Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.0L V6 being replaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:43 AM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.0L V6 being replaced

ORIGINAL: will_c

guys we've gotta think about this logically....

ford just spent QUADRILLIONS redesigning the Mustang and they completely changed the V6's reputation with the upgrades they've made to it.
I SERIOUSLY doubt that they would use the brand new 4.0 L block for 2-3 release years and then out of nowhere drop back down to a 3.5, even if its a better built engine with higher output...

lets face it, Ford can sometimes be pretty cheap... (interior plastics, other materials used, etc.), so i dont think they would waste the money to drop these new blocks in a car that is already selling like WEED AT A RAP CONCERT...
if it aint broke dont fix it... in a nutshell, Ford wont spend more money if they dont have to, period.

i see them tweaking the 4.0 for a few years to get more and more power out of it just to keep them selling, and then maybe down the road changing to a different engine, but not NEXT year.

i could be completely off base here, but that's just how i think about it.
I agree
Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 AM
chuckcsf
2nd Gear Member

yeah Ford never mentioned anything about this enging going into a mustang.

"The new, 265-horsepower 3.5-liter engine will power one in five of the company's North American vehicles by the end of the decade. The Duratec 35 debuts in the new Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover utility vehicles and the Lincoln MKZ sedan later this year. "

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=23482

[IMG]local://upfiles/43598/09196F4D83694BFB986A71734E6B8A1B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-01-2006, 05:09 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

well on on ehand that makes sense but at the same time if they are going to replace all the other 4.0l with this engine and this 4.0 isnt new its from one of the suvs so only makin git for the mustang would make the production cost more raising the price of the stang so changing it to the 3.5l would be logical to keep the costs down

added if o_O
Old 08-01-2006, 01:51 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

well on on ehand that makes sense but at the same time if they are going to replace all the other 4.0l with this engine and this 4.0 isnt new its from one of the suvs so only makin git for the mustang would make the production cost more raising the price of the stang so changing it to the 3.5l would be logical to keep the costs down

added if o_O
true... however, if that engine is going to be put in only those cars, it would cost more to try to re-vamp all other 4.0's as well...

if they do anything with this new engine, they'll probably test it out in those vehicles for a few years to see what kind of results and feedback/response they get... then they'll probably consider moving all of the V6's to that engine... but until then i dont see Ford replacing 3/4 of its line of vehicles' engines.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:55 PM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

i have no clue why they would drop the 4.0 that makes no sence to me
why dont they tune and tweak the 4.0 in the up comming years
DOHC 4.0 maybe? that would be sick
or maybe an aluminum 4.5 stroker?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:03 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fitbikeco

i have no clue why they would drop the 4.0 that makes no sence to me
why dont they tune and tweak the 4.0 in the up comming years
DOHC 4.0 maybe? that would be sick
or maybe an aluminum 4.5 stroker?

^^ that they will more than likely do... the whole DOHC 4.0 i doubt, and 4.5 stroker is highly unlikely since the BRAND NEW V8 is only 4.6L...

i really wish they would just hop up the v6 too, but that's just not how this car is marketed... the people on these mustang forums are a rare breed of owner... we make up probably 15% of the mustang owners in the US (pulled that % out of my a$$)

the rest of those in the market for a V6 mustang aren't looking for something to smoke everything on the road... that's why Ford has the V8 (GT)... the V6 will never be marketed as Ford's performance Mustang... it'll be the quick, but comfortable to drive vehicle... unless the v8 gets dropped in the future (highly unlikely until like 2090)
Old 08-01-2006, 02:11 PM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

ya i guess we have all lost touch of the whole v6 is not a performance car
to us it is but to everyone else its a great looking car that is not to harsh in acceleration or gas
haha the 4.0 DOHC and alum. stroker were jokes
i wish that an aftermarket company would make DOHC heads for our cars
would that even work? im sure they can find a way 24 valves baby
Old 08-01-2006, 06:02 PM
powerProdigy
2nd Gear Member

why dont they just give us a v6 version of the 3 valve, about 260 fwhp (our v6's displacement multiplied by the mustnag gt's hp per litre) Has anyone built a n/a motor yet? ported heads + cams????
Old 08-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

why did you post identical threads in two different forums???

Post *****....
Old 08-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

The 4.0 is getting discontinued, they wont keep it just for one car. Also Ford has already started replacing ALL their engines with the DOHC Duratec engines. And this engine has been around for many years, and the BRAND NEW V8 came from the Ford Explorer.

And I posted the other one in OT asking the GT owners opinions on it since none of them come in here.

Quick Reply: 4.0L V6 being replaced