Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car Care

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Backlash
2nd Gear Member

Default Car Care

Ok guys (and gals) i need some tips on how to wash a car. Dont get me wrong, i know how to do it, but i am sure i can improve my methods or what products i use.
1. I would like info on the best soap, best wheel cleaner, best type of towels etc.
Everything is appreciated. I'm going out tomorrow to buy this stuff so your help is needed.
My car is black also
so its hard to keep clean.
2. For the interior: I have a leather tan interior. Best leather product for that? And the dash: best product?
3. Btw how long do you wait till you wax a new car? and can i use those attachments that you put on battery powered drills? is there a certain technique when using this method so you dont. mess up the paint?
4. Friend said something about "orange peel". what is that?

Thank you so much for answering my questions!!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:32 PM
enog
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Car Care

First off, welcome to the forums. I am new here too and I'm learning alot from all of the members. Ok, go here and check it out, very knowledgaeable peeps there.

Click Me
Old 06-18-2006, 07:51 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Get a good bottle of suds, I use Meguairs, and a microfiber sponge. Rinse the car down with just the hose, no attachment, to loosen up some dirt. Wash the car from the top down with your sponge, starting with the hood or the roof. You don't want to wash the dirty quarter panels and bring all that abrasive dirt back up to the top.

Next, clean your rims and tires (if you're using tire foam). Again, I use Meguairs Hot Rims - All Wheel Cleaner for my rims. Spray it on, leave it for 15 seconds, and shoot it off. If you're using tire foam, you'll want to put it on before you even begin using the suds. Foam has to sit on the tires for about 15 minutes to get a good gloss. So when you're done doing everything before, it should be about the right time to spray the foam off.

Rinse the car down with just the hose, no attachment. Just let the hard water roll off the car. Get a nice drying blade to quickly dry all the flat surfaces.

Clay bar, again, I use meguairs. The clay bar acts as a magnet to pull contaminents out of your paint. Spray some lubricant on, I use some Meguairs polish.. and slide the clay bar over the area until it feels smooth.

Use whatever moisture that's still on the car to dampen a microfiber towel and polish the car with Klasse All In One Polish. Afterwards, the car should be dry.

Next I use Klasse Glaze. The more layers of glaze, the better shine.

Grab some glass cleaner, I use Eagle One, and squigee your windows clean. It's usually about 8PM when I'm here, so time to call it a day, and finish tomorrow.

Next day, get whatever dust that has settled off the car. Add another layer of glaze if you'd like. If not, go straight to waxing. I use Meguairs NXT Tech Wax. Exterior is done. Car looks and feels wet.

Now I take my ArmorAll, and go at tires. This would be the alternative to foam. Then afterward, I go into the car and use my ArmorAll spray on everything that has a hard surface.

Mmm clean car.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:54 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

1 bucket of water (no soap) 1 sponge and 1 shammy leather, clean and shammy 1 part at a time starting with roof and work down, this is the only way i clean and it always comes out looking like its just been waxed, my buddy used to work the the ferrari and rare import cars in england and this is how they cleaned them.

Paul
Old 06-18-2006, 07:58 PM
enog
1st Gear Member

The only bad thing about Armour All is the greasy look/feel it leaves on the surfaces, it attracts dust very easily afterwards. I use Eagle One Nano Protectant. It leaves a very nice matte finish, doesn't attract dust and no greasy feel at all.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:33 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

For leather, I would definitely recomment Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner. Hands down the best leather product on the market, period. If you want your leather to smell new, and look good this is an excellent product. You can go to any self respecting shoe repair store and buy it for much less than you could anywhere else.

Also, zaino makes teo very good leather products, one is the cleaner and one is the conditioner. I got some for free from my brother and used it this past weekend... it is a nice product. When it runs out, I will switch to the Lexol more than likely.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:32 AM
Backlash
2nd Gear Member

meguiers is good also right? i am thinking about going with the gold class cleaner.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

Dang spartan, I bet your house is really clean ;p
Old 06-19-2006, 02:39 AM
Backlash
2nd Gear Member

bump
Old 06-19-2006, 02:50 AM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

I used to swear by Meguire's wax. I recently converted to Zaino. I don't work for them or anything, but was really happy with the results. It took FOREVER to do, but is easy to maintain if you follow the directions. THey tell you what kind of materials to use, and what order to do everything. My paint is super smooth, and reflective. I think my best advice to you though is, don't take your car through any of those automatic washes with the nylon spinning brushes. THose beat the hell out of your paint. Cloth brushes are supposed to be okay, but I doubt I will be taking my car to one of those places anytime soon either.

Quick Reply: Car Care