into a 4800 steel slug... you just droped a few seconds off your 1/4 mile time and put it in the same group as a 300hp car that weight 1000lbs less. Make the connection? (SRT/8 Vs Mustang GT)
Old 06-09-2006, 06:32 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

The new Si and RSX-S are just as quick as a v6 Mustang, sure they have about 10 less horses and 100 less tq stock, but they also weigh 700-800 lbs less.

The rest i agree with though, and the best import v6 to compare the Mustang to is the Tibby v6GT which makes a pathetic 172 chp/ 180 tq out of a 2.7 v6.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

jericho73 Date 6/9/2006 4:32:43 PM
The new Si and RSX-S are just as quick as a v6 Mustang, sure they have about 10 less horses and 100 less tq stock, but they also weigh 700-800 lbs less.

The rest i agree with though, and the best import v6 to compare the Mustang to is the Tibby v6GT which makes a pathetic 172 chp/ 180 tq out of a 2.7 v6.
r u tryn to defend them?

Look, you own a 4.0L mustang. It has been detuned for better gas mileage. Its a FORD so LOVE IT FOR WHAT IT IS!!!! Not what it isn't!!!! If you don't like the power the V6 stang makes go out and buy an import or GT. If all you want to do is own most imports slap a s/c on it and you'll be eating rice forever. My point is just be happy with what you have, and if its not what you want then either modify to be what you want or sell it. Its just that simple. my last point ITS AMERICAN NEED I SAY MORE?????!!!!! I thaught not.

[sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif]
Old 06-09-2006, 07:38 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Trill Gear Head

jericho73 Date 6/9/2006 4:32:43 PM

r u tryn to defend them?

Look, you own a 4.0L mustang. It has been detuned for better gas mileage. Its a FORD so LOVE IT FOR WHAT IT IS!!!! Not what it isn't!!!! If you don't like the power the V6 stang makes go out and buy an import or GT. If all you want to do is own most imports slap a s/c on it and you'll be eating rice forever. My point is just be happy with what you have, and if its not what you want then either modify to be what you want or sell it. Its just that simple. my last point ITS AMERICAN NEED I SAY MORE?????!!!!! I thaught not.

[sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=closed.gif]
I'm not defending anything because there's nothing to defend. I'm just stating the new Si and RSX-S are as quick as our v6, which are facts. I love my v6 and i'm so proud of it being a 6 i won't do things like duals that make it look more like the GT. Show me one place i said it didn't have enough power for me, or i didn't like it, or even alluded to that. You can't.

But just because i love my car doesn't mean i have blinders on towartds other cars merits. And i love my car because its fun and a good looking car, not because of where its company is from...imports make some damn good and impressive cars also.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:28 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

There is so much that goes into making power... displacement is first, but not the only factor. Compression is another big one, valve number/timing, cam duration, etc...

I like the way Ford did it. Leaves us more room to tinker.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:45 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

well i'm into specifics and this post didn't provide very many but it did head me in the right direction to find my answers. thanks ALL for your input!..............the reason i posted this in the first place was because a friend of mine owns a 350Z and his car rates at 287hp and 274lb-ft torque with 3.5L engine. i wondered how his car can produce so much if my car is a 4.0L. now i basically understood that his comes factory performanced tuned which is why they require 91 octane right off the lot but i wondered if i could match that getting my car performanced tuned. well obviously there are other factors in this situation with a major one being that his V6 sports 4 valves per cylinder versus our 4.0L stangs' 2 valves per cylinder (i finally took a closer look at the 350Z's specs). his car was basically designed for high performance while our stangs were designed to affordably turn heads with solid power and the POTENTIAL of producing high performance numbers if we so choose. i guess the only way our 4.0 stangs could match or beat 350Z numbers is if they sported a 24 valve DOHC with a factory tune or even basic tunes from SCT or DIABLO tuners. this is the basic conclusion i have come up with based on further research from all your replies and inputs. feel free to reply with corrections to my conclusion or more helpful info. KNOWLEDGE is the key to smoking punks off the line and i'm all for that! (just need to know who you're trying to smoke or you'll get smoked!)
Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 AM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

+ our cars will always look better than any import out there

Quick Reply: Import V6ers more power than Stang 4.0L?