Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

v6's with duals must read!!!

Old 08-15-2006, 02:35 AM
hazestang
2nd Gear Member

Default v6's with duals must read!!!

not sure if this has been posted but I will post again because I haven't seen it.

on the driver side exhaust where it goes over the axle there is a wire cluster against the body on top, if you haven't looked at it yet, you may want to check it to make sure it isn't too close to the exhaust pipe, mine was TOO close and it got ugly

driving down the highway, the car just stalls, I try to start it, but it won't go. I am in the fast lane on interstate 90 in Mass, luckily I made it to the shoulder. Anyway I continue to try and start it, but seems like it isn't getting gas. An hour on the highway, four hours at the dealer. They tell me the exhaust melted the wires in that little cluster which caused a short, which in turn burnt the fuse down by the driver side kick panel. THis particular fuse or harness or whatever the @*#& it is, controls the fuel relay or some crap which, controls something to do with the fuel shut off in case of an accident. it was all melted. SOOOOOOOOO, no relay, no fuel, no run.

The guys really hooked me up though, jerry rigged it so I could drive the second half of the 600 miles so I can make my doctor visit tomorrow.

Anyway, it would be a good idea just to take a quick look. $115 just for the tow to the dealer, OUCH!!!

Damn camera phones, I can't believe this is the only picture I got, oh well

[IMG]local://upfiles/28446/751514CC9F134D1AB49AFE381DEC8A9A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-15-2006, 02:44 AM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: v6's with duals must read!!!

that sucks have you talked to the guys who installed it to see if they will pay for the damages..*or did you do it yourself*???

New info:

My driverside pipe had about and 1- 1 1/2 inch seperation and there is a metal bracket there where it comes that close other then that not close at all

anyone esle???
Old 08-15-2006, 03:25 AM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

wow now im really glad that i got a single
Old 08-15-2006, 01:03 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

That is interesting. I have duals as well and a similar stalling episode happened to me. It hasn't happened in over a week but my yocal Ford dealer said they were unable to find the problem (they ran the ecm and found no Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), that was the extent of their exploration). Do you have any idea if a DTC came up? I had no Check Engine Light (CEL) either. Very strange and something o look into.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:35 PM
hazestang
2nd Gear Member

You should check it out. Mine would stall every once in awhile, then start up again after a few minutes. I just blew it off. Of course, who would have thought to check that scenario. Thank God the guys found a way to charge it to ford warranty, since it really shouldn't have been covered. The mechanic zip tied it up higher, but I think when my shoulder is better I will get up there myself and put some heat tape around it just for a little more safety. I still have to replace the kick panel piece.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:01 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

lol oneof my wires melted throught too!
thank god it was only the trunk light lmao, i dont even care.
i zip tied it out of the way when i smelled the burning plastic of the wire lol.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:05 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Hrmm.. that's scary. I haven't stalled at all, but with my luck.. I'll definitely take a look.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Euronimous

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. thanks for the heads up. Iwas planing on going to duals in the spring.

Does anyone know of the best way to get around the problem. Can a heat shield be made for it?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:08 AM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

I will check mine tomorrow!
Old 08-16-2006, 04:22 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Just zip tie it out of the way, thats what the exhaust shop did to mine cause they noticed it was a little close. Its no reason not to get duals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: v6's with duals must read!!!