Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

twin turbos,cams,intake manifolds

Old 06-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Goliath
1st Gear Member

Default RE: twin turbos,cams,intake manifolds

yeah you'd have to get the SSM shortblock, no doubt. You'd also need a new clutch, drive shaft, rear end, UCA/LCA, wheels/tires, huge amount of boost (huge amount of lag), possibly a new transmission, elec. waterpump. Nitrous would def. make it easier. I don't want to even consider the money it'd take to tune that thing. increase to the 4.3L bored engine with 8.0 compression ratio engine would probably be what it takes. You mentioned 4.5 Fazm, can they bore the 4.0 out that far yet?

That would be pretty ridiculous if you were running 20 lbs of boost... watching the boost gauge go up would be like watching a tachometer. LOL what a great idea. Anyone got a website for the twin turbo manufacturer?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:38 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

www.ststurbo.com i think
Old 06-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Goliath

yeah you'd have to get the SSM shortblock, no doubt. You'd also need a new clutch, drive shaft, rear end, UCA/LCA, wheels/tires, huge amount of boost (huge amount of lag), possibly a new transmission, elec. waterpump. Nitrous would def. make it easier. I don't want to even consider the money it'd take to tune that thing. increase to the 4.3L bored engine with 8.0 compression ratio engine would probably be what it takes. You mentioned 4.5 Fazm, can they bore the 4.0 out that far yet?

That would be pretty ridiculous if you were running 20 lbs of boost... watching the boost gauge go up would be like watching a tachometer. LOL what a great idea. Anyone got a website for the twin turbo manufacturer?
You can bore and stroke it to 4.5. It's more stroking than boring....erm. There is another company that is coming out with a 4.5 short block for like $3500. Lemme see if I can find the link...
http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=32
Crap, just looked again closely. It's only for pushrod 4.0s. I could have sworn that they had them for OHC engines also. Anyways, SSM is supposed to be coming out with a 4.5 stroker.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:15 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

when me or my son drive my ponys engine to death we are so getting a 4.5 block![8D]
thats the biggest v6 i think ive heard of. anyone know of a bigger one?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:54 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Actually, bored, stroked, cammed with new pistons would be more than enough to get 500HP out of this car.

The big failing point will be the pistons. Forged/dished pistons with a lower compression ratio will allow you to run more boost. Keep in mind, 400 RWHP has already been done on stock internals. Nitrous is an option, not a necessity.

There are other things involved, of course. Your driveshaft and rear end will need to be replaced.

ORIGINAL: TNT1968

To get that kind of streetable horsepower out of your 4.0 it wouldn't be a 4.0 anymore that's for sure! It would have to be bored,stroked, cammed, strengthened, supercharged, nitroused, electric waterpumped, a/c and power steering deleted,etc. After you did all that to the engine, you would have to strengthen the driveline! A supercharged GT with V6 body panels and badges would be much cheaper (and easier)!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:58 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Goliath

I forgot about the clutch. The second there is an good aftermarket one out, I'm ordering it!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: onefastv6

when me or my son drive my ponys engine to death we are so getting a 4.5 block![8D]
Nope. The GM 4.3 has always been a great engine. This engine has tons of potential, though.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: flapjack

ORIGINAL: onefastv6

Nope. The GM 4.3 has always been a great engine. This engine has tons of potential, though.
Ford had a straight 6 5.0....
Old 06-29-2006, 12:28 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Ford made an inline 4 in the 40s that was 11 liters
not for a car lol.

gm 4.3
jeep inline 4.0 and 4.2
ford inline 5.0
landcruiser inline 4.2
GM made a a v6 that was like 8.1 liters or somin back in the day (made bout the same HP as ours lol)
toyota makes a 4.0 v6
nissan makes a 4.0 v6

anyone chime in with larger ones?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:36 AM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

I can say that my dads truck is 4.9 straight six. Its a 1988 Ford F150 Custom 5 spd.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: twin turbos,cams,intake manifolds