Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Terrible Vibration with Magnaflows

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 05:44 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default Terrible Vibration with Magnaflows

Back in January I got my magnaflows put on by some mom & pop muffler shop. Their customer service was **** the moment I walked in. Long story short, I drove off with a nasty rattle and came back the next day so they could fix it.. and they did.

Now that I got a GT bumper, it's clear as day that the exhaust tips aren't even. The left one is lower than the right and the right one doesn't fit snug in its exhaust opening. So I went back to the muffler shop... against my better judgement, to have them raise both of them into the openings. First thing they do is tell me they can do anything. Bull****, theyre the ones that made it hang that low in the first place. Eventually they heat up the metal and bend it upward to fit into the openings.

Looks great.

I'm about to take off when that good old nasty rattle shot through my entire car. I stop and pull back in. They point out that the metal is rubbing, and there's nothing they can do. I can clearly see what they did last time to fix it. They melted away a piece of metal that it was rubbing against before, and now that it was raised, it's beginning to rub again. They say they're about to close and to come back the next day if it's still vibrating.

Needless to say, the rattling is very obnoxious. At least I only hear it for the first 5 minutes of when the car is started.. for some strange reason, after the car is all warmed up, the rattling goes away?

Not sure who to point fingers at.. but since I'm already mad at this muffler shop... I'll point at them. Of course, they blame it on magnaflow.

So I was just wondering.. if there's anyone that has dual exhaust with a rear GT bumper, if you could post pictures of both how your tips fit into the bumper openings as well as the hangars underneath your car.

I'd like to print it out and show it to the muffler shop. In the mean time, I'm gonna swing by another shop to get a second opinion.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Terrible Vibration with Magnaflows

what do you mean its rubbing? is it too close to the opening? do you have pics?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:48 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Oh no, not rubbing against the bumper opening. The metal hooks are rubbing against the hangar because the muffler shop made a pretzel of it. I'll snap some pictures later tonight.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:56 AM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

ya the reason it rattles when you start it up is because the car stays at high rpm to warm up the engine
this happens with my mrt all them time i just havent gotten around to fixing the hangers
but it does sound like you got a hell of a hack job done with your duals\
i would say check out some of rygens exhaust pics
his exhaust is perfectly done and has duals with the gt bumper
Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

Biggest problem I had was the one clamp attaching the muffler to the pipe over the axel was rubbing againt the frame. A little adjusting fixed that problem. Best to get it on a lift and have some one start and rev it.

In order to get them lined up in the GT bumper I had to heat the the rear hanger on the muffler on the drivers side and bend it downward a little at a time
until I was happy with it sat in the opening.

All said I still get a little vibration from the drivers side in hard left turns.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:25 PM
armycook1981
2nd Gear Member

p/s was fine
d/s side was a pita tho i finially just beat in the sparetire well in a tad were it was rubbing at ... ahh fixxed that.. i had anger issues from it..
Old 08-15-2006, 03:31 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Got my second opinion. Went to a ricer heaven "Speed Factory" where this young fellow slid underneath to take a look. Pointed out the obvious, but then again.. I needed someone else to tell me. The muffler shop, melted away a small square inch of the frame so that the hook could hang onto the hangar without obstacle. The problem is the angle they're using. They could EASILY chop off the hook, and relocate it to another area where the frame wont be in the way. The only reason why the muffler shop wont do anything is because they're lazy. They'll have to take off the muffler, relocate the hook so that it hangs properly (compared the the right side, it's pushing up on the rubber vs. just sitting on it). That's all they need to do, and no more melting apart my frame.