Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Standard kills an automatic!

Old 08-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Unbound

Default Standard kills an automatic!

Ok, I’ve got a bone stock… and I mean bone stock, 2005 4 liter standard transmission Mustang that’s 1 & 1/2 years old. Yesterday, my girlfriend I, her son and his girlfriend went to my girlfriends work picnic.
On the way back I stopped in the middle of a street (with no traffic) to see if I could still burn rubber with the added weight from the two extra passengers in the back. I had the same results as when I’m alone… burned rubber all the way through 1st gear and laid a patch when I slammed it into 2 nd which I let off immediately from the screams coming from the back seat and for fear of getting a smack up side the head from the passenger. LOL
I’ve been reading of automatics that have trouble or can barely squawk the tires, stock that is.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:16 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Standard kills an automatic!

it is super easy to burn rubber if you have the ***** (and no brains) to do a neutral drop
Old 08-13-2006, 08:21 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

when mine was stock it would never do a neutral drop for some reason. it would just go back down to like 1200 rpm and then go again
Old 08-13-2006, 08:23 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

See my avatar pic? It's not hard to make some smoke with a stock automatic.. .and no neutral drops. (duh.)

[IMG]local://upfiles/40574/7DFA1267FBEA4F49AFD249C7226E53ED.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/40574/781004658DC84BD98002AC32D6CBD349.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Unbound

Ouch! I did that with an automatic transmission Firebird I had and ended up with… no transmission, clunk clunk clunk, that was one of the more embarrassing moments of my life. LOL

But get this, I don’t even rev the engine in my little 05 6cyl. I just step on the gas as I let out the clutch and lay rubber right up and into second gear! Is this abnormal?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:35 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

no, its normal.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:37 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Unbound

Ouch! I did that with an automatic transmission Firebird I had and ended up with… no transmission, clunk clunk clunk, that was one of the more embarrassing moments of my life. LOL

But get this, I don’t even rev the engine in my little 05 6cyl. I just step on the gas as I let out the clutch and lay rubber right up and into second gear! Is this abnormal?
The stock tires don't provide the best traction.. especially if they're worn a little.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Unbound

Sorry AmericanICON, I don’t mean to be “duh” or to insult the automatic transmission guys, it’s just I’ve been reading (and watching videos) on the auto transmission that owners barely get a squawk from their 4L.
Just trying to understand.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:46 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Unbound

Sorry AmericanICON, I don’t mean to be “duh” or to insult the automatic transmission guys, it’s just I’ve been reading (and watching videos) on the auto transmission that owners barely get a squawk from their 4L.
Just trying to understand.
Oh no, man! I didn't mean "duh" to you! Sorry for the misunderstanding! I meant "duh" to whoever does neutral drops. That's about the dumbest move a guy could make!
You're right.. it's not easy to get a scratch from the stock auto, but there's ways to get it done.. haha..
Old 08-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Unbound

Yes, my tires are stock but have a lot of tread. Although... with a wider set of tires I would get more contact with the road which would mean…
1) Less burning rubber and
2) Quicker launches

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Standard kills an automatic!