Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What about ethanol?

Old 06-14-2006, 02:17 AM
tGrey5spd

Default What about ethanol?

Is anyone in an area where ethanol is mixed with the gas at the pumps? Ethanol is coming, it's driven by both our reliance on mid eastern oil and the fact that it burns cleaner. Anyone using it? Where can I find out the maximum amount of ethanol Ford recommends for this v6? What is the down side? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:32 AM
kemo24
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What about ethanol?

i think its 10% is the max .
Old 06-14-2006, 02:36 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

The Mustang isn't a flex fuel vehicle... no E85 in our tanks!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:38 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

The downside of ethanol is it has less energy than gasoline. That being said, Fords gain a few HP when running it. Don't ask me how this is.... I don't get it myself, that's just what I've learned through research. I do know ethanol has an octane rating of 104 to 110 octane.

The important thing to know is that only certain vehicles can run it. Ford and GM are paving the way. Both Fords and GM FFVs (flexible fuel vehicles) lose MPG when running straight ethanol. GMs lose both MPG and power, though. This has something to do with how the Ford PCM/ECM adjusts the car's tune when running ethanol.

The two main limiting factors to running ethanol in your car is the PCM/ECM and the composition of your fuel system. Ethanol is more corrosive than gasoline and destroys rubber quicker. There are several components in your fuel system that need to be ethanol-ready. I tried running a tank of ethanol in my Chevy Avalanche, since the newer models can run it w/o issue. It was simply experimental, but I learned a lot. The older models do not have the right O2 sensors to be able accurately detect the "rich" condition ethanol causes. I had all sorts of engine codes when I pulled the tuner out. The truck ran a little weird, which was enough to make me fill it up with 87 octane once the tank was done.

You can learn a lot more by going to E85.org
Old 06-14-2006, 03:27 AM
tGrey5spd

Yea, I was not planning to run E85 but thinking of adding a percentage to the gas myself. So I'm hearing your 10 % and checking out the link next. I'm hoping that will tell me what parts need to be ethanol ready. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:55 AM
kemo24
1st Gear Member

up in wisconsin a lot of gas stations have 10% in there gas and thay say its safe. for all cars.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:47 AM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

15% is the Max recommended for every day driving.

I read that filling up on E85 in a non-flex fuel vehicle can be done and the vehicle will run, but it's not good in the long run, and you may get a check engine light. There are companies claiming that they will be releasing conversion kits so it is compatible with both e85 and regular, however ford says that a Regular Gasoline Engine has parts designed for regular fuel that can't be changed and e85 is not good for.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Read this:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-promises.html
Old 06-14-2006, 09:39 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

My understanding is up to about 20% blend max (in VA, we are using 10%), it should remove moisture from the gas much like dry gas does in the Winter. It will not deliver the MPG like a full petroleum fuel, but should perform better then full petroleum based fuel. Both my ESCAPE and my 05 MUSTANG run fine on it. The CHECK ENGINE light on my ESCAPE just appeared, but that vehicle is in need of maintenance, it has run well on the blend.

None of us should EVER run the 85% FLEX FUEL ethanol in our cars, there is a specific vehicle designed to run that blend, NONE of our gasoline specific cars should ever get in intentionally.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:15 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

I don't wanna run ethonal!! Do have that option? I don't know what the heck they do here but I don't think any percentage of the gas is ethonal over here. I haven't even seen seperate pumps like said they were gunna do. Are they trying to make that the gas for everything? I dont get it how can they just switch the gas on us like that. IM they are slowly working it in but it still sucks.