Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

one litre difference... 4.0 vs 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 02:48 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Default one litre difference... 4.0 vs 5.0

Street racing is bad... don’t street race. Take it to the track. I am a hypocrite. I’m not proud, but such is life.

Last night, I was driving home with my wife and sister in-law from Kennedy School... a very snazzy establishment that was once an elementary school. Now, the complex is a hotel, restaurant, a couple bars and theatre pub. My late, dear ol’ pappy even went to school there back in his youth. One of my favorite dives.

Well, it was late and traffic was sparse on this particular route home. What do you know? I pull up next to a 5.0 with a passenger and he revs up. My sister in-law in the back seat starts giggling, asking, “What is he doing?”

I reply, “He wants to play.”

OD goes off and I wait for the green. I start off just tapping the gas, just to see if he really wants to go.. and, I didn’t want to waste rubber with a hard dig on this guy. He bogged his launch, so I waited and eased off. When I heard him finally rev up he was at my rear quarter, I gunned it. Left ‘em immediately and let off at the speed limit by a light tap of the brake. I had him by enough car lengths to switch into his lane quite safely.

He pulled up along side and he wants another go. I slow way down to around 15-20 mph and he follows. His passenger is counting down, throwing his fingers in the air. On three, I leave him again.

We stop at a light next to one another and roll down windows. His passenger is pointing at the driver, saying, “...he doesn’t know how to drive!” I smile.

He asks if I have a six. I say, yup. He asks how much horsepower do I have? Around 220? I just say, something like that... a little less... I’m not quite stock. We take off again at the light... again, I don’t launch hard and only get on it when he finally engages... this guy really wasn’t a good driver and there he was in my rear-view before I shut down at the speed limit.

Again, I’d like to say.... we were the only ones on a lightly travelled road. It was a 40 zone, though, everyone during the day cruises at 50-55. Seriously, I don’t like street racing. Sometimes the conditions just seem right in an area that I know very well. When I do, I keep it pretty close to the speed limit. Bygones.

We went one last time from a roll, around 25. This time, I let him go first, just to see what the little 4.0 could do. I waited until I was at his rear bumper. We were even for just a bit, then I started to reel him in. I took it up a bit higher this time... At about 60, his nose was even with the front of my door and I let off.

He kept wanting to go, but I was done. I made my turn towards him and gave ‘im a thumbs up.

My wife and sister in-law were just laughing, going... that was fun! Score one for the 4.0L!

This Friday is my birthday and I’m going to try and make it out to the PIR. If not then, the following weekend for sure. I just have to say, Doug’s new 92 octane Race tune is damn sweet!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:59 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: one litre difference... 4.0 vs 5.0

Nice... even if your victim wasn't the best driver, you still got to beat a GT 4 times in one night! Have you ever taken one before that?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:06 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CMCs05pony

Nice... even if your victim wasn't the best driver, you still got to beat a GT 4 times in one night! Have you ever taken one before that?
This was my second 5.0. The first was at the track. It was a paint-flecked POS in appearance only. He did 13.5 and left me easily. I've raced the first generation 4.6 GT ... two of them. One on the street up to 40. Left 'im standing still. And, my first track run was against a 95-98 GT... his 16+ seconds to my 14.9. I've raced one previous generation GT at the track. He had a 14.8 to my 14.9.... though, I've since done better and I know the GT was capable of more... I hope to get into the 14.6 range next time out.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:07 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Well you could have destroyed him even if he WAS a good driver. Didn't you hear? Our cars are "underrated" due to insurance companies. We can beat anything in our 4.0's. I also think insurance companies were in on the Kennedy assassination and that has a lot to do with the underratedness. But shhhh, don't tell anyone[sm=smiley24.gif]

Seriously though Hamlid, congrats. Seems like you had a good time!
Old 06-18-2006, 03:09 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: teacherman

Well you could have destroyed him even if he WAS a good driver. Didn't you hear? Our cars are "underrated" due to insurance companies. We can beat anything in our 4.0's. I also think insurance companies were in on the Kennedy assassination and that has a lot to do with the underratedness. But shhhh, don't tell anyone[sm=smiley24.gif]

Oh, did I say 5.0? I meant Prius... and I got spanked badly by that bad boy! [sm=alcoholic.gif]
Old 06-18-2006, 03:15 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I agree... it does sound like you had a blast!! Nice work.

I've only had my car for 6 weeks now. It's an 05 that I bought with 3k miles on it. Added the racing stripes right away just beacuse I thought it would add a lot of character to the white paint. And now I have a Flo-Pro twister that I haven't had the time to put on yet. Other than that, still totally stock and unfortunately, it will have to stay that way for a few months. But I've been reading this forum a lot since I joined and I've been pouring through the ads in magazines like Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords to find ideas. I'm a mechanical engineer so I take to this stuff quickly, but I've never had a car worthy of modifying before, so I never spent much time really learning all the details about bolt ons and F.I. and the like... Now that I've been doing all this reading, I think I'm in big trouble.

Or at least my wallet's in big trouble... I'll be smiling all the way to the track.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:19 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

Oh, did I say 5.0? I meant Prius... and I got spanked badly by that bad boy! [sm=alcoholic.gif]
lol... gotta respect the Prius!! they're fast enough to beat "Japanese Sport Bikes"
Old 06-18-2006, 03:21 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

yep i agree, if u look closely at the videos u can see the Geico on the grassy knoll with a winchester lever-action

Old 06-18-2006, 04:23 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: paulboy16

yep i agree, if u look closely at the videos u can see the Geico on the grassy knoll with a winchester lever-action

I am embarassed to admit that I got smoked by a 1989 Yugo, but I did smoke an Enzo and I even flicked the guy off.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:13 PM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

You know the 5.0 HO Came stock with only like 210 HP.
I thought that was a cool fact.

Quick Reply: one litre difference... 4.0 vs 5.0