Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 05:31 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cams

i really want to go all motor on my car, but it just seems like nobody wants to try out the supersix cams. somebody needs to tell them to dyno them. If they made a decent amount of power i would definately get them. I think with all the bolt ons, cams, and maybe some head work we could be making some high 200's.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:33 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

OK, I'm dense... what is a cam gong to do for us? Lift the valves higher? Longer? What effect does that have? How about a little cam theory here...

Cams control the timing if your valves. If your valves are opern for longer, more air can flow. It's the same basic idea as forced induction just not as drastic.
More air = more power. SOMEONE TRY THE SUPERSIX ONES PLEASE!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:55 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Everyone seems to be going FI, if i had the money i would probably go all motor too. Probably next summer i will start building up a separate engine. I really want to stroke it to 4.4L too. Maybe it wouldnt make quite as much power as FI but it would certainly be a unique set up. Plus you wouldnt have to worry about the extra maintenance either. Add all that to a high stall converter and im sure you'd give a FI 4.0 a run for its money!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Jiraiya
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

OK, I'm dense... what is a cam gong to do for us? Lift the valves higher? Longer? What effect does that have? How about a little cam theory here...
Note: I know very, very little about...well, anything.

That said, from what I understand, it seems that cams regulate valve timing. Thus, different cams could make the same engine behave differently, from being more aggressive to making it detuned and sluggish.

Here's an article on the mighty wikipedia, all hail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camshaft

Any tech-or mechanically inclined people who would like to correct me, please do so. I'm always ready to learn.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:37 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

the problem with changing cams is it's going to be very expensive just for the labor!!! I don't believe SSM has documented what kind of gains can be seen with a cam change...
Old 06-15-2006, 09:21 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Changing cams on OHC engine is not that hard. I changed the one on my Civic in 1 hour plus 20 min to set valve clearence. Ours take a bit longer but should be streight forward plus I don't think we need valve adjustment with hydraulic valves.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:24 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thatstang

Changing cams on OHC engine is not that hard. I changed the one on my Civic in 1 hour plus 20 min to set valve clearence. Ours take a bit longer but should be streight forward plus I don't think we need valve adjustment with hydraulic valves.
unfortunately it is not that straight forward... trust me... i know... LOL!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:29 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

uhhhh, I see. I dont have a shop guide but assumed its like others. Thanks. I'll try to search online for cam swap on 4.0L engine.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:45 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thatstang

uhhhh, I see. I dont have a shop guide but assumed its like others. Thanks. I'll try to search online for cam swap on 4.0L engine.
well.. basically you'll want to pull the motor... the timing chain on the passenger side is on the BACK side of the motor... The gears are not keyed... they are basically held on the cams with just the bolt... it also requires special Ford tools...
Old 06-15-2006, 11:49 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Id probably have the guy who installed my gears put them in. His shop is pretty much ford. Labor is cheap too, he charged 200 bucks to put in my gears. Although i wont be doing much else until im on my own insurance. And if you want to build a v6 to run 11's or maybe high 10's, you cant do it just by cranking up the boost or forcing in more nitrous, you need a good foundation as well. Just imagine what a 4.0 with a more aggressive cam and ported heads along with some FI could do. I know its easier and cheaper to slap on a SC or TC, but what do you do after that? I think ill build my car from the ground up (almost literally).

Quick Reply: Cams