Steeda Shifter Kit Installed - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #11  
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Shifter Kit Installed

good luck at the track. running 14.5s will be quite a task. but doable with good cool air and alot of runs to get used to it.
by the way what track are you going to?
onefastv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #12  
fazm
5th Gear Member

i have about 5 14.5 passes under my belt.

I go to firebird (www.firebirdraceway.com i believe) Lately its been 100+ even at 7pm when the track is open, so i havent gone in a while. My best street tire run is 14.53 when it was bout 70 out. my best Drag Radial run is 14.54 when it was about 94 out.

fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #13  
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I wasn't trying it influence anyone to buy either shifter; you stated in your post "don't buy a Hurst". Practice what you preach and let people form their own opinion. As for positive stops if the Hurst needed them they would provide them, the geometery of the Hurst is such that they are not required. PS I think that feel is a very good benefit in a shifter.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

Ok,

I have owned (9) Mustangs, and modded them all. It only takes about 5 seconds to understand that shifter stops stop the shift fork from extending to far and damaging the transmission. That is fine that you have owned both, but the only benefit of the Hurst is looks and feel. Look at any aftermarket shifter, (B&M) - (Pro5.0) - (Steeda) - (etc) they all use positive stops!

I am not bashing you that you bought what you bought. Let other people form an opinion, because they are entitled to it. If you damage your transmission, that's up to you. Do a study for yourself and call people like B&M and Pro5.0, before you post a dig on someone. In conclusion, just use common sense.

Thanks!
beaustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:48 PM   #14  
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Let me clear up somethings about both shifters.

Yes, the Hurst lacks stops. Hurst claims they're unnecessary, because of the built-in tranny stops. Steeda says you can still forcefully break a transmission if you don't have them. The factory shifter doesn't have them. You decide.

Neither one shift any better than the other. I originally bought the Steeda, because I wanted to keep the stock look. My wife liked the look of the Hurst and I wanted to try it out anyways, so I bought one. It shifts exactly the same, but my wife it better so it's saying (hence the reason I'm selling mine).

Installation of the Hurst is easier. It is pre-assembled. You have to take the stock shifter apart and install the Steeda parts. The Hurst is a drop in solution. If I'm not mistaken, some places (v6mustangstuff maybe?) sell the pre-assembled Steeda as well.

It was tough to decide which one to keep. They both feel pretty much the same. It all comes down to what you like looks-wise.
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #15  
tino
I ♥ Acer

996r916sps

First of all, I respect your opinions..... but I am trying to make logic sense of your statement.......

Please let me know if I am missing something in my approach here.....

Quote:
It only takes about 5 seconds to understand that shifter stops stop the shift fork from extending to far and damaging the transmission.
The fact that the stock shifter does not have the stops...... Hummm and that the Hurst is much shorter (Throw Wise) less horizontal movement on the shifting arm .......

How do you figure that you are able to push the fork any deeper/ further than stock?????.

Are you saying that out stock shifter is a tranny time bomb?

Lastly IMO It is unlikely that a MFG of the reputation of Hurst, would introduce a product that is unsafe to your tranny.
tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:30 PM   #16  
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Ok,

Lets first start off, that we all own V6 cars and nobody is attacking anyone!

The manual transmission in the new V6 Mustangs is a Tremec built T5. All manual transmission stop internally. It is when you are pulling hard on the shifter that you can and will put excessive force on the shift forks. This is nothing new to manual transmissions. The only Mustang I am aware of that came with factory stops was the 2000 Cobra R, only because they used a B&M shifter in it. If you believe you don't need stops, because the factory one doesn't have them, then why change any part of your car if the factory is better?

To look at the "looks" and not function, is not the answer. You may never break any parts, but the stops are put there to reduce breakage not eliminate it. I see many responses saying the same things, if the stock one doesn't have it the Hurst one should be fine. The bottom line is, without an external stop you can extend the shift fork to far and damage the transmission. All anyone has to do is look at the Mustang shifter aftermarket, no serious shifter company sells it without stops.

I don't know how else I can explain this. It is up to the buyer, but educate yourself on the basics before making your purchase. I think you will understand better, what is good and bad.

Thanks for the chance to discuss this topic, and maybe it will make future shifter buyer aware that there are multiple options. Nobodys way is the best, some just happen to work out better than others. A good place to start, is your local performance shop. Ask them what they would want on there own car, and deal with them. It is that local guy that will help you when something happens, not internet forums. Use the forums for information to make a decision, not drive you into one particular thing.

Thanks!
996r916sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #17  
beaustang
5th Gear Member

So Hurst isn't a serious shifter company; I'm glad you cleared that up!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #18  
v6stanggoddess
1st Gear Member

ANyone ever install a Hurst on an auto?
v6stanggoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:20 PM   #19  
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I don't know if Hurst makes an auto shifter, the ones we're debating are the short throw manuals. You might check Hurst's website to see if they do make one.
PS I liked your other avatar pic better!
Quote:
ORIGINAL: v6stanggoddess

Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #20  
v6stanggoddess
1st Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: beaustang

I don't know if Hurst makes an auto shifter, the ones we're debating are the short throw manuals. You might check Hurst's website to see if they do make one.
PS I liked your other avatar pic better!
Quote:
ORIGINAL: v6stanggoddess

Went to the website and saw some really cool looking ones for autos. REALLY retro looking which is what I am going after. Very cheap too. As far as my avatar. Too many weird pms lol.
v6stanggoddess is offline   Reply With Quote