Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Not a stellar night at the track, but it picked up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:18 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Default Not a stellar night at the track, but it picked up!

Went back to PIR (two night in a row... is the addiction getting bad?) for some quarter mile drags. It was a little warmer tonight and I seemed to be having traction problems all night. Fazm, PuertoRico... no worries... ya still have top NA honors... for now hehe [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

I just couldn't duplicate my 1/8 mile times from last night... stuck in the 9.4's in the 1/8 and in the 14.7's in the 1/4.

First run of the night was the best:
R/T .147, 60' 2.165, 1/8 9.412 @ 74.63 MPH, 1/4 14.716 @ 91.82 MPH

So, I was a little dissappointed since when bracket racing last night I was hitting pretty darn consistent 9.3x's in the 1/8.

My 2nd run I went up against a beautiful 67 Fastback... he had a 14.5x compared to my 14.7x. On this run, we were both flagged for noise. After 10 pm they don't let cars over 92db run so they can stay nicey nicey with the neighborhood. The next run I ran solo and the noise flag was removed.

My last pass was the worst, not leaving nearly enough time for cool down as the track was closing soon... I just wanted to squeeze in one last run. But, when picking up the time-slip, the lass told me to head up to the 2nd floor of the tower. I asked her why and she didn't know.

So, my wife met up with me and we headed upstairs. I told them that I was sent up there and they asked my name.

They said, you were runner up in the Alumni Fast bracket racing division last night... nice job!

So, I don't normally pick up strangers, but I brought this little honey home...
Old 07-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

Default RE: Not a stellar night at the track, but it picked up!

why does it say high school drags?'

and how is your traction?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:27 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ride Of The Month

why does it say high school drags?'

and how is your traction?
Good runs, congrats on the runner up. At what rpm are you launching?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

yeah..that was my next question...how hard will the stock trans let you launch?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:14 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

When I was NA with bolt ons, with the Pneros I was able to launch at 1900, sometimes 2K. With drag radials, I'm able to get up to 2100 before the tires or brakes give.

With juice, I tried once launching at 2k, and right off the line the 100 shot kicked in and I went right for the wall. Scared the living **** out of me. So 1800 was my sweet spot with the juice.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

i assume that youve been on a dyno? where is your car making the bulk of its power? mine is something like 3300-6300, so i went with a 3300 stall...
Old 07-30-2006, 02:22 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ride Of The Month

i assume that youve been on a dyno? where is your car making the bulk of its power? mine is something like 3300-6300, so i went with a 3300 stall...
Yea, been on a dyno a lot in all its various configurations. My car makes full boost at 2900 with the turbo. I'm looking to get a stall at 3000/3100 or something around there.

As for hamidlmt, I think drag radials would be a good next step.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

get some nitto drags radials 555r ..my car doesnt even spin the tires in the rain know ..no kidding ...peeling out (which i enjoyed so much )is a thing of the past for me. They were 160 each mounted and balanced 275/40 r17 same as the ones Fazm is using . You wont even have to heat em up at the track just stage, powerbrake and go . COngrats on the Trophy ..i have been going to the track for a good 6 yers now and i have never won anything, way to go .
Old 07-30-2006, 04:13 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ROTM: It was the annual high school drag night when they let high school kids race, plus alumni (I'm pretty sure I graduated LOL!). I didn't realize it was a special event when I went... just showed up for some fun times and got sucked in.

Traction with the P-neros and Doug's race tune is pretty squeeling off the line.... moreso that Id like. I'm powerbraking around 1500-2000 rpm's.... but, maybe I'm giving it too much gas too fast when releasing the brake.

I haven't been on a dyno in awhile.... just to recalibrate my speedo after the gear install. Showed me hp/tq, but my tune wasn't right at the time either. I was using Doug's first C&L tune, which he later had to correct for autos. I was right around 190 rwhp on a Mustang dyno. I really should go back and get a real tune, but am feeling sort of cheap since I may be going FI soon and would be getting a full tune then. I have an updated tune from Doug and the car feels much stronger.

Rygen, Puerto Rico... I didn't realize drag radials weren't terribly expensive. Do you just need 2? And, do you guys drive with them on to the track and back? Or, put them on there?

If I do just need 2, what's a good size to pair them up with the 17" Pirelli's up front?

Whew... lots to learn!

Well, I've done no suspension mods to far... CHE fixed UCA/LCA pack ordered last night! btw... for anyone interested, shipping directly from CHE is over $20 cheaper than ordering the exact same suspension pack from Powerhouse.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

you only need two DRs...but im not a fan, nor an advocate of nittos...i can appreciate that some guys have good luck with them, but nittos are to drag radials what FWD is to drag racing...they get the job done, but there are better ways to go about things...you will get lots of advice on tires, but i stand by my hoosiers...they are similar in price, and with a 3700lb car, i was pulling 1.6X short times.

i always recommend running 15" DRs on a seperate set of rims, as 15" DRs are more plentiful than say, a 17 inch tire. but for some people, swapping rims isnt an option...something to keep in mind, if youre going to daily-drive DRs, they are going to wear fast..at least the hoosiers do.

Quick Reply: Not a stellar night at the track, but it picked up!