Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Some questions I have

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:45 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Some questions I have

ORIGINAL: randy78045

ORIGINAL: CMCs05pony

Headers are sets of tubes that feed exhaust from each cylinder into the exhaust pipes. Horsepower gains for our v6 with headers alone are small. but they're still pretty cool!! people change to headers for increaseed exhaust flow, but again... the stock ones on our engine are well designed and adding headers to say, a dual exhaust setup won't add much hp... maybe some volume to the exhaust note!

Heads are basically the "covers" for the cylinders on your engine. the combustion takes place inside the cylinder, below the cylinder heads.

Gears...

The engine feeds its rotational power through the transmission and into the driveshaft. The driveshaft connects to the pinion gear in your rear differential. The pinion gear drives the ring gear sending power to your wheels. Gear sets are numbered with ratios... a 3.73 gear set means that the ratio of turns from the pinion gear to the ring gear is 3.73 to 1. A "shorter" gearset has a higher number. (ex 4.10 is shorter than 3.73) Shorter gears will increase the number of rpms of the driveshaft required to produce a certain rotational speed of the wheels.

example. in 5th gear at 60 mph... 4.10 gears will have your engine running at a higher rpm than 3.73 gears. Both 3.73 and 4.10 (the most common ratios available for the 7.5 inch Ford rear dif) are shorter than stock, which I think is around 3.5. The different gear ratios basically serve the purpose of getting you into your engine's powerband faster.
you should take up teaching... very good...
i'm a mechanical engineer so I need to speak 2 languages... technical and layman.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:50 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onefastv6

headers are what take the air out of the engine (we have two on each side) our stock headers are called "manifolds"
and the piping is smaller meaning less air can come out or the longer it will take . by upgrading your manifold with headers more air come out in a free flow. resulting in more hp and tq.

gears:
when you hear the car shift its going into a new gear a taller one. or maybe a shorter one when downshifting. In first gear our gearing lets us go about 45 mph in second 65 or something its just like a bigger pulley the bigger the pulley the slower the engine rotates. and if the engine can only rotate so fast thats why you need to shift so you can go faster. bassically the lower the gear ratio 3.73 or 4.10s the faster you will exelerate higher the slower 3.30 like our stock 05-06 autos so by upgrading to 4.10s we will be faster but shift ewarlier and have a lower top speed.

hope that helped you at all. later somebody will give you a link that wll explain it alot better than me.-jim
that's a pretty good description of how the transmission works... the pulley analogy was good. but it's a common misconception that a shorter gearset will lower top speed. this is not true. the engine will just have to run at a higher rpm to reach the same top speed.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers

Very interesting about the gears, thank you. I was wondering if gears are something I would get any benefit from. I don't race, but I like having acceleration available when needed.

Basically, I seldom get my car into 5th. Pretty sad, but I rarely go above 75mph because of traffic. Would 3.73's give me better acceleration? I'm thinking if I had shorter gears, I'd use 5th gear more often which might even give me better mileage (???).

Ken
Ken,

shorter gears like 4.10 will improve your gas mileage when driving around town, but would hurt it slightly if you do a lot of highway driving because the engine is in top gear and running at a higher rpm than it would be with taller gears like the stock ones. from the description you gave about your driving conditions, I would def. go for 4.10's... you'll get that extra acceleration you're after.
What's involved with replacing these? Is it a do-it-yourselfer or take it somewhere? V6Mustangstuff sells something called Ring Gear and Pinion Gear 3.73/4.10 for 7.5in for 2005 Mustang V6 for $200 . Is this the product we are talking about? I wonder if 4.10's would be too short for someone who spends 90% of their time doing 45 - 60mph?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:26 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

not a do it yourself-er. any speed shop should be able to do it. I think Ford dealers should also be able to. If you buy Ford Racing brand gears and have Ford do the install, the warranty might hold up??

my advice would be to get a magazine like "modified mustangs" (one of our fellow v6'ers is featured this month) Those mags are chalk-full of ads for everything from gears to body kits. you'll find at least a dozen places to buy gears there. many of this forum's sponsors also sell them. expect to pay between 150 and 200 bucks for the set

also, our v6 stangs only send power to the rear, passenger side tire. buying a limited slip differential (Ford Racing brand T-LOK) will send power to both rear tires and it would be very convenient to have the gears replaced and the LSD installed at the same time. most people who have gone forward with lots of modifications have a limited slip installed. The part again costs around $150-$200.

My guess would be about $400 to have the gears changed and the LSD installed.

I speak from no actual experience buying these parts or paying to have them installed... not yet. Others can give you a more realistic cost estimate for the whole project.

EDIT: my car is a daily driver. my commute is 40 miles each way, speeds ranging from 10 mph to 70 mph. I'm getting 4.10's. The fuel economy won't suffer that much. Your link is exactly the parts we're talking about
Old 06-29-2006, 07:26 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onefastv6

headers are what take the air out of the engine (we have two on each side) our stock headers are called "manifolds"
and the piping is smaller meaning less air can come out or the longer it will take . by upgrading your manifold with headers more air come out in a free flow. resulting in more hp and tq.

gears:
when you hear the car shift its going into a new gear a taller one. or maybe a shorter one when downshifting. In first gear our gearing lets us go about 45 mph in second 65 or something its just like a bigger pulley the bigger the pulley the slower the engine rotates. and if the engine can only rotate so fast thats why you need to shift so you can go faster. bassically the lower the gear ratio 3.73 or 4.10s the faster you will exelerate higher the slower 3.30 like our stock 05-06 autos so by upgrading to 4.10s we will be faster but shift ewarlier and have a lower top speed.

hope that helped you at all. later somebody will give you a link that wll explain it alot better than me.-jim
that's a pretty good description of how the transmission works... the pulley analogy was good. but it's a common misconception that a shorter gearset will lower top speed. this is not true. the engine will just have to run at a higher rpm to reach the same top speed.
use 5th gear more often which might even give me better mileage (???).
it would be true an=bout the top speed if you had alot of horsepower. but i dint really want to get into that because shes already has alot on her plate.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:27 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: robc@pdpf.com

You did fine Jim
thanks rob
Old 06-29-2006, 07:28 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28hopup

EDIT: Wow - you guys posted quite alot while I was typing!!!
happens to me all the time![&:]
Old 06-29-2006, 08:43 PM
v6stanggoddess
1st Gear Member

Wow thanks guys. I understand the heads. ANd I understand the headers. The only thing I am confused about on the headers though is why get them? Is it just for sound?

The gears are still a little confusing but I think I am getting it slowly.

Some more questions...

what is the purpose of a shaker hood? Does it just shake around while the engine shakes? So it is for appearance only?

Also. Looking at my new book of mustangs I see the tires on the late 60s early 70s models were huge. But now everyone prefers the lower to the ground ones. Is there a reason for that?

And finally a stupid question. Is our engine considered a big block or a small block? Why? And do you guys think in your opinions that Ford Motor Company knows that many owners plan on tuning their tuned down engines?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6stanggoddess

Wow thanks guys. I understand the heads. ANd I understand the headers. The only thing I am confused about on the headers though is why get them? Is it just for sound?
NO, headers are so the engine can breath easier. if you take air into the engine (with the airbox or air intake)it needs to leave somehow but if all the air has to leave through a bunch of tiny holes it wont get out fast and it will be less efficient meaning less power and mileage. so aftermarket headers are basically bigger holes for the air to escape through quickly to gain power.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:02 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6stanggoddess

Some more questions...

what is the purpose of a shaker hood? Does it just shake around while the engine shakes? So it is for appearance only?
the purpose of a shaker hood scoop is to look really cool and
its also to get air that goes over your hood to fly into your engine compartment and cool down the air. meaning more horespower.

Quick Reply: Some questions I have