Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

After months on the fence. I finally got my C&L

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 12:01 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Default After months on the fence. I finally got my C&L

I ordered my C&L w/XCAL2 and I have really learned that I am not mechanically inclined at all!! Last night I did the swap. Did the tune first after reading about Spartan Vi and Toosober's issues. Tune went smooth. Then it took me forever (30-45 minutes) to get the CAI swapped. My issue was getting the filter and shroud lined up. Anyway I get the filter on (BTW what is that greasy $hit all over the filter) and I go for a test drive. Everything runs great 3rd and 4th gear have more power, I pull back in the garage happy and leave it for the night.

Get up this morning. Make it two miles down te road to the first stop light, push in the clutch, come to a stop, car goes dead. Restart, another stop light one mile down, same thing. Turn around and head back to the house thinking the worst, I have a crappy tune or something of the sort. Limp the demon into the garage, pop the hood and notice the air filter had completely come off. Remember that greasy $hit I mentioned. I think it is the culprit that butt raped me. Any I put the filter back on, move the clamp towards the MAF and retighten (very snug). Loosen the clamps securing it to the TB and reposition just enough so the filter does not touch the body. Now the interesting part. Start it back up and I notice the CEL. Hook up the XCAL2 and it pulls off two codes (both banks were running rich) Figure I just solved that be reattaching the air filter so I try to clear the codes. The unit says it cannot clear the codes. Run in the house grabe my $70 Scantron reader from autozone and it clears them with no problem. So now I have an XCAL2 issue I have to take up with the dealer. I know it's not his fault so I'm not going to name drop.

To continue, I drove to work, (32 miles) a mix of interstate and city. No stalls or CEL. I guess its was just the filter not on good. Check everything when I got to work and everything was still snug.

If anyone has pics of their C&L would you post. I'd like to compare the positioning of mine just to be sure.

I'm also considering putting some foam tape on the lining of the hole in the shroud to help support the filter and keep it off the body. Any thoughts on that idea.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:20 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: After months on the fence. I finally got my C&L

That oily stuff is oil. All of those permanent filter have oil on the paper to help absorbtion. You really have to clamp the filter on as tight as possible. Engine vibration will jar the filter loose. Mine is on super-tight and never come off. I think sober just posted a pic too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32397/0E107E513E554330BAC27251BD68D9A6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32397/51C1CA3168954078A7B9643AA3C6CD24.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-23-2006, 12:26 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Pat, really appreciate the pics.

How's the knee recovery going? Do you have a 10lb bag of rice hanging across your leg?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:40 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

No, I actually have a cryo/compress machine. Basically its a cooler with ice water that pumps the cold water to a compress wrapped around my knee. Feels great (the cold at least). I go back on Monday and I sure hope the doc tells me I can at least drive. I'm tired of watching World Cup Soccer. No wonder we suck, its boring.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:52 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

Here you go.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:55 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Sorry to hear you had problems, at least it sounds as if it was an easy fix. I would imagine that just reflashing your tune again may have cleared your codes, but don't know that for sure. Anyways. I'll post a pic of my CAI too. It's the Demolet/TI one, but still should work for comparison purposes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34733/1B0651FFDD454BA2ACE35BE5ABCBCFCD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-23-2006, 02:55 PM
yur1279
2nd Gear Member

Here is mine.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:17 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Holy Cryogenics Batman!! Sounds like you got some cool equipment there.

I'm not a soccer fan at all so I feel your pain. I'm die hard NFL and that's it. Hope you get the all clear on Monday.
ORIGINAL: pat6674u

No, I actually have a cryo/compress machine. Basically its a cooler with ice water that pumps the cold water to a compress wrapped around my knee. Feels great (the cold at least). I go back on Monday and I sure hope the doc tells me I can at least drive. I'm tired of watching World Cup Soccer. No wonder we suck, its boring.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:20 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Thanks man. Have you heard anything about your XCAL2 yet? Did it arrive at the "unknown address?"
ORIGINAL: toosober

Here you go.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:27 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Thank you very much. I love your Plenum cover. VERY NICE!!!
ORIGINAL: yur1279

Here is mine.

Quick Reply: After months on the fence. I finally got my C&L