Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New question about lowering (last post)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:34 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Default New question about lowering (last post)

Ok, SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!!! BUT PLEASE HELP! so i went to Sear's auto department (LOL i know sorry) and asked how much it is to lower my mustang, they sed 800, i sed wow no thanks, so i look on ebay and find a set of lowering springs for arround 120 bucks, But i read somewhere that JUST the springs will junk the stock shocks and also may make sumthing out of alignment.... (explain please?!) so i talked to sumone at my local shop and they sed i needed the Camber plates (???) for a proper install, but i thought i read that an ajustable panhard bar (or sumthing like that) would solve the problem of the alignment issue. also can a novice install with basic mechanics tools??? what special things will i need. THANX GUYS AND GIRLS

Going cruising for 15 mins

Paul
Old 06-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering springs Help please

okay well i could be slightly off but if you lower your stang more than just a little bit you wheels will be tilted slightly outward i beleive. so anyway the camber plates are like 40$ and just make you wheels aligned straight again. ya'know perpedicular or 90 degrees to the road so they dont wear down your tires unevenly. know i know with some kits (the eibach i beleive) come with everything. you might want to PM blackfoot i think he did the job himself. i know its an easy install and 800$ is outrageous. thats 550$ in labour. lol idiots. anyway if you do it yourself i know you will need a spring compressor and i dont know how much that costs. also i heard over a long period of time it does wear down your stock shocks. but PM blackfoot.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:15 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Awesome info! thankyou so much for taking the time to read my post, ill pm blackfoot right away.

Paul

okay well i could be slightly off but if you lower your stang more than just a little bit you wheels will be tilted slightly outward i beleive. so anyway the camber plates are like 40$ and just make you wheels aligned straight again. ya'know perpedicular or 90 degrees to the road so they dont wear down your tires unevenly. know i know with some kits (the eibach i beleive) come with everything. you might want to PM blackfoot i think he did the job himself. i know its an easy install and 800$ is outrageous. thats 550$ in labour. lol idiots. anyway if you do it yourself i know you will need a spring compressor and i dont know how much that costs. also i heard over a long period of time it does wear down your stock shocks. but PM blackfoot.
[/quote]
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

You should also ask beaustang he has the same Eibach Springs on his Stang.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Torkfastback
1st Gear Member

Lots of great info on this subject. Here is a little info I posted several months ago....

Spent about 5 hours reading every mustang post on web that talked about lowering the stang. Got some great info. First, most folks are going with either the Steeda or Eibach springs. Some swear by each...all have their own story to tell. Eibach seems to be the majority rule. They come in Pro or Sport. The pro lowers the back about 1.2 to 1.4. The front about 1.0 to 1.2 The sport lowers both front and rear about .5 more than the pro. About 50% of those that lowered their car with either spring/either distance, needed to adjust the front camber. Little to no camber adjustment capability on the stock system...so, you need a camber kit. Steeda sales a camber plate for around 180. Sure makes the price go up, but right camber for 180 is better than new front tires every 6 months. HOWEVER, I called Eibach and they told me about a new product just out for the 05/06 stang. A company called SPC makes a camber bolt for $30 that can be installed in 5 minutes by taking off the wheel. It will adjust up to 1.75 camber...way more than the lowering kits are thowing things off. http://www.specprod.com/ I called the company and they told me about their web site...very cool. Go to the top of their page and select apps/products, then applications on the next page, then enter in Ford, Mustang, 2005. The EZ CAM XR part number 81260 will pop up. They even have a great "how to" section that shows exactly how to use the bolts. If you have already installed your front springs, these bolts do not require pulling them out like the plates do. Anyway, very cool, very cheap. No notching (as described by the Ford Service manual).

Enjoy...lowering realy makes the car look great!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:25 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I have the Eibach Pro Kit, I bought it from the dealer so I paid about $50 too much. They did the install and alignment for about $500 but that included a strut bearing assy. because the other springs (Springtech) I had on messed up my left front strut. It's a long story but the short version is I decided I'd rather pay the extra and have the dealer redo my springs and keep the warranty than go with a cheaper shopto do the job. You shouldn't need anything but the spring kit, I didn't need a new panhard bar or camber plates, just an alignment.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:28 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

You should get the Photoshop CS lowering kit like mine
Old 06-14-2006, 11:31 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

AND I THOUGHT MY POST WAS LONG! THANX ALOT MAN! thats one awesome post, great to know theres people that dont mind taking the time to help people like me . I really want to go with a body kit, perhaps 3dcarbon so i wouldnt want to use the sport system... the pro system sounds great... and i can use these camber bolts WITH the sport springsinstead of the expensive camber plate??

Thanx again

Paul
Old 06-14-2006, 11:32 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Eibach prokits are the way to go (at least most pony owners use those) As I have researched it a bit..... You will not need the plates unless you go lower ..like a sportline.

The springs are about 250 or so.... and you will need an alignment (a few days after the switch.....springs will settle some).......

I am planning to do it myself in a week or two.... i heard ...rears are easy to change..... fronts a little more complex and requires a spring compressor.....(might rent).

BTW $800 is ridiculous.... And if you research (Sears .....Auto.... in the better business beureau.....) you may not want to take your pony there.... (IMO)

here are some horror stories

Hope it helps
Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

So if i bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...spagenameZWDVW could i use the camber bolts and just have an alignment? or could i get lucky and it be aligned when i install?
what would u suggest, and i dont wanna break the bank, im looking for a nice cheap lowering mod hehe

Paul
Edit, how much is n alignment?? and that cures any miss-alignments after i install JUSt the springs correct?

ORIGINAL: beaustang

I have the Eibach Pro Kit, I bought it from the dealer so I paid about $50 too much. They did the install and alignment for about $500 but that included a strut bearing assy. because the other springs (Springtech) I had on messed up my left front strut. It's a long story but the short version is I decided I'd rather pay the extra and have the dealer redo my springs and keep the warranty than go with a cheaper shopto do the job. You shouldn't need anything but the spring kit, I didn't need a new panhard bar or camber plates, just an alignment.

Quick Reply: New question about lowering (last post)