Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone running a tune on a 5 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 AM
QWKYNUF

Default Anyone running a tune on a 5 speed?

Is it worth it? Seems like for otherwise stock cars, most of the benefits come from tweaking the automatic transmission.

I don't worry too much about horsepower numbers, but I do like to get pushed back in my seat a little for my money.

QWKYNUF
Old 07-25-2006, 02:05 AM
Unbound

Default RE: Anyone running a tune on a 5 speed?

I've seen a the results of both and yes, it seems like the benefits are much higher for the auto trans.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:07 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

I got 10hp and 10tq on my guys SCT tune, but he did it on the dyno. I had JBA dual exhaust with an x pipe and an MMR intake. Those 2 mods put my 5 speed at 202hp and 232tq at the wheel. The tune gave me 10 ponys on each account which put it ta 213hp and 242tq at the wheel for my final numbers. A tune will benifit you but have at least an intake and exhaust. The reason you hear alot about autos is cause they can change the way the car shifts dramtically from stock. I've never rode in an auto stang but I hear they are a bit sluggish if not tuned. Us manual's have nothing to worry about on that account.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:07 AM
f.f.ford
1st Gear Member

I've also wondered about it it seems like most of the benefeits are for guys with auto trans.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:13 AM
Unbound

I'm thinking for the 5 speed for up grades the best would be a drop in K&N air filter, an American Thunder single exhaust and when funds become avalable, a blower. Anyone else think this for the sticks or am I wrong here?
Oh yeah, and LSD.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:15 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

The Auto mustangJust because of the shift points shift like your grandmas car lol. I don't even think you can do a burn out untill you get a tune with an auto but im not sure. Manual's will benifit.... just not on the shift feature of the tuner. That mod alone does wonders for the auto it self been hearing it almost a year now. LOL If you have an intake on your car you should get a tune. Your car is basically out of tune a bit. Not enough to throw the CEL but it is off a little. They (intakes) lean your car out pretty much with out a tune. A good dyno tune or canned tune will fix it right up.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:20 AM
Unbound

I see... you need the tune because of the higher air to gas flow. Right?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:20 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Get a K&N cold air intake at least man if your gunna spend $50 - $60 in a filter. The Cold air will make a difference in the higher rpms compared to the stock air box. You have the muffler right, American thunders are the way to go if you go flowmaster but i would get 2 and go duals have and h pipe or x pipe thrown in for sound in my opinon. But its not needed for performance. And if your really serious about the blower don't spend $200 on an intake just wait unless it will be a long while then ya might want to get one LOL
Old 07-25-2006, 02:51 AM
Unbound

First off, my Stang is completely stock. What your saying is do the cold air intake and tune after the blower? That is if I can afford a blower at this point and time.
Ok, I'm confused with the LSD. That's so both wheels spin which is what I want but a lot of people here are talking about changing the gears at the same time which will give you more torque in the lower end. I’m already spinning my (tire)s all the way through first gear and laying a patch in second. Also, first gear is such a short duration I can’t imagine it being even shorter. I’m in and out of first gear for a split second as it is. When even more power is added, what’s the point in lowering the gear ratio when with stock I'm burning up my tires as it is?

Old 07-25-2006, 03:33 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

"The Auto mustangJust because of the shift points shift like your grandmas car lol. I don't even think you can do a burn out untill you get a tune with an auto but im not sure."

I just thought i'd comment on this...Heck no we can't do burn outs on stock lol. I was disappointed because my '00 Stang could and that was auto but alot of ppl told me once you get the tune done them thangs will smoke so i'm looking forward to when i save the cash for it. And also, they do shift like grandma cars

Quick Reply: Anyone running a tune on a 5 speed?