Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vibration after MRT axel back install...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vibration after MRT axel back install...

OK, time for a confession....

I have a very bad habit od tightening everything up in sequence, rather than waiting until everything is connect. So last night I coudn't get the middle rubber matched up with the holes, since I already tightened up the right rubber. So I go and loosen the right rubber, match up the holes and tighten up the middle rubber, then tighten up the bottom screw on the right rubber. So during the tight while I was recapping everything I did, I didn't recall tightening the side screw on the right rubber.

Go out this AM, and BINGO, the side screw on the right rubber was so loose I could turn it with my hand. Tightened it up, vibration gone.

I also used the "bat trick" to get some extra space between the tip and the bumper. It did melt it a little bit last night, but I have at least a 1/4 inch clearance, maybe even a half inch space now, so that should be cool right? I'll have to keep my eye on it.

Is there anything they sell that I could just stick on top of the tip ot the bumper?

Wait until I need help with my C&L CAI and X2 tune. )
Old 06-28-2006, 03:27 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

OK, time for a confession....

I have a very bad habit od tightening everything up in sequence, rather than waiting until everything is connect. So last night I coudn't get the middle rubber matched up with the holes, since I already tightened up the right rubber. So I go and loosen the right rubber, match up the holes and tighten up the middle rubber, then tighten up the bottom screw on the right rubber. So during the tight while I was recapping everything I did, I didn't recall tightening the side screw on the right rubber.

Go out this AM, and BINGO, the side screw on the right rubber was so loose I could turn it with my hand. Tightened it up, vibration gone.

I also used the "bat trick" to get some extra space between the tip and the bumper. It did melt it a little bit last night, but I have at least a 1/4 inch clearance, maybe even a half inch space now, so that should be cool right? I'll have to keep my eye on it.

Is there anything they sell that I could just stick on top of the tip ot the bumper?

Wait until I need help with my C&L CAI and X2 tune. )
I had a problem develop after I installed my MRT. The pipe would bounce off the rear axle when I hit a bump. To fix this I went to AutoZone and bought a 2 3/4 inch exhaust pipe clamp and an exhaust hanger, pushed the pipe up for measurement and installed where the MRT deletes one of the 3 mount points for the OEM exhaust, it was a 5 minute job. As far as space between the MRT and the rear bumper, I took a baseball bat to the pipe to make the adjustment. I now have a good half inch from the bumper now.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

So did you just put the hanger on there to be a buffer or did you actually connect it to something? Gota pic? Thank you for the info!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:56 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

So did you just put the hanger on there to be a buffer or did you actually connect it to something? Gota pic? Thank you for the info!
I removed rubber mount that was no longer used from the original muffler. I then installed the $5 parts I bought from autozone on the mount post.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:02 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

The 2 3/4 inch exhaust pipe clamp connects to the pipe and exhaust hanger. The exhaust hanger then connects to the post where the old ford rubber hanger should no longer be when you installed the MRT.