Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What the hell is this woman talking about!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 PM
msoar00

Default What the hell is this woman talking about!

Newbie here! just got my first mustang and god help me I've never been so in love with a car in my life! Thing is the whole reason for my new car was because I was in a bad accident and crashed my 01 4 CYL Eclipse GS. Anyway now I'm driving the mustang and even though it has a wider stance and is a bigger car, I feel every single bump that I go over and I just dont feel like I have as great cornering ability as the Eclipse. The tight turns I used to be able to make in the Eclipse I cant do in the Mustang. So I'm thinking its either because A)I'm being sensitive due to the accident I was just in or B) the car is RWD and the Eclipse was FWD?

The car came with the stock 16 tires (bought used had about 10,000 miles) but they have lots of tread left. Will buying bigger/better tires help or is it the shocks that matter?

Old 06-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What the hell is this woman talking about!

The tires and rims might help ,IMO the stock tires suck! Especially in the rain; also there are alot of suspension mods out there but im not sure about those youll have to wait till someone with more info to chime in, I dont want to act like a know alot about suspension cause I dont at all, I just repeat what I here from others! LOL!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Oh BTW congrats on the new stang youll love it! Especially since your last car was an eclipse!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:38 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Moving up to 17" wheels will help... I have the same Pirelli's the GT uses (a lot of 4.0 guys have this upgrade) and they do a good job... certainly much, much better than the stock BFG's. Also, a limited slip differential will help with both launches and cornering... keeping power to both rear wheels. But, really, the stock tires are one of the main drawbacks.

You can often find GT take-off bullit wheels/tires for very little... like $400 for the entire set.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

i just have 2 say... our mustangs have like the greatest turning radius ever... i can do full u turns w/o doing 3 point turns and get into some crazy parking spots and everyone is always like wow.... how did u do that, ive never seen anyone do that from this spot ....

i love our stangs, lol
Old 06-14-2006, 09:51 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Since you didn't mention it and you have 16 inch wheel, i guessing that rules out the pony packages... so that mean NO rear sway bar! I am however surprised you say you feel every bump. The stock springs seem awful mushy to me... basically you need to upgrade some of the suspension to get a better cornering car...

1) Add rear sway bar
2) Get rid of the stock springs. Lowering springs will make it ride a bit stiffer... i found it to help the handling
3) Moving to a bigger wheel and lower profile tires will help
4) replace the panhard bar... some have reported that it helped firm up the rear..

That should get you on your way to better cornering...
Old 06-14-2006, 09:51 PM
msoar00

So hamidlmt any website suggestions on where I can find the tires/rims? Also umm...ok girl here remember that... whats a limited slip differential?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:34 PM
stoneblue
2nd Gear Member

Like scriming replied, I think the pony package makes a big diferance. Mine feels smooth, All stock so far.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 PM
LisaJ429
2nd Gear Member

+1
ORIGINAL: Puleo76

i just have 2 say... our mustangs have like the greatest turning radius ever... i can do full u turns w/o doing 3 point turns and get into some crazy parking spots and everyone is always like wow.... how did u do that, ive never seen anyone do that from this spot ....

i love our stangs, lol
Old 06-14-2006, 11:44 PM
TheWatcher
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LisaJ429

+1
ORIGINAL: Puleo76

i love our stangs, lol

Yeah, are cars do have a great turning radius!

Quick Reply: What the hell is this woman talking about!