Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What are the best parts for the 4.0???

Old 07-08-2006, 06:04 AM
Pimpin Pony
2nd Gear Member

Default What are the best parts for the 4.0???

I just bought my mustang a little over a month ago. I owned a 94 V6 before but never had the money to really do anything to it. I know a decent bit about cars and I would like to be seeing somewhere around 250-300 rwhp on a naturally aspirated V6 in about a year to a year and a half. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do but I am just not sure about what is the best brands to go with and which ones have more HP gains over the competition. I want a deep Borla sounding duel exhaust but I havent found any sound clips for a V6 that really caught my ear. I REALLY liked the side exhaust on the bash performance GT that sombody posted on the V6 forum, but I just dont know how it would sound on the 4.0L. I am thinking duels with either an X or H pipe and cat forward headers will be my first step with a CAI and tuning to follow, but like I said I am just not sure on the brands. ANY advice would be appriciated!!!!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:45 AM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What are the best parts for the 4.0???

ORIGINAL: Pimpin Pony

I just bought my mustang a little over a month ago. I owned a 94 V6 before but never had the money to really do anything to it. I know a decent bit about cars and I would like to be seeing somewhere around 250-300 rwhp on a naturally aspirated V6 in about a year to a year and a half. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do but I am just not sure about what is the best brands to go with and which ones have more HP gains over the competition. I want a deep Borla sounding duel exhaust but I havent found any sound clips for a V6 that really caught my ear. I REALLY liked the side exhaust on the bash performance GT that sombody posted on the V6 forum, but I just dont know how it would sound on the 4.0L. I am thinking duels with either an X or H pipe and cat forward headers will be my first step with a CAI and tuning to follow, but like I said I am just not sure on the brands. ANY advice would be appriciated!!!!
You will be hard put to get that kind of horse power with out F/I. You would spend more money beefing up the internals of your engine than just buying a turbocharger or supercharger. I have a CAI, XCAL2 and MRT exhaust, besides those bolt ons, nitrous or F/I are the only affordable ways to get those types of gains. Good luck and happy modding!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:24 AM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

to reitterate, tosober is corect that to see those numbers on a 4.0 N/A would be a mirracle. Fazm has pretty much every bolt on there is for the 4.0 and hes putting arround 213/214 rwhp.. where as afixer with his xcharger is makeing about 277rwhp and amazingly 266rwt at only 2200rpm.

Paul
Old 07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Pimpin Pony
2nd Gear Member

Well I do plan on putting a supercharger but only after my warranty runs out. I want to put a CAI, duel exhaust with an H-pipe, hi-flow headers, underdrive pullies, 70mm throttle body, throttle body spacer, msd ignition system, 9mm spark plug wires, 4 pt spark plugs, and x-cal II with a 93 octane tune. I dont think any of that will void my warranty and it should get me somewhere very close to 250 rwhp if not more. Then I plan on putting on a paxton supercharger and changing the heads over to a duel overhead cam setup and replacing the injectors to a higher flow set up along with a more powerful fuel pump. I just need to find out what brands give the biggest power increase for the parts I want.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:25 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

I hate to burst your bubble dude but you won't be pushing 250 rwhp with that. Some of those mods won't produce the gains they say they will...Like the 70mm TB if I recall correctly has been dynoed on our cars to show no actuall gains. The plugs and wires won't show any gains, though I believe they're a recomended upgrade when going FI.

I'm not an expert on this though so I'm sure someone else who knows more will chime in shortly.

Your main gains will come from the CAI & Tune and then from opening up your exhaust...all though just replacing the single muffler with one that actually flows would accomplish it...duals are mainly just for looks on our 6
Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Dang it blazen you beat me to it I was just about to say the same thing, the Intake and tune will give you the biggest gain other than that an exhaust and the headers will also help out some, but the TB and TB spacer show no gains on a N/A car. The only way to get that kinda power out of a N/A is to go stroke it to a 4.5 or get a SSM block or something.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

LOL, Sorry I'll type slower next time. But hey you elaborated on my answer giving him even more info...teamwork kicks ***.
ORIGINAL: Justin_R

Dang it blazen you beat me to it I was just about to say the same thing, the Intake and tune will give you the biggest gain other than that an exhaust and the headers will also help out some, but the TB and TB spacer show no gains on a N/A car. The only way to get that kinda power out of a N/A is to go stroke it to a 4.5 or get a SSM block or something.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

LOL, BTW whats wrong with your link?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:41 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

What's not working now? My sig or the link to my Gallery? They're both working on my end.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Pimpin Pony
2nd Gear Member

the wires and plugs wont even help with an ignition system?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the best parts for the 4.0???