Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cai and tune help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Shipwreck
1st Gear Member

Default cai and tune help

I know this was covered before in the forums,but i am new to this, and just want to make sure I get this right. I want to get a CAI for my 05 V6, and just want to know what are the best brands. Also, when I do get one do I need a tune for it, or will it be allright on it's own. I have talked to many people about this, and have gotten a variety of answers. Granted most of these are people who work on older vehicles. I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but i am still a newbie to all this, and would hate to mess up my Car. Any help or advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:59 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: cai and tune help

ORIGINAL: Shipwreck

I know this was covered before in the forums,but i am new to this, and just want to make sure I get this right. I want to get a CAI for my 05 V6, and just want to know what are the best brands. Also, when I do get one do I need a tune for it, or will it be allright on it's own. I have talked to many people about this, and have gotten a variety of answers. Granted most of these are people who work on older vehicles. I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but i am still a newbie to all this, and would hate to mess up my Car. Any help or advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Some of the best CAI's that require a tune are the C&L and Demolet and I think JLT??. All are available by numerous vendors. Bamachips has a comprehenisive site and also has tuner/cai combos. If you don't want to tune the car, the MMR, AFE and K&N intakes will do but will not perform as well as those listed above. IMO, just save up and go for the combo because it is the best for the car performance wise.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:04 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Ship, first of all welcome to the forum! There are about 3 or 4 popular dealers to get the CAI & tuner combo from that have gotten great reviews in this forum:

This is where I got mine and I have to say they are great!!! & it came with 3 tunes (89, 91 & 93 octane):
https://mustangforums.com/m_1481387/tm.htm

There is also: Brenspeed: http://www.brenspeed.com/
There is also: Bamachips: http://www.bamachips.com/
and I cannot remember the other, but I am sure one of the other guys around the forum can chime in!

I can say that evolution was the cheapest combo that I found!
Old 06-21-2006, 05:04 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The MMR requires a retune despite what they say, just ask Scrming. The AFE and K&N are the only ones that don't require a retune. I used to have the AFE and was happy with it.

I would reccomend the following CAI/tuner combinations, not in any particular order:

-Doug/Bamachips: XCAL2 and your choice of TI or C&L CAI. (when I switched to his tune for my old TI, it shaved off 3/10ths on my time)
-Evolution: XCAL2 and C&L (lot of guys use them, they have a good rep)
-AZDynoChip: XCAL2 and ? (don't know if they do the internet thing, they will tune any CAI and produce some of the highest dyno numbers)
-Lidio/Alternative Auto: XCAL2 and CAI (I did some research and several shops reffered me to him for Automatics, he is considered the man when it comes to tuning the auto)
-Brenspeed: XCAL2 and C&L (another highly reputable shop)
-Justin/JMP Tuning: XCAL2 and ? (considered one of the top dogs for the V6 stang community and colaborates with Doug on occasion to my knowledge)

Stick with any of the above and you will be fine.