Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why not just get a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:13 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Why not just get a GT?

ORIGINAL: Wicked Pony

Rygen, you are wiser than your years! +1 brotha
LOL, if only I was. Thank you.
Revolver
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Revolver

This question can be post in regards to nearly any car....

1. Why mod a 4 banger
2. Why mod an old small block V8?
3. Why mod a 5.0
4. Why mod an already fast car

There are 9 second edge V6's, 10 second edge V6's. Here is a post I put up on another board on this subject...

"The mod approach is not the approach for all, and turning the six banger into an asphalt ripping nightmare on 4 wheels is definitely more of a challenge.

So if you need the power, like your warrenty, stick with the GT. Or if you want a easier power plant to put you into the 12's and high 11's, stick with the GT. If 210HP is enough for you, a soft ride, with some pep and good looks, then the six is for you. All in all you will be very happy."
The issue here isn't modding the car. The issue is modding the car to look exactly like a GT. If you want to mod your v6 with a bodykit that has all these cool ground effects, unique exhaust pipes and chrome wheels that's fine. But some people mod their v6s to look just like a stock GT, right down to the very last detail.
LX200
4th Gear Member

For $1199, you can look like a GT

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services...99-xxxx-Cxxxx1
Old 07-27-2006, 02:15 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

This question can be post in regards to nearly any car....

1. Why mod a 4 banger
2. Why mod an old small block V8?
3. Why mod a 5.0
4. Why mod an already fast car

There are 9 second edge V6's, 10 second edge V6's. Here is a post I put up on another board on this subject...

"The mod approach is not the approach for all, and turning the six banger into an asphalt ripping nightmare on 4 wheels is definitely more of a challenge.

So if you need the power, like your warrenty, stick with the GT. Or if you want a easier power plant to put you into the 12's and high 11's, stick with the GT. If 210HP is enough for you, a soft ride, with some pep and good looks, then the six is for you. All in all you will be very happy."
The issue here isn't modding the car. The issue is modding the car to look exactly like a GT. If you want to mod your v6 with a bodykit that has all these cool ground effects, unique exhaust pipes and chrome wheels that's fine. But some people mod their v6s to look just like a stock GT, right down to the very last detail.
I think you go the answers you seek. This is going to get ugly. I would drop it.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:15 PM
BlueDevil
1st Gear Member

If you live in an area where people don't want mustangs, a GT might be cheap. Here in Southern Cal the difference is 6000 to 9000 dollars. A Premium GT is 31k--barganing down may bring you to 28 or 29. But a Premium V-6 is 21500. Also, don't forget that CA cars have to have CA emmissons. You can't buy a new car from another state and register it here in Cali. I have never found a similarly equipped GT that was 'only' 4k more than a V-6. They are a lot more than that.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:16 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

For $1199, you can look like a GT

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services...99-xxxx-Cxxxx1
you can get it for cheaper than that.

at any rate, i don't know anyone here who has changed their car with the intent of making a GT clone. Especially not putting GT badges on it.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:16 PM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

ANYONE WHO PUTS GT BADGES ON A V6 WILL BE FLAMED THIS IS YOUR ONE AND ONLY WARNING!!!!

Some guys one here do put boss and shelby parts on a 6 (SHELBY CS6 is a v6 BTW) The reason that alot of us go for the GT kit is 3 fold 1. its cheap 500 already painted is a great deal! 2. The GT bumpers look mean and I love dem fog lights. 3. Putting a Saleen or steeda kit on a v6 is just wrong!

BOTTOM LINE: You dont like it dont do it!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:17 PM
dram57
1st Gear Member

I disagree with spending a "considerable" amount to upgrade to a "GT" look.
I got a gt grill (big foglights) on ebay for $150, rally stripes for $60, two pony emblems for the sides, $30
rocker panel decals, $30. I decided to only do "cosmetic" upgrades at "reasonable" prices.
Gas is at $3 and my son is in catholic school. nuff said.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:19 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I pay 3k a year for 3 cars full coverage, the gt would put it close to 4. Gas is a big issue, no gt gets 22 city, plus the car payment would be more, so there is alot more cost that just a few bucks a year. yes, I spent more modding ( cause I bought 2 tuners and intakes, and some things that sucked) than the extra that would of gotten me a gt, but then I wouldn't of been able to spend that on the mods. And at the track when I beat a v8, they hate it when they find out I have a 6 with an automatic!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

ok...now I have to chime in. Everyone here knows modding as an on-going project. Just because it may look like a GT today does not mean it will look like a GT tomorrow. Tomorrow it could have the Cervinis's BOSS kit installed and then a GT emblem would be out of place. Modding changes the drivers perspective. My car is no longer a Deluxe V6 nor a GT. It's mine. Exactly what I want it to be today.