Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

mods question,,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 PM
glomar98

Default mods question,,,

Hey I gotta 2006 V6,, yes laugh all you GT owners,,and ask me why I didnt' just buy a GT,,, I just wanted to know what needs to be done before a supercharger can be installed,, Ive posted this question b4, just wanted to see if there's any others with some different opinions on this subject,, someone told me not to get true duals because of the back pressure and all this,, whats up with that,, ive seen plenty sixers with it and sounds pretty good,,,, whats the deal,,, anyway any suggestions on other mods would be appreciate it,, havn't doneanything to it yet,,, thanks everyone,,
Old 01-18-2007, 01:38 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: mods question,,,

LSD, gears and a bolt on muffler would be my first choice.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:38 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Pick up the phone and call Pypes, call Flowmaster etc. Ask them why the balanced exhaust system is recomended.
The answer is quite simple. The true dual exhaust systems are tested and proven to work properly to not only provide balanced flow between banks but they also keep any check engine code from occurring. They don't void the factory warranty on your drive train provided you install a cat back system and keep it emissions / street legal.
No, I don't question why you didn't get a GT. No one should, especially on the V6 forum ;-).
I have tons of reasons I didnt' get a GT. One primary reason is I don't like the 4.6 engine. Dissapointing output for the monster it is IMO. Gas hog, 90 degree V when it could easily be a 65 degree. Overcomplicated internals and too manyparasitic this and that sucking up power that could go to the wheels and on and on.
IMO, a blower is going to wear your stock V6 down a lot faster/sooner than not having one. Could void the warranty too. Check with your dealer to see how much of a fuss they will give you about that issue. I'm pretty sure a blower will void the warranty regardless of what the law says.
There are other potentialissues with Blowers you have to take a risk with such as back fire and blow back that can blow the intake manifold right off the block if there is a glitch or gremlin. BANG! LAUNCH! INSTANT SCRAP ENGINE!
No, it doesn't happen often but it can happen.

Go with true duals (cat back), a CAI and a tune. That's all you need. If you want to get fancier, go with a posi-trac' differential by Ford racing. I just had my dealer install one. It's covered under the drive trainwarranty too.

For me, if I do any sort of major work on my engine, I'll swap it out for Ford's new BOSS 302. That would be schueet! No need to swap out the tranny if you are running an automatic. I would upgrade the tranny though if it wasa stick.
Good luck and enjoy your Pony. It's no slouch as it is as you know.
So stick with simple do it yourself bolt ons. Keep it a true V6, not a GT wannabe.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:44 PM
glomar98

Thanks for the info,,,as for the 302,, i was thinkin about that also, but someone to just go with a supercharger or procharger,,, If i do go with true dual,, I can just take it to any descent muffler place and they should be able to hook it up for right?. I was thinkin of the JBA headers and JBA true dual system. Plus maybe a C & L intake and the tuner. Gears, maybe 4:10's from what Ive heard thats they way to go and some underdrive pulley's,, hows that sound for starters ? let me know if this is a good investment,, thanks everyone for the info, keep it comin..
Old 01-18-2007, 02:01 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Yeah, if I go with a BOSS then I can add BOSS logo's on my ride and it won't be no wannabe GT. GT eat your heart out cause I'm gonna blow your doors off with my sleeper!

I installed Pypes true duals cat back system recently. It was a piece of cake.
If you hire someone, make darn sure you call around and not only interview the shop owners thoroughly but make darn sure they have experience with that exact installation! Ask for references when in doubt. Dont' trust just any exhaust shop to do it. I'd use the dealer if I were you but that's not a 100% guarantee it will be done right either unless they can guarantee you they have an experienced tech that does that sort of work all the time and he has NO complaints on his work!

A decent fee for installation to me is no more than $250 bucks. You might find someone to do it for less but you get what you pay for. Keep that in mind.
There's really no way to screw up the installation unless of course the mech' is a druggie or a complete moron. The kit comes with instructions, hangers, clamps etc.
No way to screw it up IMO.

By the way, I purchased and am going to install C and L's CAI system and I'm going to use Diablo Predator to give it a performance tune. C and L comes with an 85mm alum billit MAF housing too. You can find out more by visiting RPM outlet. They have kits and packageson sale.

One other thing. I wouldn't go with 4:10 gears. If you do change them, go with 3:73's. I left mine at 3:31 when I had the posi installed. Highway mileage, highway RPM is stock. I prefer to keep it that way. Underdrive pulley? Well that's up to you but keep the drive train warranty in mind. Make sure that won't void warranty or cause other glitches such as lowered AC capability, alternator and charging problems not to mention sucking the life out of the battery (i.e. pre-mature battery failure)as the charging system tries to keep up etc.

Good luck!