Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

need help with leather seat stain

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:29 PM
v6stanggoddess
1st Gear Member

Default need help with leather seat stain

My friend was riding in my car and she puts grease in her hair. Have no idea what it is but some spots i=on the leather are discolored. Does anyone know of any cleaning agent? I heard rubbing alcholhol or cornstarch takes out anything. Anyone know of anything else?

THANKS!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: need help with leather seat stain

Meguiar's leather cleaner and conditioner always worked well for me...
I dont know about hair grease though.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:43 PM
mister ed
1st Gear Member

We have a leather sectional sofa that came with a leather care kit. In that kit was a bottle of stain remover, along with cleaner and conditioner. You can get these kits from a furniture store that sells leather sofas or off the net, thats where I got my last kit from.
Its much cheaper off the net. Just do a google on leather care, you'll find sites that sell leather care kits. You REALLY have to be careful with leather and cleaners and only use a cleaner that is meant for the grade of leather your working with.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:53 PM
mister ed
1st Gear Member

Here is one link for leather care and leather care products...hope it helps.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/
Old 08-03-2006, 12:34 AM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

What color are your seats? I am afraid I may have some bad news for you, oil based stains are nearly impossible to get out of leather. There are two products I know of that may help you, the first is lexol cleaner. Lexol is probably the best leather product out there, it nourishes as well asl cleans. I doubt it will work though. The second is called lincoln ez cleaner. Get a nylon brush, and gently rub the cleaner into the leather, and quickly wipe with a wet cloth, then dry with a dry cloth. Lincoln cleaner s supposed to be guaranteed for any leather or cloth surface, it's very mild, and shouldn't discolor your seats. As with any cleaning product though, there is a chance for discoloration. Try it on a spot that's hard to see.

Now, if none of that works (as I suppose it won't, sorry to be a pessimist but i work with leather every day, and oil based stuff never comes out) you can try a shoe polish that's the same color as your seat and try to cover it. This probably won't work either if your seats are light in color. Polish will also come off on your clothing if you don't buff it out enough, and polish will more than likely darken your leather a little. If your seats are dark, you can try Fiebings leather dye. It comes in all sorts of colors. You need to use color preparer or deglazing fluid to prepare your seat for dye (read further along for more info)

Your best option if your seats are gray like mine is probably going to be a leather spray dye. You have to treat the surface to be dyed first, using a color preparer, or deglazing fluid. THIS WILL STRIP THE PIGMENT OUT OF YOUR LEATHER. Be careful, make a towel DAMP with this solution, and lightly rub it into your seat, just hit it enough to prepare the surface for the dye. On a calm day, with your doors open, you might even want to mask the rest of the car off (cardboard box maybe?) lightly spray the dye on the spot to be matched, and blend it in as best you can. Use VERY LIGHT COATS. I can not stress enough, 4 light coats are TONS better than 1 heavy coat. This stuff is like spray paint, it will run and look terrible if not used properly.

Chances are, you will hate how the spray dye looks. I get people all the time asking me to dye their shoes, and when they get them back, no matter how much I warn them, they don't like the spray dye. It does not have the same texture or finish that leather naturally has. it's almost plastic, or has a gloss that does not look natural.

Question is, how bad are the stains. Can you stand living with them? Tryng to dye them is risky at best. Post a pic and I would be happy to look at it and give you any further advice.

Best of luck. Kill your friend.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:38 AM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

Oh, call me crazy, but also you could find out what kind of hair grease she uses, and then rub it all over your seats, followed by a good leather conditioner, at least they would all be the same color.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:55 AM
mister ed
1st Gear Member

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Prod...uctid=LMDEG300

You can try the above product. I use Leather Master products on my sofa and its really good stuff, stuffs not cheap, but its good. Never used their degreaser. Or you can do what pete said and just rub her hair grease all over so the stain is even..
Old 08-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Backlash
2nd Gear Member

she black? just wondering b/c black ppl put stuff in their hair to lay it down.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:31 AM
v6stanggoddess
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Backlash

she black? just wondering b/c black ppl put stuff in their hair to lay it down.

Yeah she is....thanks for all the help guys. I hope it is not permanent. She feels really bad but I think she is more embarassed so I am not making a big deal out of it. I just want it OUT!!!