Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I'm Concerned

Old 08-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Aurelius

Default I'm Concerned

I changed the oil two days ago for the first time. I had 796 miles on the car when I did so. The knuckleheads at the service center put what I asked for in, which was Mobil 1 Synthetic, but they put in 5w20 instead of 5w30. I drove about 20 miles before I realized their mistake last night. Suffice it to say I'm going back first thing and they are fixing it. Is it likely that the motor sustained any damage?

Yeah, I'm a worrier. I have wanted a Mustang for years. I'll be damned if anyone is going to screw it up for me.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:51 PM
LiquidLenny
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I'm Concerned

They did good. Do you live in the Artic? The 5W30 is for colder weather. [sm=icon_rtfm.gif]
Old 08-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Aurelius

Actually I live in Louisiana.

So should I leave the 5w20 in the engine? I'm not a total car newbie (I have turned wrenches helping a friend do a motor swap) but close enough.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:30 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Yes leave it in. It should run better than before, considering you live in a warm climate.

No worries dude, we were all newbies at some point.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

I thought you were supposed to run the engine for 3,000 miles or so before switching to synthetic?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:32 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Not sure about the switch to synthetic, but I do know that the V6 manual calls for 5W-30. Not that 5W-20 should ruin your car, but in the event that you need a major (expensive) warranty situation resolved, there is the slight possiblity that your oil could be tested before they (Ford) spend a certain amount of $$$ on a warranty job. Sure, that might be paranoid, but I would use that very fact and go back asking them to flush your oil and re-fill it to avoid voiding your warranty. That's the real potential harm, not so much engine damage.

EDIT: I'm a risk manager... I'm paid to be paranoid.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:28 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

your oil will be fine, dont worry, as for as the wrong weight there would have to be some EXTREME circumstances for Ford to not honor a warranty, the 5w30 is a recommendation for optimum performance, the main thing is to have the SAE standard certification, which all automotive oils have, as for as noobie status, hang out here and ask your questions, someone will help, then someday you will help someone else.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Aurelius

I went down the route of considering my warranty. I had them flush and switch to 5w30. They were apologetic in the extreme and replaced the oil with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30. I read around and never saw anyone mentioning a problem with switching to synthetic before 3000 miles. The general concensus was that the factory blend needed to be in the engine for at least 500 miles, which it was. I changed out at 796. I'll change the oil again at 1300 or so and then again at 5000. I wanted to make sure the oil was clean and free of metal flakes and such from the break-in period.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:15 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

when comparing both 5w30 and 5w20 non synthetic... 5w20 carries more synthetic properties... when it boils down to it, your motor will be perfectly fine.. although 5w30 is of a thiner oil. but i live in canada and everyother motor takes 5w20 anyways, and we see below 40 weather often in the winter
Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

A. Thats why I do my own oil changes (past 30 years). I have heard stories about these oil change places. In some instances the kids working there didnt even tighten the drain bolt and ruined engines were the result. Wrong Filters, wrong oil etc. I do it myself in my garage with the music going and a cold one. Its kind of fun and I'm sure of what is going into my investment. My Stang is my pride and joy; I'll be damned if I have some idiots service it!!

B. You should not put full synthetic until at least 5,000 miles preferrably 10,000. I have researched this extensively and switched my other car and truck to Amsoil. They also make the best Oil Filters bar none, you may want to read about them on independant studies on the web. My two cents.
Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm Concerned