Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

oil change nightmare

Old 06-24-2006, 07:13 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

Default oil change nightmare

lol... just for the sake of comic relief, I'll post part of my day's events. I did an oil change and when I FINALLY got the old filter off, I put the new one on, but without realizing it, I doubled up the gasket. Started the car and watched the oil spray everywhere. I was so pissed at myself for making that mistake. I've done plenty of oil changes, but this was a first for me. lol

I think I'll go wash her... maybe that will help me unwind a little. and btw, I took new pics... ones that I actually like. will post them later.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:21 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: oil change nightmare

ORIGINAL: CMCs05pony

lol... just for the sake of comic relief, I'll post part of my day's events. I did an oil change and when I FINALLY got the old filter off, I put the new one on, but without realizing it, I doubled up the gasket. Started the car and watched the oil spray everywhere. I was so pissed at myself for making that mistake. I've done plenty of oil changes, but this was a first for me. lol

I think I'll go wash her... maybe that will help me unwind a little. and btw, I took new pics... ones that I actually like. will post them later.
I wanted pics of the oil all over the place! LOL
Old 06-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

The first time I changed my oil I could'nt even get the filter off it was so tight!! I had to take it somewhere to an oil change place it took 2 guys to get it off and they broke it off!! This has happened to 3 cars I bought new they must not luble the gasklet at the factory!
Make sure you just hand tighten it a quarter turn after you feel it tightening!
Oh and lube the gasket a bit too!!
Tom
Old 06-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I fumbled an oil filter for the first time last week. It just slipped out of my fingers as I was removing it. It didn't help that the oil was scalding hot ... my poor fingers. Fortunately, it was my wife's car, not mine .

Ken
Old 06-26-2006, 07:55 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

Yep, I know how you feel about getting the factory filter off.. [:@]

And Ken... that pic almost made me choke on my Coke! lol
Old 06-26-2006, 07:56 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

i wanted pics of the oil spill too[>:]
Old 06-26-2006, 08:00 PM
KnotBand
I ♥ Acer

I once put an oil filter on without lubing up the gasket....when I went to change the oil again, I couldn't get it off......I ended up with half of a filter (I tore it in half trying to stick a screw driver through it to get some torque) and having to have it towed up to Firestone to get them to change it for me. They had to use an air hammer to get it off. That is a mistake you only make once.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:22 PM
MustangOK

Of course we have so much room to get it off!! If you have hands the size of a two year old. It took me 20 minutes of fighting with it and my elbow has never recovered from the force used. I just don't trust the shops unless I stand and watch them every second.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:25 PM
blackNchrome05
1st Gear Member

you want to talk about a nightmare... brought my car down to jiffy lube and paid them to change the oil... last time i ever do that again. i give them the keys, open the door to walk inside and hear a SCCCCRRRRRRREEEEEEE. uh oh... i walk outside and my car is halfway onto the track... mechanics sitting there with their eyes wide open and their jaws on the floor... looking from the car to me... the car to me. the place doesn't even raise the car, there is a pit underneath... so go figure how they managed to scrape. Maybe they should put the "Lowered cars $10 extra" sign on the OUTSIDE of the shop BEFORE they take your car as opposed to the inside when its too late... last time i ever go to jiffy lube. :'(
Old 06-26-2006, 09:27 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackNchrome05

you want to talk about a nightmare... brought my car down to jiffy lube and paid them to change the oil... last time i ever do that again. i give them the keys, open the door to walk inside and hear a SCCCCRRRRRRREEEEEEE. uh oh... i walk outside and my car is halfway onto the track... mechanics sitting there with their eyes wide open and their jaws on the floor... looking from the car to me... the car to me. the place doesn't even raise the car, there is a pit underneath... so go figure how they managed to scrape. Maybe they should put the "Lowered cars $10 extra" sign on the OUTSIDE of the shop BEFORE they take your car as opposed to the inside when its too late... last time i ever go to jiffy lube. :'(
wow, any damage?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil change nightmare