Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What type of gas do you put in your sixxer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:49 PM
XtacY
1st Gear Member

Default What type of gas do you put in your sixxer?

Old habits die hard.. I'm still pumping 87 unleaded into my 05 stang. I've used 87 my entire life, from my 90 lumina, to 98 v6 stang, to now. Especially with gas prices the way they are... premium fuel is as much as 30 cents higher per gallon! If you are using premium fuel, why? Really I heard it doesn't make much of a difference what you use, except if you use 87, you should put the $1 fuel cleaner every gas station sells into your car every few months or so.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What type of gas do you put in your sixxer?

Unless you have a tune.

Regular runs BEST in your car, running premium or anything of that sort is a waste.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:56 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

91 Octane.

Playboy, were you in San Dimas maybe 2 hours ago?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:57 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

tuned for 89, so thats what i fill
Old 08-08-2006, 08:48 PM
w.nickelson
1st Gear Member

I was putting in 93 until it jumped to over $3 a gallon, now it's 87 for Enyo.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:53 PM
rfruscel
1st Gear Member

87 for my stock stang.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

91 with my tune.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Pimpin Pony
2nd Gear Member

Well normally I would have told you 87oct in a new stang is all you need unless you have a special tune and it really does run just fine with it, but a couple of weeks ago after I got done golfing with a couple of friends I decided to race one of my friends on the way home... he has the last body style cavilier (2004 I think), but he has a racing chip, cold air intake, an exhaust system, and some stuff to his suspention to help control torque steer and some other stuff that I cant remember right now. His cavilier is the one with the bigger ecotech engine in it too and the car is actually pretty quick... his cousin has an 84 vet that he can beat off the line to about 60 or 70... but anyway I was in my car and one of my other friends was in my car and I had the top down with the traction control off, O/D off, and the air off (but I still had the fan on) and I had two sets of golf clubs in my car and some other crap and a full tank of 87.... I dont have any mods to my car, it is completly stock. We took off and we both had a pretty good start... he took off just the slightest bit before me because he was doing the count down but anyway by the time we hit 60mph he was in front of me enough that he could safely pull into my lane (about 1.5-2 car lenghths) I felt bad about getting beat, but I kinda expected to get beat because I had rode in his cav before and like I said.... its quick... but anyway a few days ago just me and him went golfing and we decided to race again on the way home... this time I had a little less than a quarter tank of 93 in the car and it was only me in the car and I put the top up and turned the air and the fan off as well as the traction control and the O/D... well the first race I beat him by a bumper up to about 70 and after that the stang just pulls away and leaves him behind (the stang started gaining after about 70 the last time too except I had to catch up to him first so I didnt pass him till about 90 the last time) and we decided to run them again and this time he got a little jump on me on the take off, but my front bumper stayed even with his front tire or in front of it the whole time and then I pulled away from him at about 70 again (after this race I noticed that I had accidently turned the O/D back on for this race)... now was it more of the 93oct over the 87oct, the decreased weight from not having the extra passenger, only one set of golf clubs, the quarter tank of gas instead of the full tank, or the decreased drag from the top being up? I dont know.... all I know is that I havent put 87 in it since
Old 08-08-2006, 09:47 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

My car is tuned for 93 and has been since I bought my xcal2.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

91 Octane.

Playboy, were you in San Dimas maybe 2 hours ago?
Negative sir.

I buy 87Regular for my car now, but I ordered my X-Cal+CAI so I'll be jumping to 91.

Quick Reply: What type of gas do you put in your sixxer?