Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First Kill...sort of...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:51 PM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Default First Kill...sort of...

My best friend has either an 05 or 06 Acura TL that's rated at 270 HP. Not sure about the torque though. Anyway, we're leaving church yesterday and are on the interstate going about 75 mph. He pulls along side and points at the open road in front of us indicating he wants to have a go at it. He's got three in his car (himself, wife, teen son) I've got three in my car (me, wife, teen daughter), so I nod that I'm game. Well, I think he's going to drop his hand or give a 3 countdown with his fingers, but instead he just punches it and gets the jump on me. Once I realize what he's done I punch it and start gaining on him, quite a bit at first, but then at a slower, yet steady pace. At around 95 or so I catch and nose in front of him, and am now starting to pull away. At this point I let off and slow back down to cruising speed. At the restaurant (we we're meeting up for lunch) he said he was surprised that he couldn't keep up with me and explained that he actually punched it twice because he didn't think I was interested and let off until he saw me start gaining on him then he hit it again. His older son who met us at the restaurant, but didn't witness the contest, said there was no way his Dad's car couldn't beat mine. I told him to be fair we should go from a dead stop. It was then that my friend asked if I got the tuning thing I ordered (the X-Cal 2). I confessesd I did and had installed the 87 tune. My friend noted that it obviously made a difference. His older som claimed that was cheating. I reminded him his Dad has a pumped up premium rice sedan making 270 HP (although C/D or Automobile mag tested this car and only got 259 HP out of it), and that my car has a meager 210 HP. "But what about the mods," he wants to know. "Okay," I say. "Somewhere around 240 to 245 HP, which is still less than either the advertised or revised HP numbers for the Acura." Needless to say the son wants us to go again. Neither of us really care either way. He's got a good car. I've got a good car, but it sure felt good catching up to then starting to pull away from him even though he got the jump on me. Chalk one up for the Mustang!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:59 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default RE: First Kill...sort of...

Wooooooooooow... first of all, the 04 TLs were rated at 260HP, but they were nailed for fluffling their numbers... so Acura lowered it down to a realistic 258HP/233 ft-lbs in 05.

But I'm truly amazed that you reeled em in then bucketed him. Nice kill.

Lastly, I hope you have a flame proof jacket. Street racing, especially when both families are in the car might not bode so well with some members here. [>:]
Old 07-31-2006, 05:10 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

Wooooooooooow... first of all, the 04 TLs were rated at 260HP, but they were nailed for fluffling their numbers... so Acura lowered it down to a realistic 258HP/233 ft-lbs in 05.

Lastly, I hope you have a flame proof jacket. Street racing, especially when both families are in the car might not bode so well with some members here. [>:]

seriously, with your family??
Old 07-31-2006, 05:12 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

With your family - not a good move!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:14 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOLDSHORT

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

seriously, with your family??

Yeah, my mom would nag my ears off if I go 1MPH over the limit... I wouldn't test her beyond that. My dad on the other hand, he'll be in for some good times, but not when I'm driving.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Backlash
2nd Gear Member

first of all, he's an adult, and i am sure he wouldnt have done it if he knew there was risk, if any at all. so i assume, just like he said the road was clear of everything. dont bust his chops.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Kobra

first of all, he's an adult, and i am sure he wouldnt have done it if he knew there was risk, if any at all. so i assume, just like he said the road was clear of everything. dont bust his chops.
he is an adult but going 95mph with your family is a little too dangerous, and accidents do happen.
anywhays nice kill NewStangDude! i do hope next time you race is with out your family, trust me you will enjoy it more
plus your car will feel lighther.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Backlash
2nd Gear Member

i'm not saying what he did was the BEST thing to do, i'm just saying get off his ****ing ***.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:57 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

In all seriousness he was only going 95 on the interstate.. around here 80-90 is the norm.. well what people drive at least. 95 isn't much more. Its not like they were racing on some side street or something.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:09 PM
Backlash
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joshetc

In all seriousness he was only going 95 on the interstate.. around here 80-90 is the norm.. well what people drive at least. 95 isn't much more. Its not like they were racing on some side street or something.
thank you