Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Burned a hole in my under-the-hood-cover-thing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:01 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Burned a hole in my under-the-hood-cover-thing?

OK, went to my dealer's service manager today and he is ordering me a new liner. They are going to figure out a way to mount it to where it wont rub another hole in it. This is a situation where it is at the discretion of the service manager whether to call it warranty or not because it is a cosmetic part and not a defect.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:23 AM
McChicken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beaustang

OK, went to my dealer's service manager today and he is ordering me a new liner. They are going to figure out a way to mount it to where it wont rub another hole in it. This is a situation where it is at the discretion of the service manager whether to call it warranty or not because it is a cosmetic part and not a defect.
Cool man I guess you have a good service department then. It'll probably be a 50/50 chance mine would want to replace it under warranty.....they've been pretty cool so far but who knows. I'll check it out next time I'm over there.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:31 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, it helps if you have a good working relationship with the service manager; don't be an *** to them and treat them with a little respect and they will do the same for you. I remember this subject coming up in a pervious thread where someone thouhgt they should be treated the same whether the service dept. liked them or not. While this may be true, it isn't the real world; if you are an *** to them they will do everything by the book and give you no consideration at all.
ORIGINAL: McChicken

ORIGINAL: beaustang

Cool man I guess you have a good service department then. It'll probably be a 50/50 chance mine would want to replace it under warranty.....they've been pretty cool so far but who knows. I'll check it out next time I'm over there.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:40 AM
McChicken
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I recently switched dealerships because my original one was run by idiots, so I have only been to this place maybe 2 or 3 times so far. They new one is much better though, the one service manager was telling be about his old fox body mustang that he used to take to the track and everything. So maybe after a few more visits I'll just be like "Oh yeah I noticed this thing on my hood lining..."
Old 06-22-2006, 12:59 AM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

I thought it was there to help reflect heat??

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Its mainly there for sound deadening, I just tore mine off as it helps reduce underhood temps. Lower underhood temps = cooler intake charge = more power. I believe its called a hood lining.
-P.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Same thing happened with mine! I wonder if the plenum cover will prevent a new "burn hole" from happening when I get a new hood liner?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:44 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Yes, it will prevent it because it's not a burn it's a wear spot that will be covered by the plenum cover. I hope to get my cover about the same time as the liner.
ORIGINAL: Wicked Pony

Same thing happened with mine! I wonder if the plenum cover will prevent a new "burn hole" from happening when I get a new hood liner?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:08 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

If you install a strut tower brace (like the one from Blue Oval) it keeps the hood liner from resting on the intake manifold a rubbing holes. I learned this after I'd already rubbed holes. To fix it, I got a couple of 1" round rubber pads like you use to keep cupboard doors from slamming, and stuck those over the holes. Looks pretty OEM if I do say so myself.