Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

F/I

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:11 AM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default RE: F/I

Thanks for all the help I finally get it! [sm=happy046.gif]
Old 07-06-2006, 04:25 AM
AmericanMade
3rd Gear Member

But doesn't the boost in the ProCharger kick in between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM? I'm pretty sure that's what I was told. I always thought the blower was this...
Old 07-08-2006, 01:22 PM
1stV6Stang

ORIGINAL: BlueStang6

ORIGINAL: Justin_R

Whats the difference between a blower and a supercharger?
A blower is one of three basic types of superchargers - Roots type, Screw type, and Centrifugal. It is a Roots type and because it does not have internal compression, its design classifies it as a "blower" and because of that, it will never have the same potential as the Screw type or Centrifugal. Its big advantage is that it produces full boost at low rpms (often by 2000 rpms) which make it ideal for smaller engines and top fuel racers. If you're going street light to street light, you're almost immediately at peak boost and hard to beat. A second big advantage is that a roots blower has very few moving parts and spins at low rpms which make it one of the most cost effective, durable and reliable supercharger designs.
Ok, I just joined MF though i've been a lurking around for several months. I pretty much made up my mind to get a roots supercharger like x-charger because I'm prolly never going to the track and I want a F/I that will give my stock engine a safe, long life and at the same time give me enough power to beat a rice rocket and hardtime one of our GT brothers. And for the cost per HP/Torque @ 2000 RPM (down low where I'll need it from stop light to stop light) the xCharger looks like the only way to go - not only that but its soooo damned sexy! My question is - what are the disadvantages to a roots blower? And is it enough to make me reconsider a centrifugal like procharger or vortech? I wouldn't go turbo cause I'm not interested in that much power in the higher RPM range.

Thanks, Rico
Old 07-08-2006, 02:41 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

+1 thats exactly what i want too, and to me the turbo's boost would be wasted on the street. but unlike u, i have already made up my mind that im going with the X charger

Hope u make the right choice

Paul

ORIGINAL: 1stV6Stang

ORIGINAL: BlueStang6

ORIGINAL: Justin_R

Whats the difference between a blower and a supercharger?
A blower is one of three basic types of superchargers - Roots type, Screw type, and Centrifugal. It is a Roots type and because it does not have internal compression, its design classifies it as a "blower" and because of that, it will never have the same potential as the Screw type or Centrifugal. Its big advantage is that it produces full boost at low rpms (often by 2000 rpms) which make it ideal for smaller engines and top fuel racers. If you're going street light to street light, you're almost immediately at peak boost and hard to beat. A second big advantage is that a roots blower has very few moving parts and spins at low rpms which make it one of the most cost effective, durable and reliable supercharger designs.
Ok, I just joined MF though i've been a lurking around for several months. I pretty much made up my mind to get a roots supercharger like x-charger because I'm prolly never going to the track and I want a F/I that will give my stock engine a safe, long life and at the same time give me enough power to beat a rice rocket and hardtime one of our GT brothers. And for the cost per HP/Torque @ 2000 RPM (down low where I'll need it from stop light to stop light) the xCharger looks like the only way to go - not only that but its soooo damned sexy! My question is - what are the disadvantages to a roots blower? And is it enough to make me reconsider a centrifugal like procharger or vortech? I wouldn't go turbo cause I'm not interested in that much power in the higher RPM range.

Thanks, Rico
Old 07-08-2006, 05:45 PM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger.htm

How a supercharger works and the different kinds. It's actually interesting.