Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Miata

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:10 AM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Miata

Lol, nice one.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:56 AM
Shadowhax
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blazen351

well even if he was quick you can take solice in the fact that you drive a real car without the stigma of only being bought by gay men or are going through a midlife crisis...and gay.
i take mazda roadside assistance calls, most of them mx5ers with there miatas sound a little light on there heels :P
Old 06-21-2006, 04:28 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jeremy

http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh11..._off_valve.htm

Unless I'm crazy.

a turbo doesn't always have a bov. The bov is there to stop compressor surge when the throttle is closed. Once the throttle is closed the compressed air is trapped and it will go right back into the turbo sometimes. This can slow the blades or even jam them (this is very bad for your turbo when it happens). It is better to have one, but there are many turbo cars that don't have blow off valves. It is just very common to have one because it is stupid to not have one. Beleive me, i had a turbo car before this.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:10 PM
TheBlue6

Please don't bash me. I noticed a lot more street racing posts here than the other forums I checked out. Is it cool to post street races here? Over at the othr ones, the admins will delete them.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:44 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheBlue6

Please don't bash me. I noticed a lot more street racing posts here than the other forums I checked out. Is it cool to post street races here? Over at the othr ones, the admins will delete them.
This is one of the few that allow the street racing threads. I wouldn't let it get to you, MF is a pretty cool place and is always buzzing with activity. If you don't care for street racing then I would just ignore the threads. Several of us advised against street racing but without any success. But you are in good hands here when it comes to modding. There are a few other resources out there, just PM me if you are interested.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

8cd03gro Date 6/20/2006 10:56:58 PM
a turbo doesnt have to have a bov either dude...
a turbo doesn't always have a bov.

Ok, I just thought you were trying to tell me they didn't have one in general.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:59 PM
defiant00
1st Gear Member

It could've been a Monster Miata.....with a 5.0.....I saw one a few months ago at a gas station and got to talk to the guy for a minute, he opened the hood and it was amazing! He even had the cobra badge on the side.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:04 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

About the miata, there was a company that used to make monster miatas, they had 5.0L mustang drivetrains in em and were available with the stock 225 HP all the way up to 560HP.
Now about the turbo, not all turbo cars have blow off valves, some have wastegates. They, in essence, work on the same principal except one relieves pressure on the exhaust side (BOV) and the other on the intake side (wastegate). Thats the difference.
-P.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

^ That makes it much more clearer.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:32 PM
lilc1511
2nd Gear Member

HAHAHA it is hilarious when like 6 people try to answer something and they all give a little more incorrect info...

I do NOT know of any turbo vehicles that do NOT use BOTH a wastegate AND a blow off (loud, vented to atmosphere)/bypass (quiet, vented back into system) valve... other than some diesels which do not use a wastegate...

The wastegate controls boost pressure by bypassing the exhaust directly to the downpipe (exhaust pipe off of the turbo) instead of into the exhaust housing of the turbo...

The blow off/bypass valve (either can be used... it is preference) prevents surge like was said above... that much of his statement was true...

the wastegate is on the EXHAUST side

the blowoff/bypass valve is on the INTAKE side..

Guys... if you DONT know... try not to misinform... nice of you to try though..

chris

Quick Reply: Miata