Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vibration in Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Default Vibration in Steering Wheel?

Hi,

I have been chasing a wobble in the steering wheel, ever since adding my custom wheels. Many of you whom add custom wheels to your new mustang need to be aware of a couple things when installing them. If you buy a factory rims or knock-off factory rims, you will not need any other items. If you choose a aftermarket set, the machine of the center bore of the wheel larger than most, so they can cover many applications with only one wheel. This brings us to the problem and solution. If you have installed aftermarket rims, and feel any vibration or wobble you may want to look into hub ecentric rings. They locate the new wheel on center, instead of where in lies when installed. Be aware that they make them in aluminum and composite, and the aluminum ones will hold moisture and create a corrosion issue with the steel hubs. For instance my new rims have a wheel I.D. of 73mm, and the hub size of our cars is 70.5mm which gives you a difference of 2.5mm. I actually used a spacer with 73mm O.D. and a 70.30mm I.D., the parts actually measured 72.80 O.D. and 70.35 O.D. which allowed me an interferrence fit with the hub expanding the spacer closer to the 73mm I.D. of the wheel. This solved my wobble vibrations issues, and I'm sure there are many other people out there whom have just accepted this condition with there aftermarket wheels. I had been told the following by leading tire/whhel stores:

- your wheels are flexing because of the offset (35mm ? - This is the factory GT offset!)
- that is what you have to live with with aftermarket wheels (shouldn't they be more precise?)
- you have a bad tire or balance issue ( I had them rebalance 3 times with a Hunter road force balancer and rotated all wheels/tires to the front and back, 4 bad wheels/tires - I don't think so!)
- you are too picky, you should just put the factory wheels back on (What? Why?)
- factory wheels are the only ones that will work on your vehicle (Uhhhh no!)

If you do a Google search on hub ecentric rings, you can educate yourself and any Belle Tire carries them in stock. If I had a dollar for every stupid person I've spoke to, I would have the car paid off right now! I am an automotive designer by day, any understand things better than most shops or tire stores. Expansion is required for the correct fit, but you should be able to hit the right setup in a couple trys. *Remember use the plastic/composite ones or have some precision steel ones made. When I removed my wheels last night they had held moisture and rusted the flanges.

I hope this helps!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vibration in Steering Wheel?

WOW! You certainly did your research! Im sure many will benefit from that.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:30 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Yeah hubcentric rings are designed for a wheel that was intended to fit various vehicles. I used to sell wheels, more often than not that was the problem. MOST aftermarket rims will center properly if installed correctly and tightened using the proper sequence, MOST techs do not PROPERLY tighten a wheel to a car and I can say easily that more than half dont even torque em.
-P.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:21 PM
bztz4m
2nd Gear Member

The only problem I have with wheel wobble with my Raceline GT wheels is when it rains and the rain collects in the inside of the rim since there is a groove which the rain collects in. In the dry weather I don't have any problems. I emailed Raceline about this issue but I guess they blew me off since I have not heard anything from them.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:30 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Yeah! Falken Wheel/Tire blew me off too. I guess once they have your money, they don't care!