Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why not just get a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Revolver
I ♥ Acer

Default Why not just get a GT?

I'm reading through the threads today and I notice alot of you have modded your v6 mustangs to look like GTs. Well factoring in the considerable amount of money it takes to make a v6 look like a GT (dual exhaust, bumpers, grills, fog lights, wheels) you could've bought a GT for much, much cheaper. And you'd have the v8 engine. And don't say gas, we're only talking about two hundred dollars difference a year in gas from the v6 to the GT, and you guys are spending thousands in mods so you can definitley afford that
Old 07-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Why not just get a GT?

Well guess what, I still came out ahead with all of by mods by 3,000. An equally equipped GT would cost me around 30k. And I don't have $400 a month car payments or high insurance rates!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 PM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

WHAT??? it only take 500 to make a V6 look like a GT! Take into account that I got my 6 for 18500 and a GT would run me 25k just to start!! with the money I saved right there I could but on the appearnece package and a Power house turbo!! Not to mention the fact that my insurance would be 1k higher a year. and when its done the car is something that is strictly mine! The question is why didnt you buy a V6??

Old 07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: localgod11

WHAT??? it only take 500 to make a V6 look like a GT! Take into account that I got my 6 for 18500 and a GT would run me 25k just to start!! with the money I saved right there I could but on the appearnece package and a Power house turbo!! Not to mention the fact that my insurance would be 1k higher a year. and when its done the car is something that is strictly mine! The question is why didnt you buy a V6??

+1
Old 07-27-2006, 01:44 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Well I come from both sides of the fence, being a former 5.0 LX owner before this....

When I was shopping for a GT, the mark up was 5-8K easy. And in my area, it still is pretty high to this day, and dealers don't honor x plan where I live. What really hurt me than was insurance, cause at the time I was taking care of my neice (she was on my insurance, 19, etc) and putting her though college. Then she left, and freed up a good bit of mod money every month (and I went nuts with the modding1!!) .....that my wife just last month took control of. My GT bumpers were pretty much free, thanks to my parking garage smashing up the front one, got some Casco take offs for dirt cheap.

Now, reason why I still kept the six instead of driving 3 hours south for a cheap GT......

1. GT or V6, I would have spent the same on appearance and performance mods
2. The challenge!

I get more props at the track than the V8 guys do. I get a ton of props from the old scool racers that know what a SVO can really do, the guys that built up old LX's, etc. Of course I get the occasional snob, but having a fast 6 is harder to do. It's a pride thing now. Minus the mistakes I have made, I have just matched a equally equiped stock GT in price for my area and have a car that looks cool IMO, and is faster.

If the market and circumstances were different when I bought my Stella, she would have been a V8 (have to be honest here). But this is how it played out, and now I'm glad I got the little engine that could...and will. LOL. You should see the look on Camaro's faces after I smoke em at the track, or the rice that thought the new V6 is slow.

You will get a ton of responses to this. Either way, as long as it's a mustang, thats all that matters to me.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Lizzy
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Revolver

I'm reading through the threads today and I notice alot of you have modded your v6 mustangs to look like GTs. Well factoring in the considerable amount of money it takes to make a v6 look like a GT (dual exhaust, bumpers, grills, fog lights, wheels) you could've bought a GT for much, much cheaper. And you'd have the v8 engine. And don't say gas, we're only talking about two hundred dollars difference a year in gas from the v6 to the GT, and you guys are spending thousands in mods so you can definitley afford that

What is wrong with ya!!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Revolver
I ♥ Acer

30k for a GT? You guys are getting taken so bad... I'm sure the dealer appreciates that profit once he closes on his new beachfront properties. 2006 GTs are going for $24k right now at the dealers. I saw a black 2005 GT with 27k miles sell for $19,800 on ebay a week ago. If you do a bit of research, you can find the GT at a very reasonable price, just like with the v6... over $20k for a v6 and you got ripped off. If you believe the dealers story that they need to charge over MSRP, or charge extra because the car is in demand, it's a boldface lie used to increase their pockets.

I bought a v6 mustang 2005 with 21k miles, interior, shaker, and chrome wheel upgrade for $13,900. I don't plan to mod it really, or maybe mod it minorly because if I'm going to spend that money and hassle, I may as well just buy a better car.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:54 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I have kids that drive, so a gt was out of the question for both cost of the vehicle (which I would spend as much modding as the v6) and insurance. Plus I get 22mpg in the city, and at 3.15 a gallon thats important.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Revolver

::yawn::...weak sauce, no troll points for you!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:56 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Like I said, it all depends on where you live. For a lot of us, it was during the S197 boom time! Markup was insane. It's also a personality issue, some love modding thier cars, the feeling of knowing that they got every inch of performance they could out of their car. Others its about having stock power and a warrenty.

Um...what is a warrenty.

LOL.