Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3M tape accessories - How to remove?

Old 06-09-2006, 02:52 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default 3M tape accessories - How to remove?

Once you put on scoop or louvers or other body items with 3M tape, can this stuff ever be removed without ruining the paint?? If so, how?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:57 AM
jlcljayne
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 3M tape accessories - How to remove?

Funny you should ask. I just installed my honeycomb rear panel and stupid thing slipped out of my hand right when I was setting it...ended up about 3/8 of an inch off. AAARRRGHHHH....so I spent about 1 1/2 hours removing it and cleaning it up for a second time.

Not sure what your situation is or how much 3m tape you are dealing with by mine was a @$%^@. I bought 3m adhesive remover from walmart...sprayed under edges a few times...ran some high strength fishing line back and forth to cut the 3m tape...heated a little with a heat gun...be careful....and applied gentle pressure...slow and tedious but worked well for me. Managed to scratch my paint about a 1/4" but its under where the panel will be...2nd attempt is tomorrow.

Fishing line and the adhesive remover is key....just be patient and hold the line up so it rubs against your part and not the paint....

Hope that helps...good luck!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:43 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I did the same thing with my honeycomb panel, fortunatly it's only about 1/32" off but it's bugging the **** out of me. I emailed the place I bought mine from to get advise on how to remove but they won't respond (Silverhorse Racing). I'll try your method.
ORIGINAL: jlcljayne

Funny you should ask. I just installed my honeycomb rear panel and stupid thing slipped out of my hand right when I was setting it...ended up about 3/8 of an inch off. AAARRRGHHHH....so I spent about 1 1/2 hours removing it and cleaning it up for a second time.

Not sure what your situation is or how much 3m tape you are dealing with by mine was a @$%^@. I bought 3m adhesive remover from walmart...sprayed under edges a few times...ran some high strength fishing line back and forth to cut the 3m tape...heated a little with a heat gun...be careful....and applied gentle pressure...slow and tedious but worked well for me. Managed to scratch my paint about a 1/4" but its under where the panel will be...2nd attempt is tomorrow.

Fishing line and the adhesive remover is key....just be patient and hold the line up so it rubs against your part and not the paint....

Hope that helps...good luck!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

Home Depot. It's called GooBeGone. It even took yellow road paint off my wifes car. Used it to remove some badgeing off anothe car that was on with tape. Won't harm the paint.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:55 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Thanks, I'll get some today. I see you have the rear panel also so you know how much tape is used to put those things on, do you think this GooBeGone will be effective on that big of a piece? And how do you get the stuff behind the panel? Is it a spray or is it thick gooey stuff?
ORIGINAL: Fig06

Home Depot. It's called GooBeGone. It even took yellow road paint off my wifes car. Used it to remove some badgeing off anothe car that was on with tape. Won't harm the paint.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

The panel has strips already on it around the edges. The whole peice is not covered in adhesive. Just be real sure to have some extra alchol wipes. What they send is not enough. Either wipes or a bottle of denatured alchol will work. Get a helper for positioning. try a dry fit first ( Don't peel the paper of the adhesive strips ). You'll notice the is some side to side flex. Jusy play around a bit before you go the hard mount. Keep going back over it once you have installed to get it seated real tight.
Love the look of mine.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:51 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I already put it on, now I have to take it off and do it over. I'm more interested in how to take it off without damage.
ORIGINAL: Fig06

The panel has strips already on it around the edges. The whole peice is not covered in adhesive. Just be real sure to have some extra alchol wipes. What they send is not enough. Either wipes or a bottle of denatured alchol will work. Get a helper for positioning. try a dry fit first ( Don't peel the paper of the adhesive strips ). You'll notice the is some side to side flex. Jusy play around a bit before you go the hard mount. Keep going back over it once you have installed to get it seated real tight.
Love the look of mine.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

Some folks have had sucess with WD40. I have never used it myself on tape. Try a can and use that straw in the nozzel and just soak the sh*t out of it. If you get a good edge up grabd some dental floss ( whole container) nad use a sawing motion to get under the tape.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:42 PM
jlcljayne
1st Gear Member

The adhesive remover stuff I used is a clear liquid that you can spray behind the panels...let soak, spray again, let soak, etc. I complimented this with a heat gun, gentle pressure until I got the panel to move a little...then cut through tape with a putty knife...scary yeah but I didn't scratch the paint...just go slow and careful. Fishing line back and forth behind the panel got me started.

I dry fit mine about 5 times before I tried fitting it but when that tape touches anything...its on there for good. My second attempt, I will try to line it up with the bottom edge of the trunk and not the top....there is more of a definite line at the bottom...in theory, if the bottom is perfectly straight and centered then the top should be perfect. Also....they went overkill on that 3m tape...gonna use a little less this time.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:02 PM
jlcljayne
1st Gear Member

Ok...cleaned everything up and put my honeycomb panel on straight this time! 5 minute job turned into 2 hours...typical for me.

I bought scotch brand outdoor two sided tape...heavy duty from home depot...$4. I put it in the same areas the 3m tape was. This time when I put the panel on, I kept the trunk closed and got on the knees to fit it....put it on ever so lightly and got out the tape measure and checked clearance to bumper on both sides...when aligned, I gently pushed panel from the inside out on the top and bottom. I can tell this tape is just a little weaker than the 3m stuff but still could barely move the panel when it was on lightly...after securing...can even budge it a fraction.

Pain in the **** but I hope this info helps the next person...its straight and I like! Also painted my tail lights to resemble trim...turned out great...nice compliment to the honeycomb panel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3M tape accessories - How to remove?