Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:45 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

Default CAI or no?

Question for you guys, probably been asked a trillion times before, but what the heck, let's start a new thread.

I think I am about to break down and buy a tuner. I just can't stand it anymore, all this reading about how much it feels like a different car after. Question is, isn't the stock airbox adequate for the tuner? What kind of increses are we looking at with just a tuner, tuner with drop in K&N, vs a tuner and cai combo? I have a axle-back exhaust put on, so out flow is increased, but really, how much does a CAI increase inflow. I'd also like to add that the CAI's for our cars dont look like a cai, they look like short rams with bigger filters for better flow, dont look like they scoop colder air for us.

Any repsponses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:58 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI or no?

I talked to Justin at VMP Tuning who, I think, has done more Dyno testing with different CAIs than anybody. He says theres only about 6 rwhp to be gained with a well designed CAI, no matter how big the tube is and in his opinion may not be worth it. Now, a tuner programmed by someone with experience and knowledge about our 4.0L SOHC - that's worth every penny paid.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:59 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

There is no question that the CAI adds something.... the question is, how much?

I ordered a tuner and CAI, but because the CAI's were on back order, I got the tuner first, and installed a 93 octane tune.

The tune alone made a big difference. Most notably, throttle lag was gone, and the car shifted much more firmly, and at much better points. It made the car feel much better, because I think the Achilles heel of the 6'er is the freakin throttle lag. The shift points made the car feel more responsive because it spent more time in the RPM power band (i.e. went to higher RPM's) before it shifted.

So... tuner alone was a very nice change.

Then I got the CAI. I installed it, and then loaded the 93 octane CAI tune. The big difference here was at higher RPM's, when you are really pushing the engine. Without the CAI, there is a nice power band from 2000-4000 RPM, but it feels like it kinda fades at the top. With the CAI, there is a "second wind"..... all the way up to 5000 PRM, it feels like it can pull like a mule.

Get both. Evolution has the tuner and C&L CAI for $580. It's worth pulling out the credit card to get the better performance.

JUST DO IT !!!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:03 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlueStang6

I talked to Justin at VMP Tuning who, I think, has done more Dyno testing with different CAIs than anybody. He says theres only about 6 rwhp to be gained with a well designed CAI, no matter how big the tube is and in his opinion may not be worth it. Now, a tuner programmed by someone with experience and knowledge about our 4.0L SOHC - that's worth every penny paid.
Well, if you are trying for 1/4 mile times, then the peak HP effect may be all you look at. But for driveability, I am more interested in getting more torque earlier and longer in the RPM range... more interested than what is the max gain I see at redline..... that's the problem with just looking at peak HP or torque, it does not really address the effect in the real drivability range.

You could convince yourself to not do a tuner with this logic.... it only add 12 HP.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:09 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

I haven't been to a track in probably 10 years. All we have around here is the 1/8th mile anyway. SAD.

streetability is what matters to me more than anything, I drive on the interstate a lot, and like to get to 75mph as quickly as I can. just love the acceleration.

So what you are saying is, the difference is 12 hp with tuner, 19 or so with tuner and cai.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:14 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

I don't know the exact numbers... I believe a good tune and CAI will net 20 HP, or maybe a little more. I think if you throw in a muffler, you are probably at 25 RWHP gain, which is like 30HP at the flywheel. So it would make our cars like a 235 to 240 HP car with 250-255 touque at the flywheel. Not bad at all..... approaching the performance of an '04 GT, and looking MUCH better.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
solo500
1st Gear Member

Sorry to go off topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I have a K&N air filter, If I buy a S&B intake...will I still be able to use the filter or does the CAI replace it completely? Because if it does....I wasted $60.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:25 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: windveilpete

Question for you guys, probably been asked a trillion times before, but what the heck, let's start a new thread.

I think I am about to break down and buy a tuner. I just can't stand it anymore, all this reading about how much it feels like a different car after. Question is, isn't the stock airbox adequate for the tuner? What kind of increses are we looking at with just a tuner, tuner with drop in K&N, vs a tuner and cai combo? I have a axle-back exhaust put on, so out flow is increased, but really, how much does a CAI increase inflow. I'd also like to add that the CAI's for our cars dont look like a cai, they look like short rams with bigger filters for better flow, dont look like they scoop colder air for us.

Any repsponses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hey windEVILpete (nadda typo ),

You are correct about that. Calling these units a "CAI" is really a mis-nomer. None of them (to my knowledge) direct cold air into the engine, but they do improve airflow. That's their main benefit.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Considering the the newest mustangs almost require a tune after every mod, I think he'll gain more than 6HP with a new air intake + Tuner. According to MM&FF you will see 0 gain without tuning a newly installed Air Intake. The tune alone adds 5hp + 3-4 for the air intake nets about 8-9hp.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:59 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

yep.. your talking 6 to 8 RWHP for at CAI... The stock air box actually does pretty good until around 4,000 RPM... Here's the stock vs the C&L I had:

Some car seem to better than others... Now one thing I will say... The C&L made a HUGE difference on the STREET! More of a difference than I would have expected based on the dyno numbers! Was very impressed with it!

oh... and of course... don't forget they look cool and sound even cooler! LOL!

Quick Reply: CAI or no?