Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tuner without a CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 04:43 PM
v6stanggoddess
1st Gear Member

Default Tuner without a CAI

Has anyone done this? I do not think I want a CAI anymore and maybe just the tuner will make this gal happy. The reason is a post that was made regarding the cai. I take my car to the local dealership because I do not trust the jiffy lube places. And if they see that I have a CAI then I may be screwed which I dont want that. I bought my car Certified Pre Owned and am a bit scared on messing up the 6 year warranty. I am not afraid of duals, but other stuff makes me a tad nervous
Old 06-29-2006, 04:44 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Tuner without a CAI

There are people that have done it with good gains. I think Zodiac broke the 200RWHP marker with just a tune and his dual exhaust setup, though his car is a manual.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:50 PM
skm52670
1st Gear Member

The tuner will help 'wake up' the motor with or without the CAI. These 4.0s are detuned from the factory.

Besides, from the dyno sheets I've seen, the stock airbox isn't THAT bad. For tooling around town, the tuner will also help your gas mileage. Plus, if you deside to go FI later or get a CAI later, you'll need the tuner anyway. Can't really go wrong with buying a tuner.

Steve
Old 06-29-2006, 04:52 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Yep, the CAI really dosent show its value till the higher rpms, so for driving around the turner will give you great throttle response and more power. The CAI helps if you are at the track and need that high rpm power.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:54 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6stanggoddess

Has anyone done this? I do not think I want a CAI anymore and maybe just the tuner will make this gal happy. The reason is a post that was made regarding the cai. I take my car to the local dealership because I do not trust the jiffy lube places. And if they see that I have a CAI then I may be screwed which I dont want that. I bought my car Certified Pre Owned and am a bit scared on messing up the 6 year warranty. I am not afraid of duals, but other stuff makes me a tad nervous
You could pretty easily switch back to the stock intake and reflash your car back to the stock CPU program any time you needed to take your car in for warranty work... but if you had to do that every time you wanted an oil change, that might get old fast. I've thought about this too, but I change my own oil and such, so I'm not too worried about the little extra work I might need to do from time to time to make my car warranty-worthy.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:11 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

Justin at VMP Tuning did a test and posted his results on another board. Here's the link:

http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163925

Maybe this will ease your mind that duals, a stock airbox and a tuner will ideally fit your needs.

John
Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

By the Moss-Magasun act the only part of a warrenty an aftermarket voids just by being installed is the warrenty on the corresponding stock part. For example say you have an intake and break the driveshaft or something, the dealer can't void the warrenty on the driveshaft unless they can prove it broke because of the intake. Same thing weith exhaust etc...i wouldn't worry about bolt-ons, basic mods most dealers could care less anyway.

I'd be more worried about the tuner as it relates to the warrenty actually, because you are changing all the cars stock parameters, and the dealership could argue that affecting, say the driveshaft again, and voiding more parts of the warrenty alot more effectivley IMO. Jury is still out as far as weather reflashing back to stock erases the fact a tune was even used, but i personally don't think you can erase that...cars save ecu info, speed etc in a sepeate partition in the ecu with an internal battery back up usually and that would show any changes to the ecu made, even if its been changed back.