Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Advice on buying a 2006 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:34 PM
EG

Default Advice on buying a 2006 Mustang

I just found this site and have been looking for some advice/help on buying a new v6 Mustang coupe. I was on the phone with a sales guy today and he agreed to sell an '06 coupe to me at invoice. With the 1K cash back, I'd be at about 1 K over invoice. I am not exactly sure what the invoice on the car is, but the MSRP is $ 21, 735 (interior upgrade package and couple other extras) and my research has shown that the invoice on the '06 is about 1500-1700 below the MSRP. This would be my first new car purchase (I drive a Probe GT now), so I am a little cautious about pulling the trigger. Is invoice a good deal on an '06? Should I be trying to push further?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have for me.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:11 AM
jlcljayne
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Advice on buying a 2006 Mustang

Go to KBB.COM and pick the new car option....book the new car and add the options. This will give you a pretty close invoice amount. I would like to help you if I can...I have 5 years experience in the auto business and can probably help you with the process.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:15 AM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Cannot help you like jlcljayne can, but I will tell you this. I walked into a dealership and when evertyhing was said and done the guy punched some things on his computer and said "How does 5,000 down and 450 a month sound?" and I said "That is way out of my budget and so he punched in the computer again "How does 500 down and 410 a month sound?" So I got up and walked out.

Finally ended up with 2 down and 350 a month at another place and I felt much happier.

By the way JLC, that is cool for you to offer your help. You go into my cool book for that one.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:28 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

You'll be right above Mickey Mouse, but still below Dafy Duck. I'm Not in his cool book, I'm in the "Other" one...LMAO

THis time of year you should be able to get a great price on a new mustang. Good luck man!
ORIGINAL: teacherman

By the way JLC, that is cool for you to offer your help. You go into my cool book for that one.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:37 AM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

If you take your car for trade in, don't let them take your keys... that way you can walk out if the offer doesn't sound right and force their hand a little quicker. THat's the game the dealership played on me when I bought mine. I still got a really good deal, but it took 5 hours... It was really kinda stressful.

Get a manual transmission They will practically throw it at you to get it off the lot, and from my experience so far, you will love to drive it.

You might also look at the used lot, I bought mine with 2k miles on it, with the remainder of the factory warranty, and an option to purchase the extended warranty at any time until the 3/36 warranty expired, and saved about 3k. If you get a used certified vehicle you get a 6/60 warranty and qualify for low interest rates through ford finance. I got lucky when i found mine, it had about everything I wanted on it. Though I kinda wish I had gotten one with the pony package now. I like those wheels.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:45 AM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blazen351

You'll be right above Mickey Mouse, but still below Dafy Duck. I'm Not in his cool book, I'm in the "Other" one...LMAO

THis time of year you should be able to get a great price on a new mustang. Good luck man!
ORIGINAL: teacherman

True Blazen, you are in my "deserves a cold brew only if wearing the Devil costume outfit" book. You are in there and so is Linda Blair LOL!
Old 06-13-2006, 12:52 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

mmm beer....gonna go get the horns and latex glue out.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:35 AM
EG

I appreciate the help, I checked KBB.com, and couldn't quite get an exact match to the MSRP of the Mustang I am looking at. I was able to put in options that got it very, very close. What I found there was that the invoice on a similary equipped Mustang would be about $20, 050. I assume I would be looking at about $ 19, 100 or 19, 200 plus the tax, title and license once the 1 K cash back was figured in. What's strange is I did a new car auction on MyCar.com and the best deal I was offered by a dealership was $65 over invoice. This dealership I am dealing with now actually bid on my auction at $1200 above invoice. I called them up and they were pretty quickly willing to go to invoice, which makes me wonder if invoice is a good deal on a Mustang at this time.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:08 AM
jlcljayne
1st Gear Member

In general, if you can purchase a vehicle at true invoice than its a good deal. A "blue oval" Ford dealership gets a dealer holdback at 4% of the MSRP. If you see cars advertised below invoice then the dealers are giving up a little of this money or they have factory to dealer incentives.

There is a time you become happy with the deal and your purchase. If you now shop for a mustang under invoice then you will be doing a lot of work for a chance to save 100-200 dollars...and possibly ruining the new car experience for yourself.

I bought my pony package about 3 months ago...paid invoice plus a $99 administrative fee and felt good with that. Now you have an additional $1,000 in rebates available to you and possibly another 500 if you finance with Ford...another $500 if you meet the college criteria.

A good purchase for a consumer is as close to invoice as possible retaining all incentives offered or available. The dealership will always make a small profit and they should. That is a win-win for everyone.

Buying a car is easy, getting a smokin deal is a pain in the ****. Tell me more specifics about your buying situation and what kind of dealership you are dealing with and I can possibly help it go smoother for ya.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

You should be able to find an 06 V6 for less than invoice. Keep looking if you are at invoice or higher. Dealers are STOCKED!!!

Always buy negotiating the car price not the car payment. You wont get screwed in the end.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a 2006 Mustang