Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Advice on buying a 2006 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 04:27 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Advice on buying a 2006 Mustang

Pay attention to what these guys are saying. I wished I found this place BEFORE I got my ride, I would've been better prepared for walking into a dealership.

My advice to you is: Don't be afraid to say "No". If you want certain things, the get those things. The salesmen want to make the sale.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:41 PM
SafetyEngineer

Ford has a special promotion for employees going on right now, known as the Ambassador Plan.

See if you know anyone in the area that may work for Ford, you can get X-plan pricing, which is below invoice.

That, along with the 0% financing and the $1,000 gas card makes this a good time to get a Mustang.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 PM
MRock

The last few days of the month is when they will lower the price to meet quota and a good rain storm won't hurt when your the only customer crazy enough to go shopping.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Fellini 8.5

Just got mine on X-Plan, the price is just a smidge under invoice. And they automatically give you all the published rebates and programs on top of that (but not likely *all* the program $$, as that's how the dealer makes money). So that worked out to be ~$75 under invoice, $1000 back & 0%-36mo. Reasonable for a no-haggle deal.

Where they made more money off of me was my trade. Though they went through great lengths to make me feel like I was the one ahead on the deal, I probably could have squeezed at another $500 out of it if I were a good negotiator. But sometimes life is to short to get worked up over squeezing every last dime out of a deal.

To qualify for X-Plan, you have to be an employee or spouse of an employee of a partner company. A *lot* of companies are considered partner companies, and a good dealership should help you find out -- though they'll rarely volunteer that info unless you're in a big corp with a big local presence (they'll want you to tell your all co-workers just how easy and no-haggle the experience is).

In a lot of ways, thanks to the internet, "Invoice" is the new MSRP, and really should be your benchmark for your deal. There's *always* profit money to be found by the dealer, even if it comes out under "invoice". Especially if you let them arrange financing; then they get a cut out of your monthly interest too. $$$
Old 06-14-2006, 12:13 AM
hazestang
2nd Gear Member

all of this advise is very good, my .02, go just before lunch, when they start talking numbers, tell them they are getting close to the price you want, but not quit there, you will think about it over lunch and be back in an hour or so. when you come back, tell them if they hit "your price" they will have a deal, if not, you can wait till they can hit it. VERY important, be ready and willing to walk out go to more than one dealer

second, make sure you get the pony package, it will save a lot of money in modifications you will eventually make anyway
Old 06-14-2006, 01:16 AM
jlcljayne
1st Gear Member

If you wanna have fun....test drive a mustang from one dealer and take it to another when you look at their inventory. Nothing is more fun than trying to steal business from another dealer. Back in the day, I took several cars back to competing dealers to tell them I just sold their customer a car....the managers will go nuts trying to meet your terms...they obviously know they have competition...will keep them honest. Try it....its a lot of fun. Managers will unsually spot you a mile a way and tell the salespeople to make it happen...I have personally done this and it makes dealers work a little harder...plus its fun.