Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:34 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Default the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Well I finally moved up to the 21st century. Ordered, received, and installed a C&L cai/SCT tuner from Fred at Evolution, and a Magnaflow axle-back from Baxter's.

First of all, have to give a big thumb's up to Fred and Evolution for the fantastic service, information, and prompt delivery. Even with a train derailment somewhere in between Pennsylvania and Oregon, I still got my order on the day it was promised and intact. Thank you, Sir and you will have my business in the future as well as anyone I can refer to you.

The Good:

I went with the 89 tune from Evolution, since that is what I normally run in the car. Downloading the tune went down as smooth as a aged bourbon. The C&L intake took about 15 minutes to install, as soon as we figured out where everything went. At first, I was a little skeptical about what to expect from these upgrades. But after reading all the posts in here, I figured everyone couldn't be yanking my chain, and you weren't. The difference is like night and day. No more throttle lag, the shifts are smooth and consistent, and yes, you can feel the difference in the seat of your pants, too. No, it's still not a V8, but I knew it wouldn't be with just these mods. But it is 110% better than the stock performance.

The Bad:

About the only thing we had probs with was changing the muffler. I backed the car up onto my ramps, chocked the wheels, handbrake on, can't be too careful, specially living on a hill. We had lots of room to operate, and lots of folk willing to operate. I think that was one of the probs. Too many hands. But getting the stock muffler off is easier if you unbolt ALL the hangers, clamp, and counter weight. Then you can slide the muffler out. Installing the Magnaflow was just the opposite steps. We didn't put the counter weight back on, as there isn't anywhere to mount it on the Magnaflow. But the hangers were in the same stock position, so we just put the stock hangers on the new muffler first, slid the pipes back together w/ the new clamp, and bolted it all back up. We did have to use the bolt, spacers, and nut from the stock muffler, only because I didn't have the right deep socket to use the new one. [:@] But I'm going to have a muffler shop tack weld it in tomorrow, so no prob there. I was getting a little vibration noise coming from under the car, but I think that was just the pipe connection slipping maybe? Hopefully the weld clears that up.

The UGLY:

After getting it all installed, took the wife and kid out to dinner for his 18th birthday. Of course we took the pony After all, he helped quite a bit. I parked the car away from most of the other cars in the lot when we got there, better safe than sorry. But when we came out after dinner, my wife pointed out a scratch over her door handle. Not too bad, at first sight. But then it got UGLY. Some A$$hole had walked down the side of the car with a KEY!!!![:@] IF I had caught them in the act, I don't know what would have happened but it would not have been pretty. So we spent the last 4 hours this afternoon, washing, polishing, and waxing with the 3 step Meguiar's (cleaner, polisher, and carnuba). I got most of the scratch out, but it's still there. It doesn't look like they got down to the metal anywhere, but it is pretty deep into the clear coat. So I'll stop off at a detail shop tomorrow and see if they can do anything. I even used my buffer to try to blend it in, and put on a pretty thick coat of carnuba paste wax. But it's still there.

But on the bright side of things, the mods work perfectly. The car sounds great, a little loud at slow speed under load (like climbing the hills around the house here), but at cruising speeds, it's about as loud as the stock Pony muffler. But where it gets fun, kick it into passing gear and listen to the air suck into the intake, and the nice purr of the Magnaflow as you get pressed into the back of your seat. That is how FORD should have made it from the start. But, $565 for the combo and $229 for the muffler, and I'm smiling even with that scratch [sm=smiley24.gif] Oh well, won't be the last. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Slo
Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Congrats on the new mods and great write-up! Sorry to hear about the vandalism. I've had previous cars vandalized before and it's such a helpless, sickening feeling. I'm glad the enjoyment of your new toys is overshadowing the bad!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:55 PM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Some mild modifications and, yes, you get what you should have gotten from Ford when you bought it. Amazing isn't it?

And what is it with some people? Some a$$wipe with a key comes along and runs it down your car. For what? Jealousy? I'd love to catch somebody doing that to my car. Hated to read that part, but the rest was good. Congrats!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:32 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Well, I guess no matter what you try to do, there will always be someone who for whatever reason has a bug up his a$$ and will do something stupid like key your car, or BB gun to the windows, or eggs, etc.

Just once though, I'd like to be close by when they do. Just to be able to have the same morbid satisfaction of doing unto them, as they did unto my car [sm=smiley15.gif] But then I'd feel bad afterwards....for a second or two j/k

Anyways, for the next round of mods, (as soon as I fill the piggybank up again), I'll be looking at 3.73 and LSD rear end (any suggestions to which?), and then maybe start on body mods (Rousch hood scoop, side scoops, chin spoiler) I don't want to get too crazy with body mods, then you lose some of the car's identity. I guess I'm an old softy when it comes down to body mods. All the air dams, skirts, wings, etc. might look good to some, but I've always been a fan of the classic lines. That's why I waited until this body style to get back into the pony cars, the retro look brings back lots of fond memories of ponies I've had, even went with the Legend Lime paint on the new pony, same color as my first Mustang.

Now if only someone would come up with a rear valance with the holes in it for dual exhaust

Old 08-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Sick Six
2nd Gear Member

Like everyone else has said there is always gonna be some jackass that does that sort of thing for whatever reason. Like one time I was parked outside of a Hasting music store and when me and my girlfriend came out some s@*t head stuck a chewed up piece of bubble gum on my door handle. For no reason I suspect but jealousy or something. But congrats to you for your new mods and have fun.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Congrats on all the mods...as for the keying that **** sucks. I almost beat the **** out the mexican family that i CAUGHT denting my car the other day. i dont know what it is but it seems like everyone likes to aim for our cars to hit scratch and just plan ruin our days.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:18 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Dude I'm so sorry to hear about the scratch, its like we can't win park to close and you need a can opener due to the tight parking spot someone laid on you and if you park to far theres always the clown in the junker with a need to put a door ding in your prized ride or key it cause he can't have one.

On the better note great job w/the upgrades. I am getting my tune/cai this week so I'm glad I heard the good first. I hope the cost of the key isn't to bad.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37368/D676FB66DAD94268BE130014808010C2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-14-2006, 09:23 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Even better news....

Took the pony to the detailer this afternoon. A little wet sanding in the hands of a pro, some more wax, and a buff job...and WOW!!!!

NO MORE SCRATCH!!! I am totally amazed and thrilled. That key job had me totally depressed and ready to kill, since it happened. But for $50...it was worth it. You can't even see where it was or where they did their magic.

So for anyone with some body work or repairs, if you're ever in Portland, Oregon...check out Superior Auto Body, on Hwy26 east, heading towards Mt Hood. That's the second time I've used them, and both times (first was to rebuild my Ford Exploder) I've been totally satisfied with their work.

Yep, the pony is looking good again