Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can you get your car tuned for cheap....

Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 PM
LiquidLenny
1st Gear Member

Default Can you get your car tuned for cheap....

without buying a tuner? Like at your local garage or something? Hey I'm a novice so forgive the stupid question. I just bought a CAI that's why I'm asking. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:08 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can you get your car tuned for cheap....

Most of the tuners only work for one car at a time. So you couldn't start a business say, tuning people's mustangs for $25 a pop. Also, there is a code on the electronic module in the engine bay that is needed to make a tuner work for your car. so the chances of being able to get your mustang tuned cheaply without buying a tuner yourself are pretty limited... at least as I understand it

nobody who has a tuner has been unhappy with it. you'll hear time and again that they are "worth every penny"
Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

I think what the question was... say if I lived 10 minutes down the road from babachips, do you think he would tune my car for me for cheaper than I could buy a tuner?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:14 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

then Doug would have an XCAL2 that would only work for YOUR car. Pretty sure the answer is still no.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:15 PM
LiquidLenny
1st Gear Member

O.K. O.K. I understand now. I was wondering/pondering... if a car's computer would self adjust or sense that the air is say- denser and compensate accordingly to a newly installed CAI without needing to be reflashed? Does this ever happen? Like a plug n play on a P.C., is the analogy I'm trying to relay here.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:21 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

no the computer has its parameters (timing, AF mix, idle RPM etc...) programmed from the factory. these won't change unless you reflash the ECU with a tuner. so if your CAI is one that requires a tune, you'll have to buy a tuner. also, since these parameters are already locked in from Ford, using premium fuel will do you no good without a tuner... just another example

CAI/tuner... I don't have either, but nobody has corrected me yet, so I'm pretty sure I speak the truth.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:29 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CMCs05pony

no the computer has its parameters (timing, AF mix, idle RPM etc...) programmed from the factory. these won't change unless you reflash the ECU with a tuner. so if your CAI is one that requires a tune, you'll have to buy a tuner. also, since these parameters are already locked in from Ford, using premium fuel will do you no good without a tuner... just another example

CAI/tuner... I don't have either, but nobody has corrected me yet, so I'm pretty sure I speak the truth.
CMCs05pony is correct. Depending on the CAI you bought you may or may not need a tune. Assuming you have one that requires a tune, if a shop tunes your car they will probably not save your stock programming and if you ever had to re-tune to stock, say for warranty issues, well .....