Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

single exhaust kits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 07:46 PM
ricekiller06
2nd Gear Member

Default single exhaust kits?

has any one seen an exhaust kit for the mustang V6. i know i have not, then again the only place i looked into was flowmaster. do you think any place else makes a kit, for instance, magnaflow, borla, or any place else. if you know anything please share. because all i have on my car is the flowmaster muffler but i want horsepower.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:54 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: single exhaust kits?

ORIGINAL: ricekiller06

has any one seen an exhaust kit for the mustang V6. i know i have not, then again the only place i looked into was flowmaster. do you think any place else makes a kit, for instance, magnaflow, borla, or any place else. if you know anything please share. because all i have on my car is the flowmaster muffler but i want horsepower.

v6mustangstuff.com

THink they have what you are looking for. Borla racing muffler, I think they also sell a magnaflow single and a jba single....Also, check out MRT..Scrming has a website I suggest you read. Very informative.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:13 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

Do you mean you want a catback? Because on the Mustang you don't need one...the purpose of a catback is to replace the small stock piping 4-bangers for example come with. Let's the exhaust gases flo more freely. But the Mustang piping is already large enough that the exhaust gasses already flow well, the problem is all with the muffler, all the crap Ford packed in their...you won't see any more gains by replacing the whole piping vs replacing the whole muffler.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:25 PM
ricekiller06
2nd Gear Member

no i didn't know that i dont need a catback. but now that i think of it i would just want a full single or even a dual exhaust for it. i have a flowmaster axle-back muffler. if i was going to buy a full exhaust i would need to headers as well correct for a bigger increase in hp. also do you think it is okay if i mix up brands? like a magnaflow exhaust and jba headers?
Old 06-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

you can mix as much as you want as long as its symetrical. (you know matching mufflers on each side) or else we will all slap you verbally.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

no i didn't know that i dont need a catback. but now that i think of it i would just want a full single or even a dual exhaust for it. i have a flowmaster axle-back muffler. if i was going to buy a full exhaust i would need to headers as well correct for a bigger increase in hp. also do you think it is okay if i mix up brands? like a magnaflow exhaust and jba headers?
All you need is the single axle-back, duals are just for looks, they may provide 2-3rwhp, but mainly duals are for the look. As long as you replace the stock muffler with a performance one <MRT,JBA,Flowmaster, Mac etc> you got 99% of the gain to be had from modding the exhaust. Any headersyou buy will have the same diameter outlet as the current pipe, so no you don't need to replace the piping for headers. You can get long tube headers as well, if you want the most whp n/a, but those replace the cats, will throw a cel, and are illegal as hell. Oh, and if your state checks emissions, they won't pass. Mixing brands is fine.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:42 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Harry_F

you can mix as much as you want as long as its symetrical. (you know matching mufflers on each side) or else we will all slap you verbally.

LOL[sm=smiley36.gif] Though it is funny, I would not be surprised if somone has done it....
Old 06-11-2006, 09:34 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jericho73

All you need is the single axle-back, duals are just for looks, they may provide 2-3rwhp, but mainly duals are for the look. As long as you replace the stock muffler with a performance one <MRT,JBA,Flowmaster, Mac etc> you got 99% of the gain to be had from modding the exhaust. Any headersyou buy will have the same diameter outlet as the current pipe, so no you don't need to replace the piping for headers. You can get long tube headers as well, if you want the most whp n/a, but those replace the cats, will throw a cel, and are illegal as hell. Oh, and if your state checks emissions, they won't pass. Mixing brands is fine.
Don't forget the SOUND man![sm=pimp.gif]
Old 06-11-2006, 09:51 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

i have a flowmaster axle-back muffler.
What does your "flowmaster axle-back muffler sound like? A friend wants to sell me one but he says it sounds bad and is too loud for him. I don't want to install it and then be disappointed in the sound.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

When I swap my factory single exhaust for something better (likely a GT muffler), does anything have to be done to the engine in terms of tuning? If there's less back pressure from a GT muffler, could this have any sort of negative impact on the engine?

PS: Would there be any fuel gains from upgrading the muffler?

Ken

Quick Reply: single exhaust kits?