Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New member, body kit question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Adian

Default New member, body kit question

Hey guys, sorry if some of the questions I am about to ask have already been answered
I have a month old V6 and am going to be doing some body work to it, a body kit to start with, the most expensive then move to upgrading the engine. I found the Boy Racer kit, but instead of the big wing on the back I'm going to put a duck tail spoiler, it looks pretty good. My question is it says that a GT Grille is required to install the Boy Racer kit, but I have seen pictures of it installed without the front GT Grille and fog lights, does anyone here have any insight into this?...I like the grille and light kit, can find a V-6 one on mrbodykit.com, but it is not the diamond pattern, it is a straight line pattern but made for the V-6 if anyone is interested...I would like to go ahead and be able to install the body kit witout buying the grille and lights just yet, want that to be a bit later, but if possible I was thinking about not going with that at all and just going with a dif grille than tha plastic stock one....But if anyone has any knowledge as to if I can make it work without and how to do it I would be greatly appreciative

As a side note, don't know if you guys know about this website, but it is called ponybuilder.com, a really great site to select your mustang and do body modifications and such and be able to see what it looks like before purchasing....They have quite a few body kits to choose from as well as being able to choose your model, color, wheels, spoilers, can even lower it to get a look at it

Hope this helps
Old 07-23-2006, 02:48 PM
workshop4ever
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New member, body kit question

the V6 and GT grills are different. The reason you need the GT grill is because the cutout in the front bumper is sized to fit a GT grill. You can find the replacement GT grills just about anywhere and put one of those on. They do make them without foglights.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:00 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: workshop4ever

the V6 and GT grills are different. The reason you need the GT grill is because the cutout in the front bumper is sized to fit a GT grill. You can find the replacement GT grills just about anywhere and put one of those on. They do make them without foglights.

It sounds like you don't already have a GT grille so be sure you get the direct replacement grille, not the overlay type.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Adian

How much trouble will it be to install a GT grille that doesn't have the fog lights?...Will there be much modification needed to make the grille and kit mesh together correctly?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:01 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adian

How much trouble will it be to install a GT grille that doesn't have the fog lights?...Will there be much modification needed to make the grille and kit mesh together correctly?
No the grill and the kit are made to mesh together easily.. thats why you have to have the GT grill to put the kit on.. because the kit wont fit the V6 grill.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Adian

Everywhere I have been reading it talks about the problems in converting the GT grill to fit the V-6, talks about shaving things down and snipping parts off and what not, but since i am replacing the entire front bumpre with the Boy Racer bumper, will I have any of the problems I have been reading about in other posts?
Old 07-23-2006, 05:03 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adian

Everywhere I have been reading it talks about the problems in converting the GT grill to fit the V-6, talks about shaving things down and snipping parts off and what not, but since i am replacing the entire front bumpre with the Boy Racer bumper, will I have any of the problems I have been reading about in other posts?
blinkage already answered that - No. The mounting holes for the GT and V6 are in the same positions and the Boy Racer kit uses the GT architecture. The most important differences between the GT and V6 are in grille height, verticle angle, and the transition will require some different styrofoam isolators and wheel well covers - which I assume will come as part of the Boy Racer kit.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Adian

Thanks for all the help guys...Just like ot make sure of all the specifics before dropping $1500 on a body kit