Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I fixed an 88 GT today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:51 PM
davelong667
I ♥ Acer

Default I fixed an 88 GT today!!!

I know this has nothing to do with my 06 sixer... But my friend at work has had a black 88 gt sitting at his house for about a year, because it would not start, it would turn and turn and turn over, and never fire up, he took it to a shop a year ago and spent $500 and it ran for a day and then died again. The shop put in a new timing chain and crap.... I climbed under the stang and had him crank it over, sure enough, the fuel pump didnt cycle. I replaced it and the fuel filter and it fired right up, VROOOOOM. I even fixed his AC for him. After it was all done he drove it for the first time in a year and came back smiling from ear to ear because it ran CORRECTLY for once. He asked how much he owed, and I told him he owed nothing. I take pride in making broken stangs gallop again, the fact that his stang is back on the road again and turning heads is payment enough for me. After that I let him drive my 06, he said it seemd to have a tad more power than his, not from a stop, but on up to 3rd and fourth he said just seemed more powerful to him. I reminded him that his car will never be as cool as my s197, I love my baby!!! What a good day it has been! He Called me this evening, he took the gt on a 170 mile trip to his moms house and it and the AC ran perfect he said.

06 V6 Premium
5 spd
GTtake off muffler
Black Clearcoat
Old 08-11-2006, 12:23 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I fixed an 88 GT today!!!

Good for you man. It always feels good when you fix something and it actually works. For me, those times are few and far between.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Unbound

Just curious as to what line of work your in?
If it dosn't involve trouble shooting you might wana re-think your curent direction in life.
Thumbs up man. Keep 'em rollin!
JL
Old 08-11-2006, 01:09 AM
davelong667
I ♥ Acer

Well, I spent 7-8 years doing mechanic work for a living, but it is so rushed, and your pay is based on what a particular job takes to do. its like this... the shop manual says it takes 4 hours to change out struts on a car, so you as the mechanic will get.... 4 hours of pay. If you can do the job in 2 hours, you still get..... 4 hours of pay, if it takes you 12 hours..... you still get...... 4 hours of pay, no more, no less.
If you run into a car that being a total pain, you get ripped off...lol because it takes too long. rush rush rush..... And I had enough of fixing cars every single day. I currently work in law enforcement, a Deputy for my county's Sheriff's Dept. On the side I fix cars for MOD MONEY!!!!!! YAAAAYYYY!!!! I try not to charge friends much, and if my friend has a stang, i usually do it for free. But for strangers with gay cars, like a YARIS, or a PRELUDE,,,lol I charge a little more. I am saving up for that Demolet package from Bamachips. You wonder, since I am a cop, am i all strict about speeding, NO WAY, I even find myself doing some road racing sometimes. Anyways, cant wait till my next mod.... and the next, and the next....... and then the next....lol
Old 08-11-2006, 02:22 AM
chuckcsf
2nd Gear Member

Do you street race on your cop car? That would be too funny if you stop at a light and rev up and try to get the car beside you to race!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:44 AM
davelong667
I ♥ Acer

Nope, dont do none of that. There is a thing called "law suit" that makes it a bad move to race in a patrol car. Im sure someone somewhere wold see that and go "Hey, hes a cop, he cant do that, thats unbecoming of a police officer, im suing!!!" People love to find ways to sue. Thats all I here anymore "You cant stip search me, Ill SUE!!!" or "I didnt have any marijuana in my car, it isnt mine, its my friends, and im calling my attorney and im suing you!!!" I just remind them that they pay for their attorneys by the hour, and mine is on payroll and works year round (County Attorney), youll run out of money before the county does. hehehe
But anyways, I drove that 88 GT today and it had lots of pulling power and such, but afer 3k rpm, it kinda whimped out, 3K is where my 4.0 starts really pumping out the power, and on up to 4500 to 5K. I must say, I enjoy driving my 06 ALOT more that that 88 Gt.
Especially when i came to the strret I needed to turn on, I almost missed the turn because I expected it to stop just as quick as my 06. Not even close. the brakes are in good shape and all, they just SUCK!! My 06 can stop pretty darn quick. My other buddy at work says I need to get brembo brakes on my 06, but what the hell for? my stock brakes make even him jealous, just as they are, he has a 98 gt, and even he says my brakes are 100% better than his.