Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Some questions about my Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:47 PM
chuckcsf
2nd Gear Member

Default Some questions about my Mustang

I just got a White 06 Premium Mustang V6 4.0. It is a little Disappointing that my 4.0 only has 210 hp compared to the Eclipse GT 3.8 260 HP. How is this possible? Why did Ford allow this to happen? And why is there a big gap between the V6 Mustang and the V8 powerwise? There's not much difference in the size. I'm kinda new to the world of Mustang and I didn't do my research before I bought mine. I would have gone with a V8 if I knew there was this much of a power difference. Would it cost me less to pay for mods on my v6 to match the power of a V8 than to buy the V8? What are some advatages to the V6 over the V8?
Old 07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
micx7
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Some questions about my Mustang

Advantages: Lower Insurance Payments, Likely fewer speeding tickets, Cheaper.

The GT if a beautiful machine and so is the v6. I found the V6 to be fast enough for me, at this point in my life (20), I don't need to be paying huge payments and laying down rubber in the suburbs. If horsepower is what you crave, you can mod or get a GT if you like. And I know someone else will chime in if I'm wrong but the Eclipse is pretty dissapointing performance wise and posts a pretty hefty weight and poor output. It's not always about the horsepower and torque, it's how its put to use. Hope this helped.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:57 PM
chuckcsf
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I was reading at the other section and most of them said the eclipse would smoke my V6 Mustang. Also, when I went to the insurance company after I got my ride, Mustang and Mustang V8 are in the same category and insurance would cost the same. I didn't believe him at first coz maybe he was just overcharging me but he showed it to me on his computer.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:59 PM
El Verdugo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chuckcsf

I just got a White 06 Premium Mustang V6 4.0. It is a little Disappointing that my 4.0 only has 210 hp compared to the Eclipse GT 3.8 260 HP. How is this possible? Why did Ford allow this to happen? And why is there a big gap between the V6 Mustang and the V8 powerwise? There's not much difference in the size. I'm kinda new to the world of Mustang and I didn't do my research before I bought mine. I would have gone with a V8 if I knew there was this much of a power difference. Would it cost me less to pay for mods on my v6 to match the power of a V8 than to buy the V8? What are some advatages to the V6 over the V8?
Say man all you need to do is do some searching on this forum to see the details in these 2 vehicles. I think some one in the past did a nice write up on the difference btn the two vehicles (V6 and V8) If its power that you crave did you not try each version before purchasing if not shame on you. As for the eclipse it all comes down to power/weight ratio vs the mustang on the same v6 platform. Also take into account FWD vs RWD and I think that a true sports car is always going to be a RWD vehicle.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I didn't even test drive the GT because I knew I would fall in love with it, and then not want to buy the V6.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:12 PM
El Verdugo
1st Gear Member

Gotcha and you are right, the speed bug can be addictive.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

Same thing with me, Black06Stang. I didn't drive the GT because I didn't want to feel the difference, knowing that the V6 was all I could afford. Ignorance can be bliss, so I'd rather not know what I'm missing. LOL.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
El Verdugo
1st Gear Member

You are right, "you can not miss what you never had" or in this case what you never test drove.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:53 PM
bluhawkshockey31
2nd Gear Member

is the insurance for the V6 and GT really that close? We bought the V6 thinking that the GT would be way out of the price rang for insurance...I love my V6 but would much rather have that V8 muscle if it were reasonable
Old 07-19-2006, 04:02 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluhawkshockey31

is the insurance for the V6 and GT really that close? We bought the V6 thinking that the GT would be way out of the price rang for insurance...I love my V6 but would much rather have that V8 muscle if it were reasonable

NO NO NO NO... thats the only reason i didnt work a few extra hours and guy a GT... insurance was WAYYYYYYY too much. Granted i am young, that may be the main problem, but just about anything is expensive for me!~

Quick Reply: Some questions about my Mustang