Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Motive Gears Suck!

Old 06-10-2006, 12:36 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

Default Motive Gears Suck!

I highly recommend that anyone thinking of buying Motive Gears should reconsider and buy something else. I had my Motive's installed yesterday and it was nothing but trouble. The pinion gear didn't fit on the flange and had to be ground down to make it fit, the pinion bearing was a nightmare to get on and to top it off they whine very loudly. I put about 170 miles on them and they are just getting louder. I should have heeded the words of others with Motives that had gear whine. [:@]

I now have an appointment for next Saturday to have them replaced with a set of Ford Motorsport gears which according to the guys at Excessive Motorsport are made by Genuine Gear and not Motive. They have installed many Motives and Ford gears and have not had any problems with the Ford gears and trouble with many of the Motives they have installed.

For all those out there that had Motives installed and got lots of gear whine I can sympathize and can honestly say that it is in all likely hood the gears and not the installer in most cases that results in excessive gear whine. The guys at Excessive Motorsport know their stuff and do good work so I trust their judgement on this. To quote Chris at Excessive "Motive Gears suck!". [sm=headbang.gif]

Now that my rant is done I also got my car dyno tuned and was rather disappointed with the hp numbers though pleased with the torque numbers. I have 5 speed manual with Mac shorty headers, duals and Steeda CAI with Bamachips SCT2 93 Octane performance tune installed. Before the dyno tune my numbers were (SAE corrected) 191 hp - 226 tq. After the dyno tune they were 199.57 hp - 237 tq. That's an increase of a little over 8 hp and 11 tq. not too bad. I just don't understand why my hp numbers are so low though. Later I will be posting a can of my dyno sheet. The torque curve is pretty flat at least which is good.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:42 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Motive Gears Suck!

ORIGINAL: vb101

I highly recommend that anyone thinking of buying Motive Gears should reconsider and buy something else. I had my Motive's installed yesterday and it was nothing but trouble. The pinion gear didn't fit on the flange and had to be ground down to make it fit, the pinion bearing was a nightmare to get on and to top it off they whine very loudly. I put about 170 miles on them and they are just getting louder. I should have heeded the words of others with Motives that had gear whine. [:@]

I now have an appointment for next Saturday to have them replaced with a set of Ford Motorsport gears which according to the guys at Excessive Motorsport are made by Genuine Gear and not Motive. They have installed many Motives and Ford gears and have not had any problems with the Ford gears and trouble with many of the Motives they have installed.

For all those out there that had Motives installed and got lots of gear whine I can sympathize and can honestly say that it is in all likely hood the gears and not the installer in most cases that results in excessive gear whine. The guys at Excessive Motorsport know their stuff and do good work so I trust their judgement on this. To quote Chris at Excessive "Motive Gears suck!". [sm=headbang.gif]

Now that my rant is done I also got my car dyno tuned and was rather disappointed with the hp numbers though pleased with the torque numbers. I have 5 speed manual with Mac shorty headers, duals and Steeda CAI with Bamachips SCT2 93 Octane performance tune installed. Before the dyno tune my numbers were (SAE corrected) 191 hp - 226 tq. After the dyno tune they were 199.57 hp - 237 tq. That's an increase of a little over 8 hp and 11 tq. not too bad. I just don't understand why my hp numbers are so low though. Later I will be posting a can of my dyno sheet. The torque curve is pretty flat at least which is good.

Chris @ Excessive took my motives out too due to gear whine, and I figured it would be a good time to change the gear ratio to 3.73's. My motives were 4.10s.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:27 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Motive is making the gears for Ford Racing now, aren't they?
Old 06-10-2006, 02:59 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

I thought they only made them for ford for a short while, and that has passed. The ones i bought from ford dont whine, and have the ford oval on the pinion gear.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:04 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

motive gears do whine, but its cause they are made to absorb the shock from hard launches so they dont break. Just cause they whine doesnt make them a load of crap. If you like a soft, quiet, comfortable ride then buy a cadillac! I kind of like the whine, actually. And when i put royal purple synthetic in they quieted down a bit. And my installer had no problem getting them to fit right in...
Old 06-10-2006, 03:50 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

The whine of my Motives is something to behold. It's not just a little whine it's LOUD with a capital L and just keeps getting louder despite my driving conservatively as per break in period. When Chris at Excessive had to grind down the splines on the pinion gear it was a sign that it was just not meant to be. Things never seem to go right for me the first time around, the second time around sometimes also. [>:]

I have a lighter weight custom driveshaft coming in hopefully next week so when I get it installed, assuming nothing goes wrong, I'll get it on the dyno to see if lightweight driveshafts really do make a difference in hp and tq.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:23 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

you just had them installed incorrectly, thats the only time gears should whine
Old 06-10-2006, 04:58 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

yea, my mechanic didnt have to grind away at anything. Mine were loud at first but they do get quiet. If you dont like them, then pay the money to have them swapped out. But they are not junk, the softer metal just makes them whine.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:44 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

More than likely it's the angle of the gears' pitch that make them whine. Racing gears usually have straighter pitch to make them stronger. That's why straight-cut Helical gears in blowers and gear drives whine.Air gets trapped when the gears mesh making the noise.

Or it could be an improper install if they are VERY loud.

This reminds me of the reviews on the '65 Shelby GT-350s when they were new. People complained of the noisy Detroit Locker rear that sounded "like the rearend was cracking in half" when it unlocked. The mufflers were loud. The override traction bars were noisy. The clutch was like a beginners Charles Atlas course. People thought that they wanted a race car until they drove one.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:56 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

I actually watched them do the install and from all the research I did on installation of gears they did everything they were supposed to. It's entirely possible that I just got a bad set of gears. It happens. I bought a new Alpine stereo for my Ranger and would you know it it was defective. I bought a Sony VCR that was possessed, ie defective. I bought a Sony DVD player, their top of the line model at the time, that stopped recording after two months. My first SCT2 was defective and had to be sent back and replaced. Basically, if there is something out there that's defective you can bet I'll get it. That's the way my luck runs. For all those that have Motives and have had no problems with them and are happy with them that's good. I was not so fortunate.

I am getting them swapped out for the Ford Racing gears. Hopefully those will be ok.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motive Gears Suck!