Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steeda Shifter Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:56 AM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Default Steeda Shifter Kit Installed

Hey,

I had the Steeda shifter kit for V6 manual transmission cars installed at Alternative Auto over the weekend. I must say, I should have done this from when it was new! The difference is amazing, much more control and precise operation. Don't buy the Hurst shifter for V6 cars, because it doesn't have hard stops. The Steeda kit comes with the billet mounting plate for these stop bolts. The kit is about $140 from Steeda and most shops should be able to install it for around $100. It is not as simple as it looks in the pictures, it's kinda involved for a shifter swap. It's not like the old shifter swaps that was basically removing 4 bolts and swap it out.

I am currently waiting for my lowering springs and adjustable panhard rod, so I hope to have them installed by next weekend. I am also working on have my rear rims widened from 18x8 to 18x10, and changing rear tire size from 255/45-18 to 285/40-18. I am stopping at Dicount Tire tonight to price it all out. With these few simple changes, the car should perform well at the track in a few weeks. I am shooting for 14.50's, but that may be too much to hope for in my state of tune.

You can flip thru my previous performance updates, but a quick refresh:

C&L Intake with SCT custom tune
4.10 gears and Ford T-Lock
Spintech Axle Back muffler
MMR TB spacer
Royal Purple Synthetics in Engine,Trans.,Axle
Steeda Shifter
BF Goodridge KDW2 NT tires 255/45-18
Falken Koblenz (black) 18x8 wheels

All this on 89 octane gave me 201rwhp/225rwtq.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-28-2006, 12:03 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Steeda Shifter Kit Installed

I installed the Hurst shifter last weekend, did it myself.....

Looks more complex than what it is....... (although I didn't install the steeda)...

Isn't it a hughe difference?.....
Man how did I ever shift without it.....

Would imagen it is a simillar install Here is a link to the install steps

Old 06-28-2006, 01:31 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Why do you advise against Hurst when you have no idea what you're talking about? Every post I have read in this forum about shifters says the stop bolts are unnecessary and should be removed if they are provided because they can cause damage. In a recent post (I don't remember who it was) one driver broke his Steeda while racing and replaced it with Hurst. Unless you have concrete evidence that a product is sub standard don't attack it just because you bought a competitive brand. This forum is here to share (true) information to help fellow Mustang owners make educated decisions on modifications and maintenance.
ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

Hey,

I had the Steeda shifter kit for V6 manual transmission cars installed at Alternative Auto over the weekend. I must say, I should have done this from when it was new! The difference is amazing, much more control and precise operation. Don't buy the Hurst shifter for V6 cars, because it doesn't have hard stops. The Steeda kit comes with the billet mounting plate for these stop bolts. The kit is about $140 from Steeda and most shops should be able to install it for around $100. It is not as simple as it looks in the pictures, it's kinda involved for a shifter swap. It's not like the old shifter swaps that was basically removing 4 bolts and swap it out.

I am currently waiting for my lowering springs and adjustable panhard rod, so I hope to have them installed by next weekend. I am also working on have my rear rims widened from 18x8 to 18x10, and changing rear tire size from 255/45-18 to 285/40-18. I am stopping at Dicount Tire tonight to price it all out. With these few simple changes, the car should perform well at the track in a few weeks. I am shooting for 14.50's, but that may be too much to hope for in my state of tune.

You can flip thru my previous performance updates, but a quick refresh:

C&L Intake with SCT custom tune
4.10 gears and Ford T-Lock
Spintech Axle Back muffler
MMR TB spacer
Royal Purple Synthetics in Engine,Trans.,Axle
Steeda Shifter
BF Goodridge KDW2 NT tires 255/45-18
Falken Koblenz (black) 18x8 wheels

All this on 89 octane gave me 201rwhp/225rwtq.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-28-2006, 01:39 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

WOW....

I didn't read the whole post.....LOL

But well said Beaustang. I do not bash Steeda because I do not know about their shifter, but contrary to 996r916sps post, the Hurst is awsome!!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:52 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

how many of you have had the hurst and the steeda?

Ive had both. I much prefer the feel of the hurst and the ease of the install. The steeda was a great improvement over stock, and the hurst is a great improvement over the steeda.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:57 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beaustang

Why do you advise against Hurst when you have no idea what you're talking about? Every post I have read in this forum about shifters says the stop bolts are unnecessary and should be removed if they are provided because they can cause damage. In a recent post (I don't remember who it was) one driver broke his Steeda while racing and replaced it with Hurst. Unless you have concrete evidence that a product is sub standard don't attack it just because you bought a competitive brand. This forum is here to share (true) information to help fellow Mustang owners make educated decisions on modifications and maintenance.

That would be me that broke my shifter, but it wasnt actually the steeda shifter, it was the stock arm, and the steeda bushings that failed. Again, i much prefer the hurst, but it took a while to get use to the new style of shifting (the steeda feels just like stock, but shorter)
Old 06-28-2006, 02:27 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I stand corrected, but my point remains; don't flame a product you have no experience with.
ORIGINAL: fazm

ORIGINAL: beaustang

That would be me that broke my shifter, but it wasnt actually the steeda shifter, it was the stock arm, and the steeda bushings that failed. Again, i much prefer the hurst, but it took a while to get use to the new style of shifting (the steeda feels just like stock, but shorter)
Old 06-28-2006, 04:41 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Ok,

I have owned (9) Mustangs, and modded them all. It only takes about 5 seconds to understand that shifter stops stop the shift fork from extending to far and damaging the transmission. That is fine that you have owned both, but the only benefit of the Hurst is looks and feel. Look at any aftermarket shifter, (B&M) - (Pro5.0) - (Steeda) - (etc) they all use positive stops!

I am not bashing you that you bought what you bought. Let other people form an opinion, because they are entitled to it. If you damage your transmission, that's up to you. Do a study for yourself and call people like B&M and Pro5.0, before you post a dig on someone. In conclusion, just use common sense.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:14 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Dont forget the hurst has a shorter throw than the steeda.

I agree on the stop bolts, but youd have to be shifting harder than i do, to even use them. And i shift hard. My 3rd gear is/was on its way out at 18k miles.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

it sounds like the hurst is better with fazm points on how hes owned both.

Quick Reply: Steeda Shifter Kit Installed