Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bucking Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:44 AM
justanotherrs

Default Bucking Bronco

Has anyone experienced the bucking bronco thing with your manual tranny car at low speed in 1st gear? This has been driving me nucking futs. It happens at partial throttle in first gear (already in gear no clutch involved) usually when slowing down or speeding up. The car will literally start bucking violently and about the only way to stop it is to put the clutch in and either shift into 2nd (when speed is really too low) or come to a complete stop and start over. I swear this is related to the e-throttle because it feels like the computer is fighting the gas pedal and the driver who's foot is on it.

I actually took it into the dealer last week and of course they had a hard time replicating it and sent it back saying that it was the normal operation of these cars. They called it driveline lash, but I think it has nothing to do with the driveline. Don't know why Ford doesn't have a TSB for this, seems like a simple reflash would fix it. Am I totally crazy or is this happening to other people. I've driven dozens of stick cars and never had this problem. Ideas? Anyone have luck with aftermarket tunes? Thanks

2005 Mustang - 5 speed
Old 07-24-2006, 03:03 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bucking Bronco

i have an auto and it does it....annoying at feels like crap
Old 07-24-2006, 03:49 AM
Backlash
2nd Gear Member

same
Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Goliath
1st Gear Member

Torque limiting software is choking your engine in 1st. Get a tune and all that goes away.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:53 AM
robc@pdpf.com
1st Gear Member

I had that problem when the car had low milage. Once I rolled 1500 it quit.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

nucking futs
LOL

I've owned three Cavaliers and they all did that. This one does, too. Not good if you're drinking coffee.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:59 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goliath

Torque limiting software is choking your engine in 1st. Get a tune and all that goes away.
+1

My 3.8L SN95 5 speed manual used to drive me crazy ..... until I got a tuner.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Unbound

Ha… shoot me down here but I think you’re all wrong. This has happened one time to me but once I figured out what happened it never did it again in a year’s time.
It’s the driver and car. These Mustangs have a lot of power, a lot, especially in first gear. When going real slow you barely touch the gas and bang, she takes off. It’s almost like an on off switch when going this slow. The car is not far off from stalling. The bucking happens when you touch the gas and your thrown back enough that your foot comes off the gas to throw you forward… back on the gas, which throws you back again, off the gas. Remember, the gas pedal at such a low speed is very touchy and with all that power you end up in a cycle… bucking. Having experienced this once (leaving work in front of everyone) I thought of what happened and being aware of this I never did it again.

Resolved: When going slow in first, push the clutch in if you let off the gas and your problem is solved. Do not just let off the gas or it will throw you forward along with your foot. I’ve been driving this car for over a year now and have never had this happen again.
JL
Old 07-24-2006, 07:55 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

It used to do that before the tune.. I actually liked it! I felt like she was telling me something along the lines of "I WANNA GO FAST!" *buck* "LETS GO FAST DAMMIT!"

And I fed her.. then I ended up on a sidewalk... [&:]