Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Mansmadlogic
1st Gear Member

Default gears

Got an automatic and Im looking to put in new gears but i dont know if i should take it to a 8.8 rearend 4:10 for being a daily driver also underpullys suggestions? also I was wondering the difference between h pipes and x pipes I want to put a dual exhaust in but i dont get the difference? But aside form all that I love my mustang I dont care for the stock wing but changing it to a xenon ducktail.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:17 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: gears

ORIGINAL: Mansmadlogic

Got an automatic and Im looking to put in new gears but i dont know if i should take it to a 8.8 rearend 4:10 for being a daily driver also underpullys suggestions? also I was wondering the difference between h pipes and x pipes I want to put a dual exhaust in but i dont get the difference? But aside form all that I love my mustang I dont care for the stock wing but changing it to a xenon ducktail.
Good choice on the spoiler!!!! I considered that one as well before I got mine. What are your goals for the car, NA with bolt ons.....Power Adder? If you are going NA only with bolt ons, the 4.10s are great for the autos and really get em out of the hole. If you are going with a power adder, my opinion is for 3.73's, its a nice balance between going from a dig and top end, and you won't run out of gear. I wouldn't go 8.8 unless you plan to build a serious track car, though I would get a LSD for your existing 7.5.

I dyno'd a Y to an X and only saw a gain of 2HP, which is arguable on a dynojet to other conditions, so they all pretty much give the same gain. Sound wise my Y pipe dual setup and X pipe dual setup sounded the same (clips on my web site). H pipe sounds deeper in my opinion, but listen to some of the exahaust clips. NA, a single will give you just as much gain. Have you considered a single MRT or Flowmaster or other high quality less restrictive muffler?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Mansmadlogic
1st Gear Member

goals well I would like to kick the snot out of a couple of cars i work with im more interested in street race then drag so maybe a 373 would be better but i have a cold air filter now looking to improve the exhaust want to change my underpully sway bar some shorty headers procharger that will be one of the last things depends on the stress its going to put on my engine some diablosport saw a couple of throttle bodys that i want to check out a little closer i wold like to be around 235 to 250 rwhp or better but we'll see
Old 07-14-2006, 11:35 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mansmadlogic

goals well I would like to kick the snot out of a couple of cars i work with im more interested in street race then drag so maybe a 373 would be better but i have a cold air filter now looking to improve the exhaust want to change my underpully sway bar some shorty headers procharger that will be one of the last things depends on the stress its going to put on my engine some diablosport saw a couple of throttle bodys that i want to check out a little closer i wold like to be around 235 to 250 rwhp or better but we'll see
Ok, looks like you are starting with bolt ons and plan to go FI later. UD pulley, dyno'd with no gains on our cars. I would get the PHP Alternator Pulley, its been dyno'd to show 3-5HP gain. If you are going SC I would get long tubes. They will show a greater gain with FI. A friend of mine had MAC LT's on his car and unlike the MAC ST's, the shop said the MAC LT's were a perfect fit and nice quality. I would also replace your stock cats with MAC high flow cats. TB also showed no gain on our cars, no one has tested one with FI yet, but I wouldn't bother.

I would find out what your local shops support in terms of tuners. I had a Diablo and couln't find a local dyno shop that used them. I since then switched to SCT XCAL2.

With a really good tune, if you are a manual, you can hit 210-215RWHP which will put you at your goals.