Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI and sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:58 PM
v6stanggoddess
1st Gear Member

Default CAI and sound quality

I read a post recently and someone got flamed over a CAI and tuner [&o] so I do not really want to ask the wrong question. I was just wondering if a CAI adds more sound after getting duals. I am not sure the kind of duals I am going to get at this point. It looks like most of you have magnafllows, JBA, Flowmasters, or Gt take-offs. All sound good to me. I was just wondering if adding the CAI adds more of that nice muscle sound!

Whoever answers kindly will have my heart! Thank you!

Alyssa
Old 06-26-2006, 09:00 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: CAI and sound quality

Some intakes add a bit of sucking in air type sound. Some intakes also seem to deepen the exhaust note a little bit.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:04 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

^^^ lol... yeah, what he said... oops

the CAI gives you a higher volume of air coming in and it has to go somewhere, so it does change the sound of the exhaust somewhat. you also get that wooshing/suction sound at high rpm, but that's the intake itself, not the exhaust.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Shadowhax
2nd Gear Member

watch this video http://www.cnlperformance.com/video/V6Dyno_Small.avi its a dyno of a v6 automatic b4 and after the C&L intake with a tune, you can notice a difference in engine "agressiveness" when it starts to suck in air.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:18 PM
v6stanggoddess
1st Gear Member

Thank you all so much. Another question though. Will I need to replace my entire air filter? Does the cai REPLACE the filter? I am a bit worried because I take my car to the local dealership to get an oil changed. On the check off box it reads change oil and filter, replace air filter.

SO what happens when they see the cold air intake? Also, how long do you go before changing the filter on the CAI?

I think thats it for now! Oh. So getting a cold air intake increases the flow of air. SO that means it is really good for the car and is actually better to have it than not to?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:22 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

the CAI replaces the air filter and all the rest of the plumbing that brings air to your motor.

however the new air filter will last a loong, loong time... some claim up to 100,000 miles. you just have to wash it.

and yes... it's a great thing to have on your car, but some of them require the car's computer to be reprogrammed to adjust the amount of fuel the engine mixes with the extra air from your CAI. so if you buy a C&L CAI, for example, you have to buy a tuner also or your engine will run like crap
Old 06-26-2006, 09:26 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6stanggoddess

Thank you all so much. Another question though. Will I need to replace my entire air filter? Does the cai REPLACE the filter? I am a bit worried because I take my car to the local dealership to get an oil changed. On the check off box it reads change oil and filter, replace air filter.

SO what happens when they see the cold air intake? Also, how long do you go before changing the filter on the CAI?

I think thats it for now! Oh. So getting a cold air intake increases the flow of air. SO that means it is really good for the car and is actually better to have it than not to?
when they see that you have a cold air intake, they should know better than to try to change your filter. just let them know you only want the oil changed and make sure they use the right kind of oil. if you search the 4.0 section of this forum for "oil" you'll find a bevy of information, recommendations, and horror stories. most people recommend changing it for the first time at 3-5 thousand miles & most have switched to full synthetic oil anywhere between their first oil change and 10k miles.

welcome, by the way. i haven't replied to any of your other posts.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:28 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

how many different OILS do you have to change> lol

Old 06-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Shadowhax
2nd Gear Member

The c&L intake replaces the filter and the intake tube all the way up to the throttle body, most dealerships wont have a problem with it , some do, just ask yoru service department about it.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:37 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CMCs05pony

the CAI replaces the air filter and all the rest of the plumbing that brings air to your motor.

however the new air filter will last a loong, loong time... some claim up to 100,000 miles. you just have to wash it.

and yes... it's a great thing to have on your car, but some of them require the car's computer to be reprogrammed to adjust the amount of fuel the engine mixes with the extra air from your CAI. so if you buy a C&L CAI, for example, you have to buy a tuner also or your engine will run like crap
This is the C&L intake.

Quick Reply: CAI and sound quality